The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2020-2021 L.A. Lakers Thread (Repeat)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KOC on the Lakers moves:

As Contenders Scurry to Keep Up, the Lakers Have Gotten Even Better

He spends a decent amount of time talking about Dennis, Harrell and Mathews, with a good deal of positive.

One of his notes later in the piece, which a lot of people have picked up on, is:

Quote:
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope is still a free agent and heís looking for a payday, but money is drying up in free agency. Davis isnít signing his contract right away, which is a tactic Klutch Sports used with LeBron in Cleveland to get other clients paid. Perhaps thatís the plan with Caldwell-Pope. Or maybe the Lakers work out a sign-and-trade to a different team. In January, I reported that the Lakers had trade talks with the Kings, who offered Nemanja Bjelica and a pick to the Lakers for Kyle Kuzma, and Los Angeles countered by asking for Bogdan Bogdanovic. L.A.ís pursuit hasnít stopped. On Friday, The Athleticís Sam Amick and Eric Nehm reported that the Lakers are pursuing a sign-and-trade for Bogdanovic, whoís sign-and-trade deal to the Bucks fell apart. League sources confirmed the report: The Lakers are indeed pursuing Bogdanovic, though the Hawks are considered the favorites.

The Kings may not have wanted to trade Bogdanovic to the Lakers before the deadline, but now they donít have much of a choice. The alternative is losing him to the Hawks (or another team with cap space such as the Knicks), to an offer sheet thatís more than theyíd like to spend, multiple league sources say. Of course, the Kings could match any offer sheet he receives. But they just drafted a guard in Tyrese Haliburton, gave $163 million to DeíAaron Fox, and still have a disgruntled Buddy Hield. Maybe, just maybe, the Kings would be better off taking KCP and Kuzma even if it means helping their interstate rivals get better.

If the Lakers get Bogdanovic, itíd only further bolster their team with a shotmaker with a knack for clutch moments. He won countless championships playing overseas before entering the NBA, and heís even authored a number of gamewinners in Sacramento, including one against the Lakers.

I like Bogdanovic, and he does have more offfensive potential than KCP. Bogdanovic is a 6-6 SG/Wing who was 15-3-3 on .440/.372/.741 last year in 29 minutes a game. His skills at catch-and-shooting and spot up shooting fit well with Bron and in playing in non-Bron lineups with Dennis. His defense was among the better with the Kings, but that might be a function of the Kings being bad defensively and Buddy being awful in contrast.

The questions would be:

* it's a long term commitment since he's a RFA... going to be a 4 year deal

* not going to be cheap... someone out there could offer sheet him $16M+ a year at least

* it's another part of a massive chemistry shift for the team

The team was really tight last year. In this off season we would move out Green (great chemistry guy), Rondo (quirky but fit well last season in the locker room), KCP (seemed to be tight with key guys), McGee (felt like everyone's goofy brother) among likely others. I don't think anyone in the locker room is going to miss Howard or Kuz.

In contrast, there were some issues with Harrell in the Clippers locker room... though that might have been Kawhi as much as anything. Dennis has had issue in ATL, though he seemed okay last year in OKC... but there is buzz that he would like to start again. Bogi come up with a dysfunctional Kings team after years in Europe... so who knows. Wes does have a history of being a good teammate.

But...

It's a lot of turnover to work through in a short season.

We had a lot of turnover last year. But Bron, Kuz, McGee, KCP and Rondo were on the prior season's team. There was an entirely new coaching staff... yeah, there was a lot of change.

Adding Bogi with Kuz, KCP and McGee going out... a lot of change for a world champ.

On the surface, getting Bogi would lock us out of the big FA market next season. Not quite. Bogi would be a very attractive player to include in a sign & trade for a mega star. If Dennis has a strong season, he would as well. Possible that Harrell would as well if he has another strong season. The key is going to be getting it to be under the apron.

On the flip side, if there isn't the desire to get a third mega star next season, someone like Bogi *if* he fits in with Bron and AD, could be a really nice long term fit with AD and Bron.

I still wish we'd resign Morris because I really like the versatility he gives is and his solid defense is something we need with all the offensive fire power. Versatility and defense were the key things in the playoffs for us behind the obvious two strengths - Bron and AD. Of course part of the greatness of those two is versatility and defense (when Bron is feeling it and picking the spots). You don't really want to put an overly rigid team around them.

Last edited by jdw on Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

corrado wrote:
Avery Bradley won't be coming back. He signed a 2-year deal with the Heat.

Two-year, $11.6M. Avery did well, goes to another winner, and got a raise.

I feel bad for the Warriors as he felt like a good fit there. I wonder what they are exploring if they didn't close on Bradley.

I'd add that the Heat's cap space is fantastic with all those young players on the cheap. They also have a ton of contracts + talent to trade is some superstar that Riley wants decides he doesn't want to play for his current team at some point in the season (i.e. Giannis).
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rondo signed with the Hawks. They were talking about get 2 of Danilo Gallinari, Bogdan Bogdanovic, Rajon Rondo and Joe Harris. They got Danilo and Rondo. That and their cap space seems to take them out of Bogi.

So it feels like either KCP is coming back or we sign&trade for Bogi.

Would like to see today us (i) get the KCP/Bogi decision taken care of, (i) Kieff get resigned, and (iii) Marc Gasol coming in at the Vet Minimum to chase another title.

The last two are a bit of wishful thinking, but not impossible.

It would be nice to see if we could convince Kieff to come back on a 1+1 with the under the table promise that if he opted out in the coming off season we would "take care of him" with a bump up with whatever exception is available next year.

With Gasol, it's really about title chasing. Is there another real title contender out there who could offer him more and be a better fit. With AD and Harrell, there's less worry about Gasol's health. Basically in the 2015 & 2016 Andrew Bogut role, though a vastly better offensive player who can pop and pass off the pick&pop. Maybe Bron working the phones with the "I always wanted to play with either you or your brother". :)
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction - the Hawks do still have cap space if they wanted to make it 3 of those 4 players:

https://twitter.com/YoggiMane/status/1330263776977936388
corrado

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good news for you as Kentavious Caldwell Pope resigned with the Lakers for 3/40 mil.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment, with an estimate of KCP's first 2020/21 salary and AD's max:

https://twitter.com/YoggiMane/status/1330315611277242369

It's about 100% certain that Dudley will get one of those minimums. They like him in the locker room, on the practice squad, and as a player-coach type of guy. They're not really worrying about minutes down there.

This are extremely tight at the Apron - just under $400K. They can create more breathing space by moving McGee and replacing his spot with something cheaper. Same goes for Kuz. If they move McGee, they would need a Starting C in one of the slots assuming Harrell comes off the bench.

I think for the moment the starting line up looks like:

KCP
Mathews
Lebron
AD
Center TBD (McGee at the moment)

With the bench "rotation" of:

Schroder
Caruso
Kuzam
Vet Minimum
Harrell

I'm a broken record that I'd like to see Morris in that Vet Minimum spot. I actually would like to see them move Kuz for someone on a similar or lower contract who can shoot 3s. That's an issue with this group at the moment. Morris would help, as would someone who shoots better than Kuz.

Then a deep bench of:

Horton-Tucker
Vet Minimum (Dudley)
Vet Minimum
Vet Minimum

There is some interesting talent still out there.
JAG

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satisfied.

Looks like Lakers picked Harrell over Ibaka. I prefer Serge as a player but he might be 40.

Schroder and Harrell are good enough to be an offense in the non-LeBron minutes and games. Interesting to see if Vogel staggers the SuperFreaks so diligently this season.

Would like to see McGee moved for a big who is physically stronger and could help against Joker.

The roster is unquestionably better this time.

Repeat. God willing and if they creek donít rise.

Jagdip
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAG~!

Gasol might help us with Joker.

Toronto has their MLE left, so they could toss a 1+1 at him with $9.3M this year and some kind of opt-out / buyout in the second year. So they can offer him more, he's been there a while, and may feel comfy.

The flip is that he could come here. The money is pretty low.

Like mentioned above, with Harrell and AD, you don't worry as much about Gasol's annual games out due to injury because you have cover. You basically want him healthy for the playoffs.

My hope:

* Gasol
* McGee dumped
* Morris resigned
* Kuz traded for a 3&D SG/SF Wing

Caruso gives is defense from the second unit, but he still needs to work on the 3. We don't know yet if Dennis' 3P% last year was a fluke or a sign of true improvement. So it would be nice to have a trusty wing 3P guy in the second unit. I just have zero faith in Kuz from 3, or that he'll sustain his bubble defense. Plus... if he has an improved year, he's going to want to get PAID... and we just don't have the money for that. I'd just as soon cash him in now.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Shams of The Athletic:

Shams Charania @ShamsCharania

Free agent Kent Bazemore has agreed to a one-year deal with the Golden State Warriors, agent Austin Walton tells @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium

9:42 AM ∑ Nov 22, 2020

We really need to close this and Morris. Gasol is the best compliment out there who can fill in Harrell's weaknesses. There really isn't anyone left out there who can do what Keiff can do, barring some trade. Since Kieff is simply a FA signing, I would prefer to save the trade (i.e. Kuz) to fill in a different need.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are two pods from the Lakers Exceptionalism podcast team on Bigs. The first looks at FAs, while the second (which was recorded earlier) is on the non-AD guys from last year:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/0KGF6ucSztnYNGPtjp6NDM
Quote:
[We] discuss FA Bigs and how they fit in w/ the Lakers

-Boogie
-Ibaka
-Thompson
-Gasol
-Noel
-Cauley-Stein

Gasol starts at 34:00 minutes in.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3iHhLE4ZkIBCB3oUoqNC5T?si=POZS4ohHS460ychwosJtUw
Quote:
Breaking down LAís Big man versatility cocktail of:
- AD
- McGee
- Dwight
- Morris

Kieff starts at 39:15 minutes in. Though the whole thing is worthwhile to hear the breakdown of the positives each brought to the team.

Last edited by jdw on Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1330596989076115469

Quote:
Shams Charania @ShamsCharania

Marc Gasol is narrowing his focus to the Lakers and Raptors, and L.A. is working market place to find way to improve offer, sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium. Mavericks are not expected to be destination.

11:40 AM ∑ Nov 22, 2020

Not sure how they bump the money. Harrell ate up all of the MLE, and Mathews took the BTE, and KCP took a ton towards the Apron.

McGee makes $4.2M so in theory we could sign & trade - Raptors sign Gasol for $4.2M, he gets traded to the Lakers in a deal where McGee goes out. My guess is that the Raptors don't want McGee, so you need a team with Cap Space willing to eat McGee... and the Raptors get a Trade Exception? Not sure the Raptors really want that, but it's better than nothing. The team taking McGee would want something like a future Lakers #2?

Bit complicated, maybe possible.

The other option is Kuzma's $3.5M going out in a sign & trade, which is a but more money for Gasol. Mentioned a few times above that I would like to see Kuz go for a reliable 3&D wing.

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/1330601813532319749

Quote:
Eric Pincus @EricPincus

Sign and trade is 3 years min, no options on those 3 but last 2 can be non guaranteed re Gasol.

11:59 AM ∑ Nov 22, 2020

So it would have to be a 3 year deal for Gasol to be eligible for a sign&trade, but he'd have to be willing to make the last 2 non-guaranteed given his age.

As said... it's complicated to get more money.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1330604514693451777
Quote:
Marc Stein @TheSteinLine

The Knicks have emerged as a potential trade partner for the Lakers in a JaVale McGee deal, league sources say, as LA explores its various options

If talks progress, New York would surely require at least one additional asset from the Lakers to take McGee into salary-cap space

12:10 PM ∑ Nov 22, 2020

It would be nice if some of that McGee freed up money went to Morris as well.

If we:

* add Gasol + Harrell + Schroder + Mathrews
* retain KCP + Kieff
* subtract Green + Bradley + Rondo + Howard + McGee
* Kuz is up in the air

I'm really okay.

There would remain a couple of roster spots left to fill with minimums.

Maybe Nicolas Batum is willing to play for the minimum on a 1+1 since the Hornets are paying him $9M a year for the next three years after they waived him. He didn't have a good 2019/20 as the Hornets shut him down, but he's a year removed from being a useful 3&D guy. A number of teams are chasing him on the cheap... maybe we are.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harrell was always better than he looked. When the Clips had heart he was it. I think he'll be a surprise. I don't see the weakness in him. He was sick & weak last year in the playoffs. He could be the type who feels in holes. I'm very surprised the Lakers got him from the Clips.

Both Gasol & Mathrews are getting near their end. Gasol has always been a John favorite & I don't mind him, but I wouldn't go out of our way to get him. We know the centers will be sitting at playoff time. Can Gasol come out & play that type of D.

Is there any talk about Kuzma? Does anyone want him? You would think he'd look good on a bad team. He just couldn't rise up to the top level.

Pope screws around every year. He has to stay. He is always there for you at the end, & James knows it.

We need someone named Green....anyone. Let him sit on the bench. You can't win a title without a player named Green.

It's coming together pretty good, but we don't have the motivation like last year, when we had to win. You can't expect James to be as good .... or can we? I think we're going to start slow. That the storyline vet teams always have.

Who is making these decisions with the Lakers? Who is the brain?--Yohe
corrado

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdw wrote:
https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1330604514693451777
Quote:
Marc Stein @TheSteinLine

The Knicks have emerged as a potential trade partner for the Lakers in a JaVale McGee deal, league sources say, as LA explores its various options

If talks progress, New York would surely require at least one additional asset from the Lakers to take McGee into salary-cap space

12:10 PM ∑ Nov 22, 2020

It would be nice if some of that McGee freed up money went to Morris as well.

If we:

* add Gasol + Harrell + Schroder + Mathrews
* retain KCP + Kieff
* subtract Green + Bradley + Rondo + Howard + McGee
* Kuz is up in the air

I'm really okay.

There would remain a couple of roster spots left to fill with minimums.

Maybe Nicolas Batum is willing to play for the minimum on a 1+1 since the Hornets are paying him $9M a year for the next three years after they waived him. He didn't have a good 2019/20 as the Hornets shut him down, but he's a year removed from being a useful 3&D guy. A number of teams are chasing him on the cheap... maybe we are.

he got traded to the Cavs for a future 2nd rounder instead. I would assume they'll cut him at some point so he can join an contender? Meanwhile, that enabled the Lakers to sign Marc Gasol. Guess Markieff won't be back.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woj Bomb:

Quote:
Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

The Lakers are trading JaVale McGee to Cleveland, source tells ESPN.

4:37 PM ∑ Nov 22, 2020

Quote:

Lakers are sending McGee and a future-second round pick to Cavaliers, source tells ESPN.

4:37 PM ∑ Nov 22, 2020

Quote:

Marc Gasol is finalizing a deal to sign with the Lakers, sources tell me and @ZachLowe_NBA.

4:42 PM ∑ Nov 22, 2020
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: