The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AEW Dynamite Thoughts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:43 am    Post subject: AEW Dynamite Thoughts Reply with quote

I haven’t watched NXT, yet. And I have very little plans to do so. I think AEW Dynamite will get the proverbial ‘hit a home run’ last night or ‘hit a strong double’, so I will go with AEW Dynamite being a ‘success.’ Mainly because I always think about ECW’s first PPV Barely Legal when I think about debuts hitting ‘home run’ or a ‘strong double’ and then watching ECW’s PPVs mostly stink afterward.

I’m a little curious as to who booked the show because it was very smartly booked and better booked than any of the PPV shows. I even contemplated the fact that they didn’t book Luchasauras and Jungle Boy, perhaps the fastest up-and-coming tag team in the world, but they are very gimmicky and it’s probably best to not start off the first show with so many gimmicks. Meanwhile, there was no Orange Cassidy or Joey Janela which kept me tuned into the show.

I’ve never cared too much about the production, but the production values were top notch here. And while I loath 3-man announce teams, Schiavone, Ross and Excalibur did about as well as a 3-man announce team can do.

I was also happy to see Sammy Guevara get some feature to the show. I could’ve done without the interference from Brandi Rhodes. It makes little sense that Cody, the superior wrestler, would need interference from his wife. Particularly when Cody is the face. Even when Guevara did the heel move of pulling Brandy in front of him as Cody went to hit him with the elbow suicida, the psychology was off as you didn’t really blame Guevara for doing so.

MJF got in a quick victory which was needed as he could use the momentum and needed it to done in a short time. And it was a nice change of pace from the PPV’s where every match is 20+ minutes long.

Page vs. PAC was fine. The pace was slower than I expected. It’s tough to have such a slow pace in modern day wrestling because they are doing so many spots these days that you can’t sell as much as they used to. I was a little surprised to see Page lose, now his 2nd match in a row.

The Riho vs. Nyla Rose match wasn’t very good except for at the end where they executed a couple of near finishes to perfection. I don’t think Riho is a good worker at all. She lacks the athleticism and coordination at her size to make things look good and believable….particularly against somebody as big as Rose. But again, those near falls were executed so perfectly that it got the crowd really into the match. I just wonder if Riho can do it again. It was good to see an old fashioned babyface save at the end with Omega coming in to save Riho. I don’t think we see enough of those anymore.

I didn’t have a problem with the 6 man tag. It ‘was what it was.’ It’s a good idea to get Moxley involved and I’m glad that they are setting up a feud with Omega…who in a short time in the ring…looked fantastic. So did the Young Bucks and the LAX crew. Hell, even Jericho looked fine.

And I liked how LAX, Jericho, Guevara and now Jake Hager were attacking The Elite. Good to see Hager back as he’s a legit shooter that has size and ability in the ring. They’ll have to figure out ways to deodorize the WWE stink that he had on him. But, if AEW wanted a bigger, monster like, athlete on their roster…Hager is a good pickup for them.

That’s what makes me believe that Jim Ross probably played more of a role in the booking here.

My only gripes…and they are small ones….was the psychology of Brandy interfering in the match, the lack of saves of the babyfaces at the end (where was MJF or Page trying to save The Elite?) and they did run a lot of commercials.

But, they’ve got my attention for next week and they are now pointed in the right direction after looking like they were going the wrong direction in the PPVs. Now, let’s see if they can go from pointing in the right direction to taking off in the right direction.

YR
corrado

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah this was a great start to the weekly AEW shows. Schiavone was great. Announcers were fine in general.

The breakout star last night was Sammy. Cody made the right call in featuring him to start the show. Good match. Good heat afterwards. And he got to play a big part in the show-ending angle. And a lot of it because WINS AND LOSSES MATTER.

The Women's match was OK. I was stunned when Riho won. I wonder if there was an audible called when the underdog didn't win on NXT's women's title match, which happened around the same time. And the Omega run-in made sense in that Riho and Michael Nazawa are his close pals.

I should point out, one of the big positives last night, was the crowd managing to stay hot throughout the night. Nothing clunky happened to make the heat simmer down as the show went on. They made sure to keep the show action-packed and not have long promo segments.

The main gripe I had with the show was that on the Being the Elite show, they teased dissension with Omega and the Young Bucks. Omega started to act very crazy maybe because WINS AND LOSSES MATTER. On last night's show though, Omega and the Bucks palled around like nothing happened. If they want to make the BTE show canon with the AEW show, then they have to continue that.

At least with the commercials, they did the picture in picture gimmick, which WWE does.

Or maybe Moxley's appearance on the show could mean more development for Omega. There really is no body like Moxley on US wrestling TV. Just so different compared to everyone else. My favorite. Great climax to the segment with the glass.

I thought they were going to have the entire roster brawl to end the show. Instead we got a new sort of stable with Jake Hager. It wasn't much of a shock given that SI mentioned he might appear, and that the WWE has iron-clad contracts now so no one from there could appear. Kind of disturbing to hear a loud "We the People" chant from the crowd given what's going on today all over. They also name dropped Bellator too so expect some promotion there.

So this was a nice opener to the show, and hopefully they can keep up the momentum. They have a lot of talent they that didnt use last night, which will surely be used in the weeks to come.
corrado

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It did very well in the ratings, defeating NXT:

https://www.thewrap.com/all-elite-wrestling-dynamite-ratings-aew-nxt-wwe/

Time will tell though who will come out on top for the long run.
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the WWE trying to babyface their way on Twitter. They thought they could stymie AEW by throwing out NXT and grabbing some of the same fans and then if AEW lost in the ratings they could label AEW as inferior as they lost to their C Team.

I did listen to JR's podcast and he mentioned Hager as a guy he would like AEW to sign. In years past I would have said 'typical JR wanting to hire an Oklahoma guy', but Hager fits in well here. After hearing that I figured that they would sign Hager sooner (pun intended) or later. I didn't read the SI piece so I was pleasantly surprised by his appearance.

I think AEW needs to stay away from all of these heel and face turns. Again, that's a WWE style of booking and the more they can do opposite of WWE, the better. So Omega not turning on the YB is a good move. Not only do Wins and Losses matter, but so should heel and face turns. Otherwise, you're The Big Show...a wrestler that nobody cares about despite being a legit 7' tall, 400+ pound guy that can do dropkicks and can work.

I like the run ins where the faces save other faces. Heyman described why it's really important years ago as it builds up an urgency to save the face. It also leads to logical psychology as you would think Page or MJF whom have ties to The Elite, would have saved their buddies.

Page not saving The Elite makes some sense as you could argue that he was hurt from the match against PAC. They'll probably argue that MJF is a heel and wouldn't save Cody, but I think if he did try to save Cody and got beat down that would build some more sympathy and likeability towards MJF and when that turn against Cody comes it would have a greater impact (or you could have Cody turn on MJF).

Just little plot holes and perhaps not maximizing what they could do with some storylines.

I am glad that they are pushing Guevara. I watched him at a PWG event for the first time back in April 2018 and I thought the kid had future superstar all over him. Even the PWG crowd treated him as a big time heel. And then he took maybe the most ferocious chop I've ever heard from Walter at the end of the show.

YR
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched the show & thought it was well done. Liked the woman's match. I'll continue watching until it turns into WCW. If they were smart they'll create a rule not allowing for their world title to be defended on the TV show. Give fans something & give fans a reason to buy the PPVs. I don't think they have the talent to continue and give away major matches on TV. ---Yohe
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
Watched the show & thought it was well done. Liked the woman's match. I'll continue watching until it turns into WCW. If they were smart they'll create a rule not allowing for their world title to be defended on the TV show. Give fans something & give fans a reason to buy the PPVs. I don't think they have the talent to continue and give away major matches on TV. ---Yohe

I think you're problem with not defending the world title on TV is that TNT will want AEW to do so and their contract will pay more than PPV buys and is not nearly as expensive as there is no $250K buy-in like there is for a PPV.

YR
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the build up is only for TV.....and not for something special like a PPV or some other idea … it will die. Their roster will not be big enough for cards filled with major matches each week. --- Steve Yohe
corrado

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if they do decide to do a title match on TV, let's just hope it's not a 10 second match resulting in a title change. And then, after the match, focus on a non-wrestler making a run-in while the former champ is an afterthought.
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
If the build up is only for TV.....and not for something special like a PPV or some other idea … it will die. Their roster will not be big enough for cards filled with major matches each week. --- Steve Yohe

I was thinking they may have too large of a roster. From the sounds of it they have apparently signed 60+ wrestlers in some form or another. Crockett had a roster of 30, WWF in the 80's had rosters of 50-60 guys. ECW was closer to 30.

But, it's part of the crux of the wrestling business these days. You make youre money off the TV deal and PPV's (if you can get them to sell). I don't know if AEW did themselves any favors by starting the initial PPV prices so high. They're going to have to do some excellent booking to get fans to want to continue to buy the PPV's at that price. But with the TV deal they'll need the ratings and I can see Time Warner having an issue with only putting the heavyweight title up on PPV.

YR
corrado

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AEW has a B-show every Tuesday night, which features the dark matches that took place before and after Dynamite, called AEW Dark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaTJDgOPS2I

Darby/Cima was very good. Match of the show.
corrado

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some ways I thought week 2 was better than week 1 of Dynamite.

The right team went over with Private Party beating the Young Bucks in a great match. Glad they went with that outcome.

Jericho burying the We the People chant was great too. Nice little shoot on WWE Creative. Inner Circle is a good name too.

I think the breakout star of week 2 was Darby. Big win for him, but what he'll be remembered more for, will be what he did much later.

I saw someone online comment on this, but yeah I think they should've went with some sort of Moxley promo. Now that's someone who needs a promo a week.

I thought one of the best parts of the show was Pac voicing his displeasure with Darby/Jimmy Havoc being for a chance to face Jericho, while he beat Kenny Omega and Adam Page and he got nothing.

Looks like they addressed a mild criticism of last week, as they had the Young Bucks and MJF make the save against the Inner Circle. But what a lot of people will talk about, was Darby Allin skateboarding to the ring and attacking Jericho. That was a great spot.
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally watched Episode 2 via On Demand last night. I thought the booking was good, but the execution has some sparse moments.

The Young Bucks vs. Private Party was a nice surprise and they told the story of the underdog sticking around for too long and coming away with a victory. They must be fans of watching the Dallas Cowboys :)

Some of the execution was really piss poor like the Private Party member (can't remember who) doing a springboard and getting double superkicked where he landed 3 feet short of YB and had no chance of actually attacking the YB. Some stuff was also very overly choreographed. But the story and the selling of Private Party and the cockiness of the YB worked here and got over with the fans.

Jericho was the MVP of the show. That promo was fantastic and he got Hager over and likely put those 'We the People' chants to rest. That's what they need to do with Hager, get the WWE stink off him.

I liked Havoc vs. Allin. One problem...and all promotions tend to do this...mute out the entrance music and noise when somebody is doing a promo. It like trying to listen to somebody in front of you talking while hearing loud music coming from the other room. This was something that Heyman was smart to do when with ECW. If there was a real promo (outside of the Misirlou stuff) he would usually have a dark background where the focus was on the wrestler and what the wrestler was saying. I thought Havoc's promo was solid, nothing earth shattering...but got lost in the mix of the split screen and his entrance music.

Allin works well because he's incredibly quick, has some legit wrestling holds and sells really well. And this match didn't have 9,000 false finishes and didn't go on forever.

The woman's tag match wasn't that good. Riho actually looked the best I've seen her so far. But there was a lack of ebb and flow to the match and the breakup between Baker and Priestly looked awful and unconvincing. Y'know who the star of the women's division is? Referee Aubrey Edwards.

Moxley vs. Spears was so-so. Blanchard really struggled as a manager out there. I think there's a reason why former full-time wrestlers make for poor managers, they're not used to speaking for somebody else and don't have the gusto to interfere and bump in their older age. Tully should probably follow JJ Dillon's blueprint more.

Showing The Best Friends promo reeked of WWE silliness. Orange Cassidy got a tepid response compared to All Out. Maybe they'll realize that he's not going to be mainstream as comedy wears thin in wrestling and some people get it and other don't.

Moxley did some no selling early on and then sold for weaker stuff. And here's where I don't like the writing as I think Spears needs to get a victory instead of putting Moxley over. I'm guessing they wanted one of their best hands to put Moxley over and Spears was the person that best fit that role.

I really hope they don't have Omega vs. Moxley in a garbage match. There's no reason for this to happen. If AEW can't build up a match between the hottest wrestler in Japan and perhaps the world before Moxley came along to become the hottest wrestler in the world without having to resort to garage wrestling...there's a problem. Seriously, somebody needs to step in and make everybody involved realize this.

The main event was good and I'm glad that they're giving Guevara the push. The schmozz at the end worked as that skateboard spot by Allin was ridiculous. And now you have a set of clearly defined heels (The Inner Circle) and faces (The Elite, MJF and Allin). I really hope they don't turn MJF on Cody for a long time in order to make it special.

Overall, still good enough to keep me interested and watching. I think the issue they're going to have is when the rest of the Tag Team tourney has to be settled and bad gimmicks like The Best Friends, Dark Order, etc. have to come into play.

YR
corrado

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah they've been trying to have clean finishes with most of their matches instead of DQ's, count-outs, ref bumps etc. Hager's interference was one of the first, if not the first time that there wasn't a 100% clean finish. At least on Dynamite.

It seems fitting that on the week that we may have seen the last of Jeff Hardy, that the torch was passed to Darby. In terms of getting that emo/skater demographic that Jeff possessed. Not to mention a lot of the crazy stunts in the ring.
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall this show didn’t excite me as much as it did the live audience. For me the biggest issue is that it was a lot of tag matches and their tag teams all do very similar things. One thing I noticed is that if all 4 wrestlers are fighting each other they will ALWAYS have it so one team is getting the upper hand on the other team until it is switched. For instance, Scorpio Sky will be beating up on Chuck Taylor while Kazarian will be beating up on Baretta. Then Taylor will hit a reversal on Sky and Baretta will follow suit. Happens EVERY time. Small things like that make things mundane after a while.

Not exactly sure why the Lucha Bros attacked SCU, but it could be interesting if they made the Lucha Bros heels in the company. The problem is that I think that role is being taken by LAX.

I never really got the appeal of Chuck Taylor other than I love his finisher. He runs around the ring kinda goofy as well. Scorpio Sky was the star here, but unfortunately they botched their finisher. The match was otherwise fairly solid.

Santana and Ortiz match was exactly what it should be. Dominate and get over. Jericho with another excellent promo.

The Cody promo was excellent, again.

And then we start to get to the slow down of the show. Riho bores me and Britt Baker is over-pushed. Baker has looked good, once, in AEW. That was against Kylie who I think may be a far better worker than I thought because Baker appears to be a far worse worker than I thought. Quote of the night from Schiavone ‘those shots (from Riho) don’t look like much, but they have more behind than they look’ (sic). Umm, no. They look like shit and Baker isn’t good enough to carry Riho.

Having said that, the crowd is really into Riho. Although they probably didn’t see the spot where Baker had more daylight than an Alaskan summer day between her and Riho on a pinfall attempt and Riho bridged out of it. Watching it on TV was embarrassing.

My guess is that Riho looks the part of the underdog. She’s sorta shy, cute and polite and has hit some quality false finishes. But for me, she’s so bad and unconvincing in the ring that the only thing that entertains me is my puzzled look at how over her matches are. It’s like me watching Jeff Dunham do standup.

That’s too bad about Luchasaurus. I know they had Marko Stunt as their manager/tag-a-long and used him. To me, that was a bad idea as he diminished The Lucha Bros. They had to fill this time segment, so the participants had to find a way to make a match out of this. They should’ve grabbed somebody like Nakazawa instead. Stunt did perform well, but he’s just too unconvincing in size. Hell, it would be more believable to have Nyla Rose as Perry’s partner.

I liked Omega/Page vs. Moxley/PAC a lot although I’m not really digging Moxley’s work so far in AEW. Too much goofy no selling and over-doing the psycho badass gimmick too much. They’re going to do the garbage match at Baltimore between the two which is beyond stupid. Have an actual series of matches first and THEN have the garbage match towards the end. Or have a ‘best of 7’ matches. But this match showed why I would trust Omega as a main eventer over anybody else in the company. He’s just really fantastic here and a step above Page (who has looked great the past two weeks), Moxley and PAC.

Jericho vs. Allin was really good as well. I’d prefer they don’t go down the rabbit hole of garbage matches. But they kept it light for the most part and then the story revolved around Allin’s athleticism and never say die spirit despite having his hands taped behind his back. Even though I prefer more of an old school approach, I can appreciate the athleticism and how Allin made it plausible. The Hager run-in wasn’t very well executed as the referee wasn’t out of position.

The big question will be on the ratings for this show as last week’s ratings were down. They blamed baseball but it’s still something to worry about. I think they dug a hole for themselves with the Tag Tourney as too many of the tag teams work too much alike and they either need to figure out a way to switch things up or just end the tourney quickly. Hager probably needs to work a squash match, soon. And they need to figure out a way to keep the heat on Cody, Omega and Moxley all as singles competitors.

YR
corrado

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another solid show. There were a few flaws with it though.

Luchasaurus is going to be out a couple of months with a hamstring injury. A shame as he was solid in the ring. So marko Stunt took his place. Now at least the match wasn't a total total squash. Like a few minutes long instead of the match we got last night. Still I enjoyed it actually. And understandable considering this was basically booked on the fly. So I can't hate on this.

I did like the Lax squash, mainly that enchantment talent was used. THat's how you do squashes in AEW, instead of the other minor wrestlers on the roster.

The Cody segment was fantastic. I guess the Road to series has been put in the back burner due to Dynamite. It should be noted too that Cody had 0 appearances on the live portion of the show. And the Young Bucks had a minor role helping tend to Christopher Daniels.

I do have to say Riho might be one of the breakout stars, in terms of being largely unknown to most of the American wrestling fanbase before Dynamite. At least some of the other breakout talent had big indie roles but Riho, so credit to Omega for helping with her push.

Ok, the main gripe I have with this show is that there was 0 mention of the Omega/Janela match from AEW Dark. That was kind of insulting. I mean it was a fine match, which Im sure some people probably won't dig. But I enjoyed it. I mean Omega did use a few of Moxley's moves so makes it more confusing, for the snub.

That being said, the Moxley/Pac vs Page/Omega tag match was the best match of the night. Awesome match. And at least they had Pac and Moxley have a lot of tension during the match, as opposed to random tag partners getting along for no reason at all. Ending was notable because PAC took his 2nd loss of the past 2 years. With Pac/Moxley booked for next week I would do either a double count-out, or a time limit draw. You know to protect them. I also did like that they had a Moxley inset during his entrance. We finally got to hear him speak, albeit in vignette form. Which is perfectly fine with me.

Main event was of course fine. But it paled in comparison to the match before. Maybe the LAX squash could've preceded it. Still a great match, and I have no problem with Hagar attacking Darby. The fact that Chris Jericho, the AEW Champion, had problems putting away someone like Darby, well hopefully that means he'll have a spot on the upper card of the roster. Still a fine main event showing for Darby.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Wrestling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: