The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AEW 'Double or Nothing' Thoughts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
corrado

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be noted that this was probably another Omega brainchild. He had a wrestling show similar to this last year, and all the gaming personalities are pals of his. Jebaliley etc. At least they're doing different avenues to stage their shows than the WWE. Since gaming and e-sports are all the rage.

The opening tag match was very good. Private Party were the stars of the match and maybe the whole night as well. They're going to be huge in AEW.

Yeah the rest of the Buy-In wasn't that good. The thing with the Omega skits is that on the Being the Elite show, one of the recurring bits is that Omega wanted to do a wrestling show similar to the failed Fyre Festival Concert from last year. Which spawned an acclaimed documentary about why it failed etc. Like I said, these are things the WWE doesn't attempt to exploit.

As for the regular show, at least they were trying to make a star in Darby. And at least they gave him a draw. I did see a lot of criticism for him being quickly forgotten when Shawn Spears did his graphic run-in. The Spears thing stems from him being upset at being labeled "a hand" by Cody in the more serious Nightmare Family channel. Spears wants to prove he is more than a "hand"

I actually liked Moxley-Janela. I laughed at Moxley getting "you sick fuck" chants and him bowing to the crowd. The thing that bothered me about this match and Omega's assault afterwards, was that they continue to ignore NJPW. Moxley being assaulted afterwards was meant for him to miss the Fight for the Fallen show in a couple of weeks, since he'll be part of the G1 tourney. So he won't be a part of the next AEW show.

I also wouldn't be shocked if Goldenboy becomes part of the regular AEW announce team. Filling in for JR and/or Marvez.

So this wasn't as memorable as "Double or Nothing" and a few more growing pains than last time. But still some great moments sprinkled in.
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved the Cody vs. Allin match. I think they should have put Cody over because nobody knows Allin at this point and Cody is one of your main event level wrestlers.

I have no problem with the connection to gaming. Orlando and Jacksonville are big gaming spots and I think there is likely a strong connection between the two fanbases, particularly getting gamers that arenít big into wrestling and turning them over into wrestling fans. But for the wrestling fans that arenít gamers (which I would think would be the largest of the factions of fans) itís necessary to have the announce team fill us in. Either way, I think thereís ways to appeal to the crowd than to have a non-wrestler work a goofy match and break the suspension of the fansí disbelief.

I didnít hate the Janela vs. Moxley matchÖI just hated the booking. Janela isnít on Moxleyís level in terms of presence, popularity and ring skill. And imagine Moxley getting badly hurt from this match and the hottest wrestler in the world now out 9-12 months because he got injured in a pointless hardcore match against a wrestler that was nowhere near the same level as him. Injuries happen all of the time in any type of wrestling, but at least a promotion could live with bad luck of a wrestler getting injured in a big drawing match.

What concerns me is that AEW didnít progress this time around. And thatís where they can really separate themselves from the WWE as the fans are fed up with Vince stubbornly sticking to what he wants and when he does change, he does it so begrudgingly that itís completely uninspired. If they canít make an improvement on their Buy-Ins the third time around, I canít see there being a bright future for the company.

YR
corrado

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well early reports have the new Paul Heyman-led RAW being very creative and different than many of the RAW's from the past several years, from a production standpoint, so maybe they're finally going to do something different about the product in time for the AEW TV launch.

back to AEW, I just hope Cody etc don't book themselves uber strong, ala HHH/Steph/Jeff Jarrett. And they don't do much at all with the tired authority figure trope. Just do matches/promos in the ring, backstage interviews. And less of the backstage buy-in skits. Save those for the Being the Elite show.

I think I would have the next big AEW event be something similar to the Starrcades. That could be another "Big 4" event for them. Since they're not obviously counterprogramming with the Rumble and Mania. So why not do what WCW used to do and either do the Starrcades where they originally took place, thanksgiving Saturday. Or the 1990's Starrcade during the last Saturday of the year.
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hardly ever watch RAW, but watched a little bit of it last Monday and I felt like I saw some of Heyman's influence. There was 1 vignette, but it was somewhat plausible as to why the camera would be shown. I did see the wrestlers recite the lines which tells me that Vince is still writing the show, but listening to Heyman as far as how it is formatted and making tweaks here and there.

The big thing that I saw as Heyman's influence was the promo by Baron Corbin and Lacey Evans. This was a full blown promo instead of a stupid vignette.

While the promo itself was nothing to write home about, the way it was shot from underneath...a hallmark of Heyman's producing...gave Corbin and Evans such great presence.

Then Evans wrestles in a match. She's using the Southern Belle gimmick, but useless Renee Young mentions that Evans is a former Marine which just exposed her entire gimmick.

From there, it still had too much of Vince's stank on it and even if Heyman gains more control of the product, he's basically having to write the ending to somebody else's murder mystery...which never works.

YR
corrado

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to AEW as the next Buy-IN will feature a six-man match with Darby All In, Jimmy Havoc and Joey Janela vs MJF, Sammy Guevara and Shawn Spears. Despite the fact that MJF and Shawn Spears had problems because of Spears' attack on MJF's "mentor" Cody Rhodes. So expect some tension from the heel side.

The latest episode of the Road to Fight for the Fallen is recommended mainly for Brandi Rhodes' backstory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MenCGmW5hzw

Sadly there's a few people that are upset because at Fight for the Fallen, Brandi is wrestling a natural face in Allie, and by doing this backstory, more people will cheer for Brandi. I doubt that that's the intention here.
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched Guevera a year ago in-person at a PWG show. I thought he was really good and a natural type of heel. He took an enormous chop from WALTER at the end of the show. The video did not do the chop justice compared to seeing it in-person. It was RIDICULOUS.

I think Guevera is more worth the time and effort than Janela.

I have some fear that the 6-man will be more of a garbage match with Allin, Janela and Havoc. My feeling is that the consensus from the AEW higher ups is that they are trying to create a product that brings all of the indie styles together and trying to capitalize on that market.

My issues with that is that the regular wrestling in-ring style is better than the hardcore wrestling they have put together and the issue with the hardcore stuff is always the injury rate and then having to try and out-do it down the road.

I think they need to be careful here with this match. I think it's too early to do a turn and they need a good Buy-In to make up for hte awful ones they have had so far. And if you let Havoc, Allin and Janela to their own devices...it will turn into a shit show pretty quickly.

I don't quite understand what they are doing with the women's division, yet. I thought Dr. Britt Baker and Smiley Kylie looked great at DoN and we haven't heard a peep from them since. Awesome Kong was mega-over and they found a way to kill her off at DoN and we haven't heard from her since.

They may need to shorten a few matches a little to get 1 more women's match in and develop some continuity for some of the females to get over.

YR
corrado

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its strange that Kylie Rae hasn't been seen or heard from on social media in a while. Hope she's ok. its not like her to just vanish.

I think they're waiting to see if Sasha Banks is staying with the WWE. if she is staying then they'll focus on Britt Baker as the centerpiece of the division. She's a legit dentist and probably going to focus on that part. if Sasha isn't staying, then you've got a Face of the Franchise. Although I'm sure they'll be a 90-day wait though, so they'll work around it.

I think Kong is Hollywood first. depends on when Glow's next season starts filming etc. I can't see her as an AEW regular. Probably a special attraction.

Also keep in mind, the visa situation too. A lot of the joshi wrestlers probably won't be with them with AEW starts their TNT run in the fall. So you're limited right away.
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things that AEW is doing a good job of is building compelling promos for their matches in the upcoming events. They are able to draw the viewer in and buy into the story of why the match is happening and create a background and story for each wrestler.

But, they announced that in the next Buy In it will be a match between Sonny Kiss vs. The Librarian Peter Avalon. I seriously donít know what the hell they are thinking by booking this. Kiss is transgendered and took a lot of flak for appearing at the Buy In Battle Royale at DoN. But, I think for good reason. He did a spot where he butted his ass against Tommy Dreamerís face.

What I think somebody like Kiss (and AEW) donít understand is that stuff comes off as freak show/bush league-ish. And it treats Kiss being transgendered as a gimmick instead of a shoot. The idea should be to have Kiss be a legitimate wrestler who happens to be transgendered and happens to dress lavishly. Allow Kiss to build up respect from the fans and viewers and then you can garner more interest and sympathy towards his story and lifestyle.

And to have him wrestle against Avalon, a gimmick that was about as badly panned as you can ever pan something at Fyterís FestÖis just downright stupid.

YR
corrado

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Sonny Kiss is gay. Nyla Rose is the one who's transgendered.

One of the negative things about AEW that im dreading are the comments about Sonny Kiss and Nyla Rose. The negatitivity is going to be a bit nauseating. And I believe Jim Cornette got a lot of flak for his comments about Sonny and Nyla. Hopefully AEW realizes that stereotyping Sonny and Nyla is passe and don't do much to portray it in a negative light. I'm sure in a future Rhodes family video, we'll get some backstory to them in a positive manner.

In other news the Buy-IN is now a 45-minute show instead of an hour. The actual show starts at 8:15 instead of 8:30. Maybe lot of the criticism of the previous buy-ins got to them, and they're shortening the length to trim the fat. Wouldn't be shocked if at All Out it's either a 30-minute show, or there's just one match/in ring segment while the rest are those video packages and the like.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A redneck wrestling show, to stop gun violence? Really? How does that work?

If this is a promotion with 3-way, ladder matches, and barb wire matches....don't count me in. Looks like a top level independent style. It's the worst of want they brought to NJW.

What network is this on?

Everybody dumps on Sabu....Ok cool...but I see a ton of old Sabu moves being use & all those tables & gimmick matches. Shit. Looks like a new ECW.

I read that they want to have cards with different style matches...so there will be something for everyone. To me, that's saying they have no one to control the matches, and everyone is going to do the shit they always do.

Vince is going to buy up all their talent. When he starts throwing some of his football money around, it will be over.---Yohe
corrado

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that was the best preshow so far of the three. Two matches seems to be the way to go. Kiss/Avalon was fine. Very encouraging and promising that Kiss got a nice babyface reaction. Doesn't hurt that the Librarian gimmick is easily one of the more maligned gimmicks in AEW. Although Avalon's opening bit reminded me of Damian Sandow. The robe and all.

The women's match was fine. I think Britt Baker was concussed during the match. Not her best work. Bea Priestley is going to be a big deal in AEW. Crowd was very receptive to here. Also another positive was that the Japanese women's titles that Bea and Shoko have at the moment, made it to Jacksonville and were acknowledged by the announcers. Unlike the NJPW US title.

There was the biggest AEW production gaffe so far, with the close captioning blocking a lot of the action during the women's match. This went on for half the match. That was WCW level botching there.

I can understand why they moved the 6-man tag match to the regular show. Given that several of the people involved had big moments 2 weeks ago, and a chance for a big angle during the match, putting it outside the free show makes sense.
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Daily Center was pretty cool. It's an outdoor amphitheatre but the way it's designed it feels like an indoor arena. The production and camerawork was brilliant.

A side note, they briefly had Jenn Decker (nee Sterger) as an interviewer. I have to say she does a pretty good job. Most interviewers in today's pro wrestling don't understand the concept that the interviewer has to react to what the wrestler is saying, but not overdo it to take away from the wrestler.

Avalon vs. Kiss was short enough which it needed to be. My guess is that because Avalon is a PWG trained wrestler that he's friends with many of the guys and if he's not working in AEW he has to go back to his day job. His work and physique are much improved in just a year's time, but the librarian gimmick is a death knell to somebody's career. Kiss has some great athleticism, but is green. He can't control the ebb and flow of a singles match from what I've seen. It is what it is...thankfully, it was short.

Britt Baker had to be hurt badly. Although I'm not sure what it was from. Bea Priestly looks like a future superstar. The Joshi gals still have some sloppiness to their game. Nakajima just isn't very good. Shitty looking missed clotheslines and not very crisp with the spots. Riho was really good here after the lousy forearm sequence with Nakajima.

Janela proved why he'll always be an indie guy. He's supposed to be selling a move but had to flip off the camera and say 'fuck you Cornette.' He also came out to a tepid response which makes you wonder why AEW is so big on him. Yeah, he drew a nice crowd in New Orleans a year ago, but he's just not that over, he doesn't have presence and he doesn't do anything special.

Havoc looked good here. Allin seemed to be nursing some injuries and got limited time. Spears looked fine, but nothing to write home about. MJF didn't get much play (why they are not pushing this guy harder is beyond me). But the star of this match was Guevera. He was downright spectacular. And he missed a key moment where he went back and forth hitting incredible moves on each side of the ring. He needed to get to the center of the ring and take a bow, but he was cut off by...of course...Janela. This was pretty good high spot festival.

Brandi vs. Allie should have never happened on the main card. And it was shitty booking. The last thing AEW needs to do is to book another evil authority figure. Brandi just isn't very good and Allie doesn't have the skill to carry her. And ladies...stop throwing forearms if they look like shit.

This set up Awesome Kong vs. Aja Kong...which would've been great 12 years ago.

The 3-way tag was great although they ruined some of it with goofy comedy spots. Then having Marko Stunt interfere was bad enough, but the execution was even worse. Other than that, this was an awesome spot fest. Grayson was the best in the match followed by Luchasaurus. I see Luchasaurus as a tag wrestler for now until he starts to learn to wrestle singles. This guy has amazing ability for a big man. Grayson was downright fantastic. Evil Uno has put on a ton of weight since I've last seen him. They need a better gimmick, but regardless...this was a great match.

Page vs. Sabian was meh. I've never seen Sabian before. It wasn't bad by any means although the silly 'you chop me and I'll chop you' spot went on here. Page got a legit shiner and looked to hardway juice. . Jericho attacked Page afterward.

SCU vs. Lucha Bros was another classic AEW spot fest. Unfortunately, they'll be having the Lucha Bros vs. Young Bucks in a ladder match at All Out. I don't think they need to go to ladder matches, yet. But, these guys probably can't help themselves.

Kenny Omega vs. CIMA was arguably the match of the night with the 3-way tag match. This didn't have the goofy comedy spots that the 3-way tag match had. This was Omega vs. Okada, but man...it wasn't too far behind. Both guys were amazing.

Young Bucks vs. Rhodes Bros. was solid. This was more of a traditional tag match instead of a high spot fest. The refereeing was really screwy at points because they made it like a tornado style tag match and then had it as a traditional style match. The crowd was pretty much zapped before this. I don't know about Jacksonville, but today in Orlando it was 85 and humid as all hell. The crowd was going to have a difficult time making it thru the entire card with the same energy. I don't quite get jobbing Cody. Your main stars of the company are the Young Bucks, Omega, Moxley, Jericho and Cody. So jobbing Cody is just bad booking.

In the end, this was a good show, but more importantly they learned from mistakes in the past. I think that's something that today's more 'sophisticated' fans look for in a wrestling product. They don't want stuff that gets panned or offends their intelligence to continue to be shoved down their throats. The main event wasn't as hot as the other main events, but the the weakest parts of the card were far stronger than the weak spots of the previous cards.

YR
corrado

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually thought by all accounts, tonight's show was a step back. The term 'growing pains" applies here.

The big thing from the women's division is that we're going to get a battle of the Kongs. Awesome vs Aja. That sounds like the most interesting thing from that division. yeah and it was strange after Brandi's backstory, that she's now a Stephanie McMahon expy.

its crystal clear that Chris Jericho is going to win the AEW title. The best thing for Adam Page is to give him a "babyface quest" gimmick. Him coming close to winning the title on a few occasions, only to lose. And to come out stronger with each loss, so that his title win down the line is a big thing.

The Tag team division continues to be a standout part of the promotion. This time it was Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus's time to shine. Even though they lost, like Private Party, they were the scene stealers which should help them in the future. especially, Luchasaurus. I thought he would be a one match wonder after the battle royal. But he stayed around, and now you have another top tag team in the making. With Bryan Alvarez's arch enemy as their manager. Could get more trios matches too.

The overall pacing of the promotion is getting weaker and weaker. The show ended just before midnight. And this after they trimmed the preshow to 45 minutes. I mean the 20 minute time limit should be enforced in every match. The main event went over 20. They have more work to do to fix the production kinks, before the weekly TNT show.

And finally make Marvez one of the backstage interviewers. he's more suited in that environment than the third wheel on the announce team.
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three man announce teams just don't work. Marvez was light years better than DoN, but you could resurrect Gordon Solie, JR in his prime and Lance Russell and a 3-man announce team will not work.

My main worry about the booking is that they seem overly protective of not killing off the talent that they are not getting new talent over as much as they should because the fear of killing a wrestler's heat also comes at the expense of getting other wrestler's momentum.

Granted, I think they can do more with the booking once they get the titles situated. And AEW has not had many shows to really get momentum for wrestlers.

But, at this point the top tier players are the Young Bucks, Omega, Moxley, Jericho and Cody. They should not be jobbing to anybody but those in this group.

The next tier is Adam Page and...that's really it.

Nobody else has any momentum or anything close to getting momentum.

YR
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To survive they need a deal with NJW. I fear they've all watched too much WCW, ECW, TNA, & WWE....and see no other way.--Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Wrestling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: