The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yohe's Movie Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
I think studios were refusing to make movies with old directors like Hawks & John Ford, and the only reason they got movies was because John Wayne would star. And Rio BRAVO was a big hit, so they did two more.

Land of the Pharaohs was a bomb and he took some time off in Europe, but that was after a stretch of directing a ton of stuff over 1952-53 including some hits.

After Rio Bravo and Hatari (Wayne as well), he got greenlit on two non-Wayne movies - Man's Favorite Sport (made money thanks to Hudson) and Red Line 7000 (which bombed out). El Dorado was already filming before Red Line 7000 came out, so it bombing didn't matter as far as El Dorado mattered.

Rio Lobo was a bomb. That might have put a fork in him, though plenty of other people got to make movies after bombs.

I haven't read a bio on him, so it's not totally clear what fully caused him to slow down after El Dorado and stop after Rio Lobo.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just the movie studio, it the insurance companies. On the last of the three mention, John Ford was on the set every day, in case something happened to Hawks.

Republic Studio didn't want to make the classic movie THE QUIET MAN. To get it made, Ford & Wayne had to make RIO GRANDE, a weak western, using the same cast in THE QUIET MAN. Ford's relationship with Wayne kept him in business.

I got this from reading a John Wayne book, about 8 years ago.

Wayne did want to make the last the last Hawks's movie, and bitched about making the same film three time. Hawks wanted Mitchum to be in RIO LOBO & he refused. It was so bad, that it wouldn't have been release without Wayne in it.

I don't like all three.--- Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
It's not just the movie studio, it the insurance companies. On the last of the three mention, John Ford was on the set every day, in case something happened to Hawks.

Which is funny as Ford was in just as bad of health as Hawks, and also hadn't made a movie since 1966 (Ford never made one after).

Of course Wayne could get most any movie made he wanted to back then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85
Page 85 of 85

Jump to: