The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AEW Dynamite Thoughts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most recent ĎMatch of the Yearí candidate is supposed to be Dax Harwood vs. Jungle Boy. This was pretty good. I was hoping to see kinds like a teenage Benoit vs. Arn Anderson type of match and we didnít start to get that until the end. Harwood apes Arn Anderson hard and throws a bit of Tully in there as well.

This started out a little more spotty that I would have liked it. I would have preferred some more mat wrestling and letting Harwood establish his size and power advantage and then build up to some spots showing that size and power advantage before doing what they did in the last few minutes of the match.

And the only thing I had a problem with towards the end was the multiple false finishes which by themselves werenít bad, but everybody does false finishes these days and you knew they werenít going to get a pinfall from them. And part of the finish Harwood wasnít very convincing.

This sorta came off like watching a training camp seminar showing the young upstart beating the veteran than it was like Misawa getting a surprising win over Tsuruta to really elevate the young upstart. To their credit, they werenít being booked like Tsuruta vs. Misawa 6/8/90Öbut the point is that the feel of the match felt more like they were following a textbook that actually elevating somebody with a surprise victory.

That being said, I really like Jungle Boy and Harwood here. Iíd put this about the same quality as the Fenix vs. Omega match which was more spectacular in the spots, but this was more credible and much more sound. If we saw more of this along with the stoppage of false finishes so false finish sequences like this one would have a greater impact, AEW would be better for it in the long run.

* * ĺ

YR
corrado

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So last night, business literally picked up at the end of Dynamite.

https://www.f4wonline.com/aew-news/kenta-appears-aew-dynamite-attacks-jon-moxley-332221

https://www.f4wonline.com/aew-news/aew-new-japan-pro-wrestling-establish-working-relationship-332261

Long overdue, IMO. And having Kenta attack Moxley was great, even if you kinda knew he was going to appear, based on his various trolls/hints on social media. Obviously you canít do a full relationship due to the pandemic. Sio having Kenta show up is a nice start. I hope heís able to do the same type of promos that heís done in the NJPW backstage segments. Iím sure thereíll be people confused as to why he talks to the cameraman like that. If youíve watched, you know what Iím talking about.

This is a much better crossover than Impact's Good Brothers. Although Tony Khan and Schiavone shitting on Impact, while appearing on that show every week is great. even if itís basically admitting that the Impact show sucks without AEW.
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Wight is now with AEW.

You have to wonder how well AEW is doing financially with so many guys coming in, particularly Wight and Borden who don't come cheap. It's a low level TV deal and they have to pay for their own production, rent, payroll, etc.

Worse is they are coming off more and more like WWE-lite. The Big Show was a stale character who was terribly booked for years with constant heel and face turns. He just turned 49 years old and has every bit of the WWE stank on him. And he's a massive human being, but in AEW it's of almost mythical status given how small their wrestlers are.

To me, it's a terrible fit. And Yohe had the idea...if AEW wanted to compete (outside of competing because the WWE's ratings plummet so badly), they need to start to job out these former WWE guys so to give the appearance that the AEW product is superior to the WWE product. But that ship has long since sailed.

This is what Heyman did so brilliantly for about 4 years in ECW. If he pushed former WWF guys they usually had not wrestled on WWF TV in years (i.e. Terry Funk) or they viewed as being good, but completely underutilized (i.e Shane Douglas) or they had a complete change in their gimmick (i.e. Raven). Otherwise they were usually jobbed out and ECW was viewed as 'better' than WWF.

YR
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't care about Big Show when he was new. You get stuck with a big guy like that, your forced to having him beat everyone. The Andre The Giant crap only worked if you only had to watch him once a year.

They need to make a deal with NJW. Do not use WWE, WCW, or ECW guys. Ever! Don't use old guys. Find someone with a brain to run the thing.---Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Wrestling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: