The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2019-2020 L.A. Lakers Thread (That's All Folks)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dallas just took them apart in the 3rd QT. Passing & shooting was great. They had no answer to it, & they never will if Dallas can play like that.

What is Rondo's neg & positive % numbers when in the game. I have a feeling he is killing out defense. He runs around like he is doing something & he isn't.

He takes the ball away from James too. They are better with James controlling the ball. I think Rondo's talk is better than his game. They need to look into that.

Caruso fits in better.

Kuzma is doing nothing.

Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rondo's +/- is mediocre for relative to the team:

Lakers Plus Minus

Raw +/- isn't a great stat and can skew. There are also other variations of +/-, such as ESPN's Real Plus Minus which I'm not a massive fan of.

More generally speaking...

Rondo's defense has been poor, and his offense limited. The problem is that Cook's defense has been worse, and his offense hasn't been good either. Caruso's defense has been pretty good, but his offense has been horrible.

If the team wants to look for some help as the season goes along, bench PG help would be one of the places. There are team match ups where one of those guys might be useful off a deeper bench. But none of them are like Lou Williams where they bring such a strong positive (monster offense off the bench) where you can tolerate the negative (mediocre defense) and make some adjusts to how you use him against certain match ups.

Kuzma is a problem defensively, which makes means he needs to be Lou Williams when it comes to offense. The problem is that Lou creates offense for himself and others. Kuzma struggles to create it for himself, let alone others.

This is somewhat minor stuff now. The key is largely health. They can work around the margins as the season goes on.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Laker stats look weak, yet the record is a dominating type 17-3.

Why?

Yohe
JAG

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck the Nuggets as a contender.

Thatís a championship-mettle win. Essentially wire to wired em.

Jagdip
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good win. More help from the bench that I would have expected with Bradley out.

I wouldn't write off the Nuggets just yet. Joker is off to a subpar start compared to how terrific he was last year. He was subpar tonight, and I wouldn't say it was just our defense being good on him. Their bench is almost across the board down from last year, and the supporting player they added (Jerami Grant) at the expense of their #1 pick in the coming draft is off his OKC feed. Their offense is way off from last year, with no good reason for it. That was the case tonight as well. Some of it was out defense, but not all.

I'd be happy for someone else to knock them off rather than play them in the playoffs. :)
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
The Laker stats look weak, yet the record is a dominating type 17-3.

Why?

The stats aren't that bad. We don't play at a high pace - 17th out of 30 teams. Our scoring is per 100 possessions is actually better than it looks: 8th in the league per 100 possessions, with the defense 4th. We force a good number of turnovers, lead the league in blocks (while being blocked the least), hold our opponents to a low 3P%... lots of little things adding up on defense.

Maybe we should be 16-5 rather than 18-3 from the numbers. That's consistent with pulling a couple of games out of our asses like the first Dallas game and the comebacks against Memphis and New Orleans.

Bron and Davis have been quite good, while they've gotten positives out of a variety of the role players. They're not the 2015-2017 Warriors. But the West also isn't as god as it was in 2015-2016. They need to stay healthy, avoid boredom or internal strife (all of which some past Bron teams have run into on occasion). Be ready for the playoffs.

The real challenge in the post season is a healthy Clippers team. They have two stars who are tough on both ends. They have the pair of terrific bench players. They have a load of role players to revolve around those four in all sorts of line ups and match ups.

What teams like Denver (with the altitude) and the Jazz (with their defense) and the Rockets (with Harden being such an offensive pain in the ass) are would be annoying post season match ups that can wear either LA team down on the way to an LA vs LA match up. And if the Lakers should take an injury to either of the Big 2, those teams are good enough to knock us off. Gotta recall that:

* Bron's first Cleveland team lost both Love and Kyrie
* Bron ate an injury last year
* AD has eaten a lot of injuries in his career

As great as Bron is, he's not the young god who could carry this supporting case by a series of good playoff teams. In turn, AD couldn't carry any of the Pelican teams much of anywhere on his own. So... gotta be healthy in the post season.
JAG

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuggets would go out in 4 or 5.

A fat Joker and a bunch of guys ainít winning much in this West.

Agreed on health being the key. Kawhi has to make it to the playoffs, too.

Jagdip
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAG wrote:
Nuggets would go out in 4 or 5.

A fat Joker and a bunch of guys ainít winning much in this West.

I'm thinking that Joker will be less fat as the season goes on. :)

Quote:
Agreed on health being the key. Kawhi has to make it to the playoffs, too.

No doubt. Claw's health is always a concern, and PG isn't exactly an iron man.

I do think that they have a better chance of winning the West if one of their Big 2 went down than the Lakers in the same situation. They just have a better supporting cast than we do.
JAG

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn that dominance even surprised me.

I guess Utah really misses Conley.

19-3 wowweeee

Jagdip
corrado

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a Dwight howard 3. That's when you know you're really on a roll.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yow!
JAG

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theyíre Bigger, Stronger and Faster then all of these teams.

Itís an advantage rarely this obvious in the NBA.

Feels like theyíre playing cute mid-majors.

Jagdip
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denver & Utah are the same teams they always are. Win some...lose some. The major teams are the Clips & Dallas.

These Lakers are on a mission. James & Davis are real NBA superstars. I see no character faults in either of them. They make big plays. It's funny how it now feels like the old Lakers teams. I'm forgetting the last 7 years. It feels like Magic & Jabbar.

Fucking Howard is having a great time....playing right, like he should have for years. He was out of the league....& now he's back. Jordan made a player out of Rodman Ö & it seem James made a player out of Howard. If it does work out that way, it's very cool. --- Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight actually was in it's own way as impressive as the last three wins. Not because the Wolves are great or anything. But they play at pace. Vastly more than the slow it down Jazz and Nuggets, and even more than the Blazers. Tonight, that pacy team was shooting HOT. They toss up a lot of threes, and tonight were draining the hell out of them. This is like the perfect set up for a "let down" job, a one game homestand between "tough" road trips, with the opponent nailing their shoots.

The Lakers were like, "A'ight... you hot & fast, so we'll shoot hotter, we'll protect the boards when you miss, and we ain't turning it over like usual. We can out score you, and take away the mistakes." Not a great defensive performance, but that's going to happen when an opponent it hot like this. Bron in foul trouble could have been an issue, but AD and the rest stepped up. Throwing bombs back-and-forth and in the 4th just putting them to bed.

I love the two late three's by Bron, they were like "Get the fuck outta here" threes. :)
JAG

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that was a win against the gritty, gutty Heat.

Jagdip
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: