The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AEW Dynamite Thoughts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
corrado

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this week is the first taped Dynamite from Jericho's cruise. And the first title change as Omega/Page win the tag titles. I'm usually not a fan of makeshift tag teams winning tag titles. Especially since RAW had a makeshift tag team win their tag titles. But this was a fine match, and this continues the Page-Omega storyline. As shown by that backstage segment with the Bucks.

Oh man the Britt Baker heel turn. Calling Tony Schiavone a shitty barista. That was hilarious for all the wrong reasons. JR really wanted to cut to break after this.

Well they did a nice throwback to the Spring Break Nitros with someobody being thrown in a pool. In this case MJF, by the Bucks. I was surprised though Sammy wasn't dunked in the pool. I can't hate on this company for a while after they did one of the best WCW bits.

Main event was fine. So now at Revolution its Jericho vs Moxley for the title. I wouldn't be surprised if Jericho gets a cheap win to further their feud.

So aside from Heel Britt Baker, another strong AEW episode. And hopefully we get more outdoors Dynamite.
corrado

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually turned the page on Heel Britt Baker. She's been great the past couple of weeks. Shooting on JR for botching wrestlers' names. Now that the Nightmare Collective is a thing of the past, thankfully, she could be the top female AEW heel.

Also Adam Page has been great the past couple of weeks. He's developing his character in his feud with the Elite. He's more over now, and more developed now, than he was at the time of his AEW title match at All Out.

The past few weeks have been great. Moxley is still the StoneCold A Babyface. I would put him next to Cody in terms of the top babyface in AEW. Most of the roster seems to have stable roles on the show now.

I would like to see more of the Lucha bros actually. They did get the pin in this week's 8-man match. But they haven't done much as of late. And with George Kittle of the 49ers using Penta's gesture whenever he makes a 1st down, I thought they should've capitalized on that.
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the Cody getting the lashings segment from MJF. This was ripped-off/aped/inspired by Tommy Dreamer getting caned by the Sandman back in '94. That angle along with the brilliantly executed Sandman blinding and fake retirement is what got me into ECW. And it's a study in brilliant booking combined with knowing when to take a risk at the right time. While the MJF/Cody segment wasn't bad, it still shows that AEW has a lot of issues with their booking.

The Dreamer/Sandman angle had a great purpose...Dreamer was a young wrestler with potential that Heyman wanted to build into a star. The problem was that he was a 'pretty boy' and that went against the Philly crowd's nature to not boo for him. Dreamer started to get some support from the fans, but this angle was done to top it off and make Dreamer a full fledged babyface than the fans were behind.

Heyman's best attribute when his booking is 'on' is his ability to think one step ahead of even the smartest fans. At the time there was an industry epidemic of stipulations never being fulfilled. Promotions would find a way to book themselves out of fulfilling stipulations with Double DQ's or just illogically not fulfill the stipulation. At the time as a fan, I suspected that there would be some sort of way that ECW would book its way out of fulfilling the stipulation.

And then everything I thought was looking to come true. They had every run-in possible and Dreamer loses despite awful refereeing. Tod Gordon comes to ringside and says the refereeing was awful and that Dreamer doesn't have to take the 10 canings because he got screwed over. That's when I thought they had booked themselves out of fulfilling the stipulation. At the very least, I though they would re-do the match, have Dreamer win and then refuse to give Sandman the canings.

But to my surprise, Dreamer says that unlike other promotions, he will take the canings. Then I though that they would be badly worked canings.

Nope.

They were 100% full bore canings. And they were absolutely brutal to watch.

Normally, I would be against doing something like this that is hazardous to a wrestler's health. But, it was...in essence...'safe.' And by booking this segment the way they did, it was worth it for Dreamer to take the canings in order to become one of the promotions main babyfaces and somebody that the crowd would get behind.

What really worked here is the cane itself makes for incredible audio. Every crack of the cane makes the viewers wince. At first, Dreamer's back just appears red and you start to wonder a bit if the cane was worked. But by the 8th caning he now has blood streaks over his back and it's difficult to look at his back.

Meanwhile, Woman is taunting Dreamer on the mic. Telling him that if he just bows to her feet she'll put an end to the canings. Dreamer refuses and crack...another caning that makes you wince even harder.

If you watched the TV show version, it was even better. Heyman did his normal masterful job of editing and they clipped just the right amount of the incident while playing 'Let Love Rule' by Lenny Kravitz, the version with the extra long instrumental. I was never a big Kravitz fan or even of the song, but as usual it was a song very fitting for the angle.

Woman tells Dreamer, again, if he just bows at her feet, he won't get caned anymore.

Dreamer says she should get on her knees and kiss his ass. And he returns to the position.

Crack.

Another blood curdling caning.

Eventually this turns into Dreamer shouting into the mic 'Thank you sir, may I have another!'

Crack.

Another caning.

On the TV show version, they play to Dreamer getting in the Sandman's face and Joey Styles saying tot he effect 'Tommy Dreamer lets the world know that he will never...ever...bow down to the Sandman and Woman.'

This is where I felt that Joey's announcing was greatly underappreciated. He was so great at saying specific lines in the show that you could just remember, verbatim, for months on end. Hell, it's been over 25 years and I still remember that line, almost verbatim.

The other great part to this is that Sandman's reaction was just enough that he was 'shook.' From the way Dreamer tells it in shoot interviews, it did really scare Sandman a bit.

Then as Dreamer turns his back to get out of the ring, the Sandman canes him over the head.

This is how you book something like this.

And this is something worth hurting (but not injuring) yourself over. Something important that can draw money, not a spot at an indy show of the Jersey Turnpike.

With the Cody/MJF segment, I couldn't really understand the need to do this angle. Cody is over. It's not going to get MJF over. It could help get Cody even more over and potentially put him in the bona fide superstar category, but I think that's really iffy.

I also would have had Wardlow deliver the whippings. What the segment missed was somebody like Woman taunting Cody. And thus, I would have had Wardlow give the whippings while MJF is on the mic taunting Cody.

There's also the issue with the belt. It doesn't make the same audio as a cane, but bringing in a cane would not make sense. If they really wanted to get some impact on this angle, they needed something that provided a better audio.

I do think there should have been some fear of aping the ECW completely. Today with YouTube and social media they can simply play the ECW angle and it loses its effectiveness.

But, I think the key here is that they needed to do something else. Maybe have Cody make a scene and get intensely into both Warldow's and MJF's faces ala Deniro in the Russian roulette scene in The Deer Hunter.

That may be too difficult to pull off as I don't think there was a better actor than Deniro when it came to acting without saying a single word. Deniro could just make the smallest movement and/or avert his eyes just enough to make you feel what he was thinking.

I love that scene in The Deer Hunter because the leader of the Vietnamese group just gets a death stare and shows a world of fear in just a star that lasts maybe a second. That fear that if Deniro gets him by himself that he'll snap him like a twig. Kind of a Walt Kowalski 'you ever notice you come across somebody once in a while that you shouldn't have fucked with?' type of moment.

But, we really get neither of that. And then Brandi, who has been playing a heel character that terrorizes other women's wrestlers and cuts their hair off comes out.

I'm guessing that they thought that would make the moment feel 'more real' that Brandi would break character to support her husband. But the reality is that it just confused the audience even more and made Brandi's storyline look even more ridiculous.

Again, it wasn't bad, but it missed the mark. The Dreamer/Sandman angle did not and other than being inspired by the Dreamer/Sandman angle...it's ridiculous to even compare the two.

YR
corrado

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the big angle from tonight's very strong Dynamite was Jericho hiring Jeff Cobb as a sort of bounty hunter for a match next week. Cobb is currently part of the ROH roster, and is also a NJPW regular as well.

The announcers billed him as "the hottest free agent available" Which means this could also be a one-shot deal as well, while they bide time for Brodie Lee to arrive in AEW.
corrado

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another strong show. Maybe their best dynamite yet.

Opening battle Royale was one of the best battle royales in a long time. Right from the start where everyone was on the outside.

Lucha Bros/Omega+Page was great too.

Main event was also good. Wardlow impressed me. Very strong debut for someone who never had a high-profile match like this before. Nice senton by him too. Cody wins with an unbelievable moonsault off the top of the cage.
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched last week’s Dynamite On Demand and then last night’s. The booking is better than it was when I stopped watching it, but it’s still schizophrenic. They’ll develop a good story and really start to get the drama to build…then they’ll go into a full blown comedy routine.

This desire to be funny…I just don’t get. It doesn’t mean you can’t interject some comedy here and there. But it needs to not detour the segment or they need to create a new segment. The Wire was one of the most intense and deepest shows I had ever seen and had plenty of comedy. But, it chose it’s comedy carefully. Like the entire scene where Omar goes to court to testify against Bird. The comedy was interjected here and there, but not enough to take away from the drama of the moment…Omar doing exactly what he said he would never due in order to get back at those responsible for Brandon’s death.

If they did go into full parody mode, they separated it from the rest of the show like Herc and Carver and their conversations leading to the Gus Triandos joke.

And I think the pops that Orange Cassidy gets are more about the fans being contrarians than actually liking the guy. I just cannot believe that people would still find the same joke to be really funny. I did find the ‘this time he’s gonna try’ joke funny…but then realized he’s wrestling against PAC, somebody who is supposed to be a major player.

The Atlanta show had an incredible crowd. From a crowd perspective, it was about as ideal of a crowd as you could want in modern day wrestling. They were into everything and sang along with Jericho’s song which is pretty amazing as the only time I’ve ever heard that done to that extent was with Enter Sandman which has far easier lyrics to sing along to and was done by Metallica.

I thought the tag battle royal was a success overall. Although I didn’t understand the rules because nobody explained them and I could not understand why some teams were allowed in the battle royal later. One of the big issues I had with the battle royal, as well as AEW wrestling in general, is what I call ‘Mortal Kombat selling.’ That selling where the victim stands ‘dazed’ and walks over into the position so the opponent can nail them with whatever high spot. If they could greatly eliminate those spots that require Mortal Kombat selling, their in-ring product would be far better for it.

And I didn’t hate the Nyla Rose promo. In fact, it was nice to see a heel actually yell in their promo and not try to be funny. Rose is very green, but it’s not a bad start.

The product was better overall and I’m hoping it will be like a lot of TV shows where it takes a year or two for everybody to start to gel. But at this point I’m still not interested in devoting 2 hours of my week to watch the product. Still too much WWE type stuff going on, too much flawed booking and too much insistence in having guys like Marko Stunt (who sucks) involved who dislodge angles and diminish those that work with them.

YR
corrado

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So revolution was outstanding. It did have some flaws, but overall a great show.

The Tag Title match was amazing. The best match of the show. So many great near-fall sequences. But the post match was amazing with the many teased swerves from all four men. All four men have been elevated a huge deal since this angle started gaining steam. Page was the most over of the four, and the Bucks were noticeably booed against him. Page is a star now. Omega's role in the company has improved over the past week, after his match with Pac a few days ago. And the Bucks have some needed direction after the spotty initial run they had in the first few months of Dynamite.

I'm surprised it didnt open the card though, given that tag team matches are usually openers for Dynamite. It would've been a much much better opener than Hager/Rhodes that's for sure.

I know this is going to get a lot of flak but Pac/Orange Cassidy was very good. After the tag title match, maybe the 2nd hottest match of the whole show. Cassidy tried all right and he tried very good. Frustrating Pac so much. At one point in the match, Cassidy's actions caused Pac to nearly break character in laughter. I do think with Moxley the new champion, Pac should be right up there for a title shot, with their history and all, esp after his great match with Omega this past week.

I do think as well, much like what the Demon Finn Balor used to do during Takeovers, that Cassidy should just "try" on the big ppvs, and do his usual hilarious schtick on Dynamite.

I actually thought Cody/MJF fell flat. Underwelming. Cody's theme should never be done live again. Just terrible. Also terrible, Cody's neck tattoo. That was an eyesore for sure. Based on the finish, there should be even more to this feud. And with I would assume, one of the long-term plans of the promotion being Jon Moxley vs MJF for the title, that this feud will continue for a few more months, until MJF has a bit of seasoning in order for him to feud with Moxley.

Unlike Cody's theme, The Inner Circle Choir singing "Judas" was well-done. They did that much better. Main event wasn't bad at all. I'm sure it was better than their WWE encounters though. They did make the right call with Moxley winning the title. So much more possibilites than Jericho retaining. And after Goldberg winning the WWE Championship, I guess AEW wanted the title to go to someone much younger than Jericho. Moxley cuts a great promo afterwards, at one point his music cuts him off, while he utters "What the Fuck" causing the announcers to heartily laugh. And Moxley keeps on going. Great stuff.
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched PAC vs. Orange Cassidy. I really don't know how this is better than something that Russo would book.

You have a guy like PAC who is built like a brick shithouse and can do some of the coolest moves ever. He's supposed to be a major player and they book him to where he gets dominated and should have lost to a guy that 'wasn't trying' and had his hands in his pockets for almost the entire match. And he only won because OC got distracted.

That just knocked down PAC a couple of notches.

It would be the equivalent of booking Jimmy Valiant to dominate a match against Jack Brisco. I couldn't stand Valiant either, but at least he got countless other wrestlers over at his own expense. OC only gets himself over at others expense.

I just don't get it.

It's not even an original joke as they were doing this 15 years ago in Japan. And I wonder how long people can still laugh at the same joke.

Then I see Meltzer this week comparing AEW storytelling to Mid-South's.

This is really a promotion that is making their money off the fact that the WWE is so rotten that it's unwatchable (and still cannot beat RAW in the ratings).

I'll try to catch the tag match and the Cody vs. MJF match and maybe Guevara vs. Allin. But my guess is that they will be horribly overrated and far below anything NJPW has to offer right now.

YR
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did see the Jake The Snake and Cody segment. Jake's voice is gone, but he still has it on the mic. Ultimate diss at the end to Cody. Although this doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. Cody has no steam. He lost to Jericho, got owned by MJF leading up to their match and then lost to MJF in their match. So why would Jake want to go after Cody of all people? Maybe Moxley or Omega or even MJF.

It's not the worst thing I've ever seen nor has it been uncommon for even the best bookers to create a somewhat nonsensical angle like this to continue a feud with one of their stars, but it's just another example of AEW being more or less far better than the dreck coming out of the WWE at this point and that's not really setting a high standard.

YR
corrado

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That neck tattoo will be the end of Cody and his heat.

I can see Jake Roberts' new protege being Brodie Lee. It could also be Lance Archer, but I think it'll benefit Brodie more.
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't listen to all of Cornette's latest podcast, but he seemed to be coming around to Dynamite in recent weeks. I'll DVR the show and see if it's gotten any better, but I'm not betting on it. I'll see Orange Cassidy and the Super Friends (Chuck Taylor looks as bush league as it gets) and probably get annoyed. And Cornette and I don't have the same exact taste in wrestling, but we do agree more often than not.

Brian Last talks about something that he can't pin it on with Moxley but that he's not overly in love with his matches. I think it's because Moxley doesn't have a signature style about him. You know what a Ric Flair match is. You know what a Steamboat match is. The same with The Destroyer, Buddy Rose, Misawa, Kawada and so many other great works. You really don't know what a Moxley match is. It's a lot of brawling, but very ambiguous. He also doesn't sell and it's hard to get behind a babyface that doesn't sell unless they are a Goldberg type (and even Goldberg sold, momentarily). That's why I'm far more into Darby Allin than Moxley. I know what an Allin match is and I have a sense for it and I know when he's strong, when he's weak and when he's about to fire up. I know his moveset and can sense how he is progressing in his match. And he's a fantastic seller. I need to see the match between him and Guevara, but I think Allin vs. MJF could be money as well.

The Cody tattoo, I'm not as down on it as most people. Although being an executive with AEW it's a bit off-putting in that regard.

Harper would be a nice addition. Hopefully they won't use him like they've used Wardlow...the big guy that stands there and makes intense faces.

YR
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted Oct 20, 2019 by Yohe
"They seem to think Omega & the Young Bucks are their strong points and everyone in America knows them. You can't use them to get the other lesser guys over on TV. I know it seem like Maeda putting over Takada over in UWF, but none of the others are anything like Takada. You have to get yourself over before helping anyone else. Omega & Young Bucks may be the best workers in wrestling, but there are a huge number of WWE fans who don't know them from shit. They still need to get their base over. The guys who should be doing jobs are the ex-WWE guys. Jericho & the big guy who left the WWE, Moxley. They should be making stars out of others....if the others are any good. It's not the Jericho show. Chris is going to leave them real soon....it's what he does." ---Steve Yohe

The WON Awards came out this week. Omega was #1 in 2018, In 2019 he came in #10 with 1 first place vote. Jericho, the guy he put over, in 2019 #1 had 522 votes. Omega was #1 in 2018 in the Best Wrestler group, this year he was #10 with 13 votes. He was still the highest rated guy in AEW. After winning best match of the year for two years, he got second place, but it was a NJW match. USA MVP award Omega came in #9 behind Jericho, Cody, Bryan, & Moxley with 13 votes. Okada replaced Omega as Japan MVP.

For the 1st time in 6 years, The Young Bloods didn't win Tag Team of the year.

So much for being the Ric Flair of this generation. He'll always will have 2018.--Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the major stars on AEW are ex-WWE minor stars. Was that good thinking? Good thing it got it's TV contract.---Yohe
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't happy with the show that I took time to watch tonight.

The Cody vs. Ortiz (I get those two screwed up, so I may be wrong) was really choppy and too much outside nonsense. Brian Last nailed Cody's matches (and he's a fan of Cody's)...it's a lot of smoke and mirrors from the outside. Good to see Brandi working the face role presuming she stays that way. I know she took acting classes, but people in wrestling that get into the acting part always get caught up in being a heel. This business needs plain, good ole faces, too. Likeability is a far more sought out trait in Hollywood than being able to play the villain. Maybe this is catching on to her.

Anyway, the Cody vs. Ortiz match they just couldn't get into a flow until near the end...then more outside interference stuff went on.

The product still has too much of a WWE feel to it. They need to alter the entrances...perhaps have the entrances and then when they are in the ring have Justin Roberts announce the wrestlers (like Finkel used to do for big matches). I think pro wrestling misses that type of announcement because it gives the match more of an important feel to it.

Then they basically did a vignette. At least it made sense as to why the camera was backstage, but it looked like shit anyway. I don't know what happened to a good ole heel beat down of the faces in the ring after a match.

The woman's match was putrid. You could tell that Shida had to do the job because she came out with all of the fire of a plate of piss. They've so badly messed up the woman's division that it needs a major overhaul. To make matters worse, the match went for way too long. Statlander is incredibly green. Priestley has some potential, but she's green as well. I did like the angle where Priestley attacked Rose afterward because you never see that where a heel teams with a heel champion and then picks their spot to get at the champion. But other than that, ugh...this was B-A-D.

The 6 man is where I just about flipped the channel over. Marko Stunt sucks. He was badly late for one spot on the Butcher and the Butcher had to hold Jungle Boy, look behind him to see when Stunt was finally going to hit him with a top rope move. They could have gotten more out of this match if it weren't for Stunt. They had a super-hot tag with Jungle Boy who looked fantastic and then Luchasaurus (I think his hamstring is still bothering him) makes an awesome dive....but then they have to get Stunt over...who is out of position, again. This would have been a great spot for MJF to 'injure' stunt and get some more heat on him, but they apparently never thought of it and would rather have Stunt wrestle and kill Jungle Boy's heat.

I have to figure that Janela is one of the wrestlers that is rumored to be part of Tony Khan's buyer's remorse. He's not as bad as Stunt, but he's not too far from it. He also seems to have lost his confidence. I just don't understand his appeal and I'm not the only one as he continues to come out to tepid responses.

That Britt Baker and Swole segment was horrendous. Imagine Roddy Piper, Michael Hayes and Jake Roberts in their prime as heels cutting promos...then imagine the exact opposite of that and you have Britt Baker.

And they pulled the WWE bit where Swole comes out with a microphone. It's little stuff like this that drives me insane. Be different from the WWE as much as you feasibly can. This is not hard to figure out.

Having said all of that, I did enjoy the main event although I think they allow the heels to get the upper hand at the end of shows too much

This is just one frustrating promotion to watch.

YR
corrado

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Jake Roberts' protege looks to be Lance Archer now. I thought they were to hold off till next week, because of the ides of march line, but they didn't. (and in hindsight, maybe it was for the best, given what's going on in the world)

I would've preferred Brodie in the role, but Archer is fine here. Probably a bit of toned down version of his "everybody dies" gimmick. It should be noted he got "Most Improved" in the Observer Awards last week. Guess the readers were impressed with his G1 run last year.

Now that the NBA is dark for now, I guess if AEW wants to keep going the next several weeks, then maybe empty arena shows would be the way to go. I'm sure Tony Khan knows of places that can be able to house what they are doing. And since WWE is probably going to go to "Show must go on" mode with Mania looming, then AEW will probably continue.

I would just also rename "Blood and Guts" the "Match beyond" I think that would be a better name given what's going on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Wrestling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: