The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2019-2020 L.A. Lakers Thread (That's All Folks)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great start, great run in the 3rd when the Rockets cut the lead down, and great no let up in the 4th extending it out to 30.

I hate playing these Rockets and wanted this thing to end as quick as possible. But we did get some major positives out of it:

* Bron got into killer mode a number of times during the series

* even when his offense might have been slow, AD's kept bringing the defense

* the lack of depth on the team suddenly got deeper with Rondo coming back and Morris stepping up. Lots of options for Vogel in the coming series and match ups.

* Vogel stepping up with adjustments, and players (AD, McGee and Howard) buying in

* variety of the role players stepping up in different games - Morris, Rondo, Kuzma, KCP, Green and Caruso all had big moments in the series

* massive, monster commitment to Defense. They weren't able to sustain it for 4 quarters, but that Rockets team is hard to sustain it against. But they ran a massively adjusted defense against the Rockets, and really did a hell of a job with it for long, major stretches. It will be needed against the Clippers, but that they're committed to it is huge.

Feel much better heading into the WCF as we can throw more looks at the Clippers, and adjust to their flexibility.
JAG

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup to all of the above.

Where’s Yohe?

LeBron got it feeling like March again.

Stay small.

Jagdip
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If not staying small, switch to it fast when Doc pulls Zubac for Harrell. I think we still know that AD would prefer not to guard other team's bigs when he doesn't have to. It's okay to humor him slightly.

The last Lakers-Clippers before the break had about 19 minutes of McGee-Howard, with Howard not effective but McGee okay:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/202003080LAC.html

The bubble game had 24 minutes of them, and combined they were so-so:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/202007300LAL.html

Morris barley made a mark in the bubble game, but pretty clearly has grown now into having both the confidence of the coaching staff but also his mates.

My guess is that Vogel will start off with a C opposite Zubac, then switch fairly quick unless it is extremely effective.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Houston was a disgrace. They gave up in four straight games. Mentally they didn't have it.

We have to go back to the bigs in game 1, and then see how it goes. We got a coach who has let to make a bad move. He made bold moves in this series & everything worked. I wouldn't question anything he does.

I know John doesn't like the idea, but I want to win this by beating the asshole Clippers and then Boston. Lets do it the right way. If we can't beat them....we shouldn't be champions.

Rondo fucking around with Westbrook was uncool. Things could have gotten out of control. When your punking someone you shouldn't talk shit and rub it in. Shows no class.

I think this proved that you can't win title by going small. Both Davis & James are bigs. It was their size that beat Houston. Are small was still better that their smalls....because our smalls are big. ---Yohe
corrado

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if Denver can play to the level that they've played the past few games, then this could be a challenging series for the Lakers.

But I think Lakers win in 5.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denver is very tough. Anyone can win.--- Yohe
JAG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lakers in 5.

Davis plays Jokic to a draw and LeBron kills them.

Jagdip
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Lakers beat them in 5, I'll be very happy....but my thinking is it will take more than that. I never thought much of Joker, but I do now. I'll be happy just to win. Lakers have played like champs .... but I just don't know. The guys coming from the East will be tough too. Anything can happy. Maybe Joker was playing way over his head ... and can't do it again... I don't know, but I will watch. --- Yohe
corrado

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think even though the Celtics are better than the Heat, the Lakers would rather face them, than Miami. Because of one Pat Riley. Remember he has history with Bron, and he hasn't forgotten him leaving Miami to go back to Cleveland. He's going to have the Heat motivated like never before.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zach beats down on the Haters already lining there should be an asterisk for Bron if he wins a title this year because he avoided the Clippers and Giannis:

https://twitter.com/GetUpESPN/status/1306977453777223684

I'm down with Zach. I don't think we can understate how hard this season is overall with (i) the stop of the season right as every team was trying to get into drive mode for the Playoffs, (ii) dealing with a multimounth layoff stuck at home, (iii) dealing with the Bubble, (iv) dealing with playing games that meant very little to most teams when you should be prepping for the playoffs, (v) dealing with players opting out or getting covid or having family issues, and (vi) an environment where there is no Home Court. This might be one of the toughest seasons ever.

No asterisk.
JAG

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nugs best pick it up of they gonna win that game I gave them.

Dwight is the perfect antidote for Jokic. Clown >> Joker for one night.

Playoff Rondo!

They got nothing for LeBron or AD.

Jagdip
corrado

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, any thought of the Nuggets being a serious threat probably are gone, with that buzzer beater by Anthony Davis. THat's a killer for Denver.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worse than a blow out.---Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zach Lowe with Howard Beck going long and in depth on the Lakers-Nuggets:

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=29938817

Zach just dropped this:

1.6 Points Per Possession off Rondo Pick & Rolls

That is an INSANE number. It's like the Nuggets don't have a clue on one of the more obvious things that Rondo will do when he's in the game. :)

That was a back breaker for the Nuggets... but good lord did we almost choke that one away. Really important - put our foot on their throats and put this series to bed quick.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was not good. Flat other than the surge in the 4th. This is the type of hoops that got the Clippers in trouble. The key is to not let it happen again. Perhaps a wake up call.

Can't take the Nuggets lightly. They've come back from 3-1 in back-to-back series. Don't care what we think about their two opponents in those series. Simply that a team that comes back *twice* like that doesn't roll over. Also that if you don't get your shit together against them, you're at risk. We damn near screwed up Game 2. That means there have been two games where they had a chance to win, and they converted on one of them and a silly great shot stopped them in the other. We don't really want them to have chances late to win the remaining games.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 21 of 22

Jump to: