The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AEW Dynamite Thoughts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most recent ĎMatch of the Yearí candidate is supposed to be Dax Harwood vs. Jungle Boy. This was pretty good. I was hoping to see kinds like a teenage Benoit vs. Arn Anderson type of match and we didnít start to get that until the end. Harwood apes Arn Anderson hard and throws a bit of Tully in there as well.

This started out a little more spotty that I would have liked it. I would have preferred some more mat wrestling and letting Harwood establish his size and power advantage and then build up to some spots showing that size and power advantage before doing what they did in the last few minutes of the match.

And the only thing I had a problem with towards the end was the multiple false finishes which by themselves werenít bad, but everybody does false finishes these days and you knew they werenít going to get a pinfall from them. And part of the finish Harwood wasnít very convincing.

This sorta came off like watching a training camp seminar showing the young upstart beating the veteran than it was like Misawa getting a surprising win over Tsuruta to really elevate the young upstart. To their credit, they werenít being booked like Tsuruta vs. Misawa 6/8/90Öbut the point is that the feel of the match felt more like they were following a textbook that actually elevating somebody with a surprise victory.

That being said, I really like Jungle Boy and Harwood here. Iíd put this about the same quality as the Fenix vs. Omega match which was more spectacular in the spots, but this was more credible and much more sound. If we saw more of this along with the stoppage of false finishes so false finish sequences like this one would have a greater impact, AEW would be better for it in the long run.

* * ĺ

YR
corrado

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So last night, business literally picked up at the end of Dynamite.

https://www.f4wonline.com/aew-news/kenta-appears-aew-dynamite-attacks-jon-moxley-332221

https://www.f4wonline.com/aew-news/aew-new-japan-pro-wrestling-establish-working-relationship-332261

Long overdue, IMO. And having Kenta attack Moxley was great, even if you kinda knew he was going to appear, based on his various trolls/hints on social media. Obviously you canít do a full relationship due to the pandemic. Sio having Kenta show up is a nice start. I hope heís able to do the same type of promos that heís done in the NJPW backstage segments. Iím sure thereíll be people confused as to why he talks to the cameraman like that. If youíve watched, you know what Iím talking about.

This is a much better crossover than Impact's Good Brothers. Although Tony Khan and Schiavone shitting on Impact, while appearing on that show every week is great. even if itís basically admitting that the Impact show sucks without AEW.
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Wight is now with AEW.

You have to wonder how well AEW is doing financially with so many guys coming in, particularly Wight and Borden who don't come cheap. It's a low level TV deal and they have to pay for their own production, rent, payroll, etc.

Worse is they are coming off more and more like WWE-lite. The Big Show was a stale character who was terribly booked for years with constant heel and face turns. He just turned 49 years old and has every bit of the WWE stank on him. And he's a massive human being, but in AEW it's of almost mythical status given how small their wrestlers are.

To me, it's a terrible fit. And Yohe had the idea...if AEW wanted to compete (outside of competing because the WWE's ratings plummet so badly), they need to start to job out these former WWE guys so to give the appearance that the AEW product is superior to the WWE product. But that ship has long since sailed.

This is what Heyman did so brilliantly for about 4 years in ECW. If he pushed former WWF guys they usually had not wrestled on WWF TV in years (i.e. Terry Funk) or they viewed as being good, but completely underutilized (i.e Shane Douglas) or they had a complete change in their gimmick (i.e. Raven). Otherwise they were usually jobbed out and ECW was viewed as 'better' than WWF.

YR
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't care about Big Show when he was new. You get stuck with a big guy like that, your forced to having him beat everyone. The Andre The Giant crap only worked if you only had to watch him once a year.

They need to make a deal with NJW. Do not use WWE, WCW, or ECW guys. Ever! Don't use old guys. Find someone with a brain to run the thing.---Yohe
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AEW Revolution was largely panned last night. Even Meltzer said the ending was bad. They also hyped a new surprise signing...and it was Christian Cage.

Yup.

A 47-year old former midcard WWE guy.

It's becoming apparent that they think their path to success is to emulate Dixie Carter's TNA model.

Yikes.

And AEW fans will continue to tell me that this is an alternative, that Tony Khan knows how to book and I'm just 'out of touch' despite still being in the demo and they continue to hire guys from the 90's and the Naughts era.

I'm willing to bet they'll hire Mick Foley, soon.

YR
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Revolution PPV was criticized. They had a main event with a barbed wire exploding ring ala Onita and in the end the ring didn't explode. The kayfabe bullshit excuse was that Omega constructed the ring and he purposely, as a heel, constructed it so it wouldn't explode.

The idea of the exploding ring really only worked once 30 years ago because it was a novel concept. But once it happened the bloom was off the rose because it's just silly. On top of that, Tony Khan fed his fanbase a line of bullshit to make matters worse.

As I will say for the millionth time, Tony Khan has zero clue about booking momentum and his booking is maybe a sliver above Russo's. The only difference being is that he does try to give the fans what they want occasionally. He just has no clue as to how to build into that and how to book the return. Zero, zip, zilch, nadda.

Instead he just hotshots gimmick matches and they get exposed immediately.

He really needs to find himself a booker with a track record and some experience.

YR
corrado

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the aew women finally got their main event this week, and boy did it deliver big-time. One of the best AEW dynamite matches so far, and maybe one of the best womenís matches in a long time. Meltzer gave this 4.75, and said this was one of the best US womenís matches in the past few years. You can see why everyone in AEW was hyping this match as must-see., before the show, on social media.

It was quite the bloody affair but it was sensational. And while the show as a whole did not do that well in the ratings, the match did well in a lot of key demos. So hopefully thereíll be some more womenís main events in the future.
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen it yet although I plan to. Cornette said he liked the work, but it was 'lazy booking' which I tend to agree with. Although Cornette also said he thought Russo would be a better booker than Tony Khan which I wholeheartedly disagree with. I don't think Khan's booking is substantially better than Russo's, but Khan does understand that his core audience wants to see athletic in-ring action each week where the match is sustained for more than 10 minutes and that's just not Russo's M.O.

But like Russo, Tony Khan doesn't understand how to build things up and gain momentum in his booking, have a series of payoffs before the big payoff. Imagine if Baker and Thunder Rosa had a sustained feud over a series of matches with storylines and angles along with getting to know their personalities and then had PPV matches along the way before the feud hit a boiling point to where they had this type of gimmick match to settle the score once and for all?

That would have done far more for women's wrestling, both of their careers and AEW than to just hotshot them into this match which will be forgotten about in a month or so.

YR
corrado

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, donít you ever have anything positive to say about AEW? All you do on this thread is bitch about it and mostly criticize it. Itís getting a tad tedious, imo.

Look Does AEW have flaws?? Yes. The end of the last PPV, was obviously a big dud. But AEW allowed its talent to improv and crap on the misfired ending, rather then dust it under the rug, so that it isnít as notorious as before.

They shouldíve given the TNT title more shine these past few months with Darby as the champ, itís been in the backburner with Darbyís long feud with Team Taz. But at least theyíre starting to acknowledge that as well, with Darby teasing the return of the open challenges for the TNT title.

The womenís division for the most part had been relegated to one weekly quarter hour. And again, for the most part it was hampered with a lot of injuries, some of the overseas talent wasnít able to wrestle stateside till just recently. Thunder Rosa is still under contract to the NWA through the end of the year (which is why she probably hasnít been womenís champ yet.) I do concede, that Britt Baker should be getting weekly segments now since she is the draw of the womenís division.

But there is a lot to like, primarily the long-term storytelling that AEW possesses. Like the whole Inner Circle drama, MJF joining, he getting rid of Sammy, only for him to turn on the Inner Circle by starting his own stable, the Pinnacle. Thereís the evolution of Adam Pageís character which has been going on since he lost the first AEW championship match. Matt Hardyís deal, him changing gimmicks quickly.

I donít have a problem with Omega as the champ. Although he should have more clean finishes. Still the aew championship going from Jericho to Moxley to Omega and all three having decent reigns, is definitely a slam dunk for me. Better than unmemorable title reigns, and the title being a hot potato like latter-day WCW.

I donít know if I see Christian Cage as his successor. I think based on the very lukewarm reaction to Christianís long-time tag-team partnerís comeback, I know theyíre going to take it slowly with him. Although personally I think either Adam Page, or Eddie Kingston might be the next AEW champ. But thatís going to be several months from now.

Now what would you want to see AEW do for you to basically change your opinion of it? Iíll respond to that...
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not the only one that has constant complaints about AEW. They are a show that that basically does 750K/0.3 each week +/- 15%. They started off with 1.4M/0.68 and then the following weeks were at 1M/0.48.

It's a good deal for TNT because it's a low level TV deal ($840K/week) and they get quality advertising ratings. The 840K/week really doesn't cover much when you include paying talent, paying behind the line people, production costs, rent, etc. At my former job that I quit back last April, I frequently visited all of the major parks in the Orlando area on a monthly basis. This includes Disney World (which does about 30K/day thru the turnstiles), Sea World, Kennedy Space Center (5K people per day), Universal (20K/day), LegoLand, etc.

Despite only being about 2 hours from AEW headquarters, I only saw 1 person ever wearing an AEW shirt or somebody affiliated with AEW.

Given my business background and what I know about the actual dollars and cents of the wrestling industry, I think what gets lost in Meltzer's analysis is that it's not a very profitable company and it's not growing. Dave is looking at it form a TV executive trying to sell a show to advertisers. That's fine, but he is neglecting that it is not growing and has little in the way of brand recognition and awareness. Come 5 years from now most of the key players on the roster will either get worse due to age or become incredibly stale. And those fans will be lost due to natural attrition or getting sick and tired of the product. And by the way they are booking the talent they are not creating new superstars or in the process of developing a new superstar.

I wanted AEW to work as badly as about anybody. But the truth is that it's a poorly booked product that is not growing and whose viewership revolves around diehard wrestling fans...mainly those that Vince McMahon killed off.

Tony Khan's best thinking has gotten them here. His best thinking has taken Kenny Omega, who was so white hot that he actually helped get a Japanese company with mostly Japanese wrestlers put up respectable attendance figures in the US and do great business in Japan....taking that Omega from one of the coolest wrestlers in the world into this tacky, tongue-in-cheek wrestler that has go-home heat.

He has yet to build anything resembling a memorable feud. Everything gets hotshotted and people don't care about it a month afterward. Feuds, even in puroresu...make the wrestling business.

He's taken a team like FTR that so many people were dying to see a feud with the Young Bucks (even YB haters) and made them look almost no better booked than they were in the WWE.

The women's division for the most part has been a complete disaster, they've mismanaged MJF about as badly as you can. And from what I've been told about some of the contracts they are giving these guys, I can't help but think if Tony Khan was a real businessman that was very discerning about the profits instead of this being a passion project, he'd dump this company as soon as he could to some unsuspecting mark with money.

I don't hate all of the talent. I don't even hate the YB or Omega. But Tony Khan's ego has gotten in the way and he really needs a booker with TV experience to write the show and Tony should just give the final okay to make sure that they aren't doing anything to cross the line. Instead he insists on writing his own show and we see the mess it has turned into.

YR
corrado

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I tried.

oh well, my workís done.
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure why you feel the need to try.

It's just my opinion.

I have no desire to try and get you or any AEW fan to change their opinion. If you enjoy AEW, good for you. I post here to express my viewpoint and to read the viewpoint of you and other posters because I enjoy a good discussion.

But I hope AEW succeeds. I think a lot of AEW fans and Meltzer don't quite understand that. Not all harsh criticism is cloaked with the desire to see AEW fail or blind loyalty to the WWE (I'm about a fan of Vince McMahon as Yohe is).

I would be dishonest if I thought the product was good and tried to force myself to apologize for the crap on Dynamite each week. I didn't afford TNA, RoH, etc. that type of break and I won't afford AEW just because it's competing against Vince.

And from my experience and background of working with corporations to help build brands, market penetration, acquisitions, etc. along with having a good idea of how the wrestling business works...I just see AEW going down a similar path that so many businesses that fail have gone down. And I wish they would get off that path.

YR
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched Matt Sydal vs. Kenny Omega from the 3/24 Dynamite. A lot of this was really really good, but there were some periphery issues with this. One that is out of their control is the crowd really sucked. They came off like a bunch of paid fans that you would have seen in the Urban Wrestling League making weird chants and reactions that was out of sync with the action in the ring.

The other part that they do have control of is the announcing was rotten for this match. Someday there may be a promotion that avoids the 3-man announcing team like the plague, but here they went with a 4 man announcing team. And to top it off they continually tried to crack each other up in a serious match and missed key spots of the match that could have enhanced the viewing experience of this match.

Going into this match I was excited to watch it because Omega usually works great with hyper athletic guys like Sydal over really good workers that are not as athletic. But to my surprise despite the athleticism the pace was very slow for an Omega main event and it was just really great and it changed my opinion of both guys as workers (although I was a fan of Omega's in-ring work already).

The weak points of the match itself was that the selling was inconsistent and it really didn't tell much of a story. There was a bunch of big moves hit by both guys that they would initially sell and then 30 seconds comeback with a big move showing no effects at all. There was one sequence of those big moves and then Sydal goes to the top rope and Omega crotches him and Sydal sells the crotched top rope spot forever while Omega hits him with a running knee.

The lack of a real story probably prevented this from getting legitimately into the 5 star range. It was easy to follow along that Omega was going thru his moveset in sequential order, but Sydal doesn't really have a defined moveset and that took a little something off the story of the match.

But they had solid opening catch wrestling sequences, built up to the bigger spots and executed them so well. The biggest strength to the match was the counters and the one that stood out was Sydal going for a top rope rana and Omega slipping out underneath and Sydal bouncing off the ropes with his hamstrings. I thought it was a dangerous spot for Sydal, but he executed it perfectly. And it made you wonder why we don't see more of that counter to that top rope rana.

I have this as a * * * 3/4 match. Noticeably better than Omega vs. Fenix. It would be nice to see them find a way to continue this feud since they worked so well together, but that means they would have to find ways to elevate Sydal, first But again, they really need to re-think the announcing team. JR showed some desire to call the match, Excalibur has regressed into cracking up the other guy and Schiavone is better at interviewing wrestlers than calling matches.

Cornette liked this match as well. He doesn't like Omega's V-triggers which I disagree with. He thinks it's the best Omega match ever which I think is ridiculous. But I can see why he thinks so as it was more of a traditional style match of slowing the pace early and building into a frenzy towards the end. It's the best I've ever seen Omega do it, but still not on par as his matches with Okada and Jericho.

YR
corrado

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iím actually going to post a video by supposed AEW schill Dave Meltzer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKSDabhqoL8

While some points on here, may be a bit head-scratching. (Blood being a main reason why female audiences are checking out). There are some valid points regarding the ever-growing roster, and some people left with not much to do like Jungle Boy.

It seems the latest AEW criticism online (since the lack of women in the main event argument is over due to the women being the main event a few weeks ago) is that AEW has way too many factions. I canít go along with that. While it could be argued that say the Gunn club and a few of the nightmare family may not be important enough to be part of a faction, it is silly to criticize something that gives most of the roster something to do. even if it means doing most of your work on the 2 Dark shows.

The too many factions is argument is also silly because 75% of the New Japan roster is part of a faction. And even the non-faction members are part of the Hontai unit.

Perhaps the best solution to this is either an annual factions tournament to determine the best faction in AEW. Or just create a trios title, and have the factions battle for it.
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew quite a bit of females that would watch MMA and then immediately be turned off by the amount of blood in it. I don't follow AEW's actual show that often so I don't know how much blood they are using, but it doesn't surprise me that female viewers hate the blood given the issue they have had with MMA and blood.

It's not easy to book wrestling and today's wrestling may even be more difficult because every marketing focus group on wrestling has shown that fans want to see more athleticism with the in-ring product and longer matches. But if you have a bunch of 15-20 minute matches then less talent will get airtime.

That's why I would propose more of a NJPW style where they have a lot of 6 man, 8 man and 10 man tag matches. It allows for an athletic in-ring product, it gets more people involved without giving everything away as far as feuds go and you can get those 10-20 minute matches in. I don't know how much the American fans will like 6, 8 and 10 man tag matches, but they sure loved the 6 man tags in World Class in the 80's (I did, too).

I sorta agree on the factions argument. I think they need to use the factions more like they do in MMA where their 'factions' are basically guys that train at the same dojo and/or have the same trainers. That's generally the idea behind NJPW's factions. AEW's factions seem to lack any reasoning why these factions are formed. So I don't think it's the factions per say, it's just bad Tony Khan booking where he rarely explains what is going on and why it happened.

As I've said for a while now...Tony Khan doesn't understand how to book momentum in anything he does booking-wise. He hasn't developed or started anything that resembles a memorable feud.

Momentum is so key in booking pro wrestling because you need momentum to get wrestler's over and you need momentum to get feuds over. And feuds, even in something that is very shoot style like RINGS or Battlarts were, is what draws in wrestling.

They may need to be more conscious of how they use women and what matches they blade on, but until they can book anything with momentum, sustain and build upon that momentum....their ratings are never going to improve otuside of when NXT moves to Tuesdays.

YR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Wrestling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: