The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

L.A. Dodgers = Fun (MLB Thread)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do make mistakes.

They haven't had a real decent second baseman, let alone a good one, for at least half a decade. A fair number of their attempts have bombed. The team is so good that it tends to get ignored. They've moved between accepting defense out of the position when not having a hitter, or things like Kiki and Muncy where you're giving away defense for a bat. Problem has been that the defense hasn't been great from the defensive guys, and Kiki's bat has been so-so this year, while Muncy has been a lesser player due to so much 2B (let alone the dumb ass experiment of playing Joc at 1B which screwed him up for a stretch as a hitter while being a bomb defensively).

It's possible that Lux will fix the issue, if he's the long term 2B and if his bat is strong enough to make up for learning how to play 2B. The positive is that they haven't desperately tossed a ton of long term money at a mediocre player to plug the hole. Short term stuff, trying to figure things out.

Jimmy Rollins was a mistake. Overly committed to him at a point where he was old and declining. Short term, the last year of his contract so there wasn't a lot of risk. On the other hand, if they had a lesser player on for lesser money, they might have cut bait earlier in the year and brought up Corey earlier. It was a minor mistake, and the team was good enough that it didn't matter much.

That's the key thing - they don't make big mistakes, like the Halos did in signing Puljos to that ten year contract. You kind of hope they eventually figure out the 2B issues, or shake out a new closer. But they don't get desperate on anything causing them to make a Big Mistake that screws up things for years.

Smart organization.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiki is great, in my eyes, defensive player & clutch. He uses a lot of relief pitchers & it takes up space on the roster. In this system everyone has to move around & fill in. 2nd base is where they dump people. Positioning in the field, seems to be more important today than actual defense in today's game. Haft the field is open 75% of the time. And you can't catch a homerun.

Muncy is great. He has to play.

The defense was good until he move Joc to 1B. That screwed everyone up & the defense went to shit. It was like telling everyone the defense doesn't matter. Joc just hits HRs & he goes thru long periods of doing nothing. And they over rate him.

I think the key to there success is Taylor & Kiki. But in the baseball playoff what matters is who gets hot & it's a lot of luck.

I've had a good 6 to 7 years watching this team. Somethings have pissed me off, but I respect their judgement. It's the only LA team, that reminds me of my childhood feeling about sports. I'm a everyday fan & the ending really isn't that important to me. I just want a smart team, that doesn't choke. And a owner who doesn't vote for Trump.---Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
Kiki is great, in my eyes, defensive player & clutch.

Over his career he's been a mediocre defensive 2B. This year he's pretty average.

As for clutch, he's a .254/.279/.476 High Leverage hitter this year. Some pop, but the BA isn't much and the OBP is horrid. The Dodgers offensive success is both in getting on base (a lot) and hitting the long ball (a lot). Kiki does one decently in the clutch, and bombs out on the others.

It's a choppy year. I thought he was in for a excellent year with the hot start. Then he fell off the cliff for two years... just awful. He looked to be turning it around before the injury. He's been up and down since coming off the DL.

Quote:
He uses a lot of relief pitchers & it takes up space on the roster. In this system everyone has to move around & fill in. 2nd base is where they dump people. Positioning in the field, seems to be more important today than actual defense in today's game. Haft the field is open 75% of the time. And you can't catch a homerun.

Positioning is important, but you still need to cover your part of the field. We've seen plenty of times this year where the Dodgers have had issues with it. Not enough to sink the team, but times where it's a worry.

Again, I'm not historically a big mark for defense. I'm an Offense guy, hardcore OBP & SLG dude long before most of the teams in MLB were or things like Moneyball made it famous. But a lot of us early Jamesians also underrated the value of defense. There is a balance, and teams have gotten much smarter about it over the past decade.

Quote:
Muncy is great. He has to play.

I like Muncy a good deal too. He's is more than a bit odd - he comes from *the* organization when his talents and cost would be most appreciated, and really bombed out there. His leap when coming up to the bigs is pretty inexplicable given what he's done the rest of his career (including his minors prior to the Dodgers). It's... odd. Love it. My kind of guy: BB+HR. But it's odd.

He's also not young - he just turned 29. The key with guys like him are not to overpay when they come up on free agency time. If you can keep him on a good, short term deal... that's fine. If you've got to pay him $20M a year for 5+ years, it's a risk. The team has him under cost control for the next three seasons, though arbitration will escalate hit salary pretty quick. They might sign him in the off season to a reasonable deal to buy off his arbitration years, with him looking at it as guaranteed money after basically not making shit for his entire playing career. He's be 32 when hitting free agency... so time to be careful about overpaying for too long.

I do think they need to put him at 1B and pretty much leave him the fuck alone. I get the team likes a versatile roster. I'm fine with the occasional turn at 3B like last year. Much less fine about the amount of time he's been at 2B this year.

Quote:
The defense was good until he move Joc to 1B. That screwed everyone up & the defense went to shit. It was like telling everyone the defense doesn't matter. Joc just hits HRs & he goes thru long periods of doing nothing. And they over rate him.

Joc does more than hit home runs, though it's best at what he does. He also will take a walk and take getting plonked, so his OBP isn't terrible despite hitting .242. He's a good LF/RF, and actually having a really fine season with the glove out there this year. He can't play CF anymore, after being perfectly average out there when he came up. Playing him at 1B was a massive mistake by Dave. He can't hit LHP is his life depended on it.

He's a useful player. Problem is that he's a FA after next year.

My guess is that Verdugo is the long term LF, with Cody the long term RF (unless they shake out a RF and move Cody to 1B), and that CF is a spot they will work on longer term since Pollock is just a patch (along with all the other stuff they're trying in CF like Cody and Verdugo).

Code:
I think the key to there success is Taylor & Kiki. But in the baseball playoff what matters is who gets hot & it's a lot of luck.

Without even getting to the pitchers, I wouldn't have Kiki or Taylor in the top 5 of their keys among the positions players. They're not Cody or Muncy or Turner, and especially in the case of Cody and Muncy in terms of insanely cheap contracts for what they deliver. They're paying less than $1.5M combined for Cody and Muncy... just nuts.

Kiki and Taylor aren't as valuable as Corey or Joc this year, both of whom are also cheap.

Kiki and Taylor are useful role players, like Freese and Pollack and Beaty. The team has five of them, which is pretty cool.

Quote:
I've had a good 6 to 7 years watching this team. Somethings have pissed me off, but I respect their judgement. It's the only LA team, that reminds me of my childhood feeling about sports. I'm a everyday fan & the ending really isn't that important to me. I just want a smart team, that doesn't choke.

I like a good team as well. It's what I grew up watching the Dodgers do in the 70s on into the 80s. I do want a WS title so that the team isn't written off as a side that never did anything. But I don't need the 3-in-5 years that the Giants had a few years back. Bag a world title and have the team firing bullets for another 5-8 years and I'd be perfectly happy. The team is in far better shape now than when Ned Colletti ran the show... though Ned's crew did draft some good players that Friedman & Zaidi didn't piss away through bad trades.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: