The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A 20 year old letter from Jim Melby (July 1998)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: A 20 year old letter from Jim Melby (July 1998) Reply with quote

A Jim Melby Letter
from
Whatever Happened To.....? Number 37
Published by Scott Teal
July 1998

Hi! As always, it was very nice visiting with you on the phone the other night. I've been printing nostalgia and history publications longer than anyone, going back to the 60's with the original Rasslin' Results. For me, it has never been a matter of turning a profit. That is the real reason all of these people, such as Keller, ttc, do it. It is the love of wrestling history. Of course, a lot of people get their egos stroked, labeled as experts. The only real historians around are Tom Burke (Although not an active participant as far as research or publishing at the present time.) Chuck Thornton, J Michael Kenyon, Fred Hornby, Don Luce (without a doubt, “number one”), Koji Miyamoto, Haruo Yamaguchi, Matt Buziak, Steve Yohe, and the two of us. Both George Schire and Bart Bucher aren't actively doing research, but certainly are tops in hepling us type up others research. Royal Duncan fits in that same category. Sheldon Goldberg and Evan Ginzburg pubish things which are on the fringe of nostalgia. Mark Hewitt is an excellent historian, who I would like to see published more frequently. When Richard Haynes was active, he published a number of records, all of which were filled with mistakes, which he purposely chose to edit that way. Look no further than his Longson record book. He eliminated every disqualification, which in essence made Bill, not the first great heel champion, but rather a jobber.

My challenge to you is to keep the faith and not ler “Whatever Happened To....?” go by the wayside. Between my efforts of doing career ring records and publishing scrapbooks, and your indepth interviews, we are keeping history preserved. I will continue to help you in any way I can, including the use of my collection of photographs and programs (which is the largest in the world). Let me know if you have room for a column from me in this issue, or if you just want to use this letter as an editorial style column, that would be fine. I may have stepped on some toes here, but I have spoken the truth as I see it.

I don't think people realize that being a collector doesn't make one a historian. Dr Robert Bryla, John Pantozzi, and Michael Bauman are big-time collectors. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that, in and of itself. I'm just making the distinction. Others such as Luce, Thornton, Yohe, and I are constantly digging up new information. That fits more of what a historian actually does.

Jim Melby
St Paul, MN
July 1998
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Eighties All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: