The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2020-2021 L.A. Lakers Thread (Repeat)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have played a bunch of shit teams & they are coming off a major choke against GS on national TV. A lot of the majors haven't got there shit together. Too soon to be taking about stuff.. Be calm .... later you can compare championships. If they win this year. That is the only thing that matters. --- Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a good win. I set the DVR for the TNT broadcast, which was blacked out in LA for the Spectrum version. So I need to watch the first half, and be able to hit the rewind & rewatch on the second half. But the second half looked good, and the defense was at times strong.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes big win. A strong win. Gives the East Coast something to think about. I expected a phone call.--Yohe
JAG

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They didnít even play that well. Just LeBron and hit their 3s.

Which was enough even against a ďcontender.Ē

8-0 on the road. Their record on the road the past two seasons is their historically great trait.

Jagdip
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back-to-back shitty performances. Way too Bron-centric in the past couple of weeks. The Pistons are a horrible team where we should be able to kick the shit out of them even if AD sits. But it feels like the team has gotten into the habit of standing around while Bron backs down opponents. The team actually has enough talent not to do that.

One can only hope that these recent games can get the team to have a come to Jesus moment when they come back home off the long road trip.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was Caruso that beat Boston tonight.

I'm sorry but Gasol is washed up. Slow, can't move this feet, & 30 pounds overweight. As a defensive center, he is closer to the worst in the league, that first. Can hit a three every 5th game. It's a matter of time before someone forgets his old reputation & gets him out of the starting line up. All he can do is take up space. Anyone can see this....and he turns the ball over. We need another big man. Harrell can't start.

The only one worst on the team is Matthews. Who can't play D & is afraid to shoot. --- Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The line up with Gasol was the best net rated line up in the entire league before last week. Gasol's defensive +/- is the best on the team. Most of the times that he looks bad is because other people are fucking up.

I'm not sure who you're watching in terms of Mathews. Here are the 3P attempts per 36 minutes on the team:

7.4 Bron
6.7 Kuzma
6.4 Morris
6.0 Matthews
5.9 KCP
4.5 Caruso
4.4 THT
4.0 Schroder
3.1 Gasol
2.9 Davis
0.3 Harrell

He's not afraid to shoot. He's a 3&D guy whose shots come out at the 3P line. His other offensive skill is motion where he either cuts to the hoop when his player helps defensively, or he slips in weak side in similar situations. Bron and AD have been pretty poor running an motion or cutting offense off their possession, instead getting increasingly isolation mind set. Since Mathews playing time has largely come in a Lebron + Subs line up, he's kind of standing around like the other 3 guys waiting for Bron to back down and do something, or for Bron to hoist up his 3P's that he loves to chuck now.

On the defensive side, again his primary rotation is in the Bron + Harrell + Morris + Kuz + Mathews rotation, which puts both he and Kuz in poor defensive positions of Point of Attack defense and Chaser defense, which isn't their best spot. On top of it, Bron's defense in that rotation has been even worst than his defense in the starting rotation, which hasn't been good at all. If we simply moved Caruso into that rotation in the place of Kuz, it would work quite a bit better.

I'm not saying Mathews has been great. But it's more Vogel tinkering with the line ups, and largely humoring Bron and AD in the first half of the season.
JAG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vogel cutting the rotation down to 9 with Wes and Morris out is the most interesting development of the season so far.

The best version of this team could have THT starting and Schroder wreaking havoc with Harrell off the bench.

5-2 trip with Detroit as the only clunker.

Jagdip
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for Gasol, make it simple on yourself, & just look at the box scores. He isn't doing jack. Anyone 7 foot tall can stand around the key, and have the ball bounce in to their hands 3 times a game. What upset me, is that he is fat. He needs to lose 20 to 25 pounds. He isn't in NBA condition. Last year we had two studs at center, & we had them backing everyone up with shot blocking. This year we got Gasol burping at the top of the key.

The back up center is really a forward who can only play center. Davis isn't as good as last year & his rebounding comes & goes. Davis hates playing the major centers.

This team isn't as good as last year's. There are holes in the line up. I fear they can't beat the Clips. If we keep having games like Detroit, & GS, we're going to be looking up at them. I mean, the Clips got to get lucky at some point. Maybe that's hard to believe, but it could happen. --- Yohe
JAG

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iíll worry about Paul George and Clippings in the playoffs in the 4Q of the elimination game.

The other 3 final four teams from last year are still under .500 combined. Let the engine warm up.

Jagdip
JAG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THT! Defense! Oh my!

[img] https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Etd7l0mWQAEek3q.jpg[/img]
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denver is one of the good teams& the Lakers destroyed them in the second half. Really great to watch.

Gasol's box for the night: Feb. 4...20 minutes...2 points ...o for 4...2 rebounds ... one assist ... 4 fouls. And plays with James & Davis most of the time. Davis guarded Joker.

Need to spank Detroit tonight. ---Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be nice if we had an easy game tonight. :)
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony Davisís Injury Is the Biggest Threat to the Lakersí Repeat Chances

Tjarks doesn't take a "sky is falling" view, but it's a pretty realistic one.

I'd say the same thing about the East where people are starting to think the Nets have the East locked up when the pieces all come together. Kyrie has a history of gettin hurt all the time, including often either right before or during the playoffs. KD has a injury history as well even before the heel popped - the foot (among other things) in 2015, and MCL sprain & bone bruise in 2017, a fractured rib in 2018, and the "calf strain" in 2019 before the heel blew up. If something like anyone of those pop up in the playoffs, then the Nets are roast. That team isn't winning the NBA Title with just Kyrie and Beard.

That's par the course for everyone. Clips are toast if Claw goes down, and I'm not sold they can win it if PG13 goes down by not Claw. The Jazz are toast without Rudy anchoring the defense, and offensively would have issues of Mitchell went down. Philly would be toast without Embiid, and would likely be toast without Simmons given his defense. Obviously Giannis in MIL. Etc.

So...

We need to go slow with bringing AD back. No freaking rush. He needs to be fine for the playoffs, and some prep games before that.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calf injuries are something I know. Hurt mine in the Army running & I had trouble for12 years with it. In 1992, I swam the whole year. Like 14 months swimming 2 miles a day & that kind of put an end to it. But then there was other foot injuries. He has bad looking legs, and he may always get injuries.

Davis needs a least 6 weeks off. In the 5th week, he can run a little. In the 6th he can play a little ball. If he doesn't feel wonderful, like 100%. Rest it some more. We are going to need Davis in the years after James leaves. Oh ya after mighty Gasol leaves too.

We don't need another 7 year slump. I wouldn't be worrying all the time about another WC. Just do the best you can. To win one of those you need to be lucky & smart.

Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: