The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2021/2022 NBA Thread

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject: 2021/2022 NBA Thread Reply with quote

Alright...
Dave Hogg

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pistons hadn't taken two consensus first-team All-Americans in the same draft since Jimmy Walker (Jalen Rose's dad, not the old dude doing old-people commercials with Joe Namath) and Bob Lloyd in 1967. Lloyd, Jimmy V's roommate at Rutgers, never played for them, but went on to be the CEO of the V Foundation.

I think Cunningham is going to be very good, and they've got young role players around him. Luka Garza will provide Big Ten-level fouls off the bench.

The Pistons and Tigers are now to the "ok, there's some sense of hope in the rebuild" stage. The Red Wings are getting there. The Lions are shuffling the rubble yet again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
corrado

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free Agency started minutes ago, and Lonzo Ball is headed to the Bulls on a 4 year deal. Lonzo and Zach Lavine is going to make for one fun backcourt.
corrado

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I think the big winners on the offseason are the Heat and Bulls.

The Heat got Kyle Lowry, PJ Tucker and Markieff Morris. And keeping most of their key young core.

The Bulls got Lonzo Ball, and Demar Derozan. I think they might finally make the move to the playoffs.

One team I don’t think is close to being a postseason team are the Pelicans. That’s a very weak team now. I would assume in the next couple of years, Zion will look to be traded to some playoff contender/super team.

Meanwhile I would assume the reason while the Celtics have been mostly quiet is because they’re waiting for a Beal trade. Or 2022 when Beal is a free agent. He seems destined to be with his close friend, Tatum.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was looking for something else and came across something I wrote on CP3 before last season. Thought I'd toss it here, and update it at the end.

Quote:
CP3 has been a Great Player.

He's played 15 seasons. He's been either the best player on his team 13 of those years, and the second best player twice (behind Harden). New Orleans was an awful team the year before he joined. The Clippers were the laughing stock of the NBA before he joined them. OKC was going into a tanking season when he joined them. Only Houston was a playoff level team when he joined. Despite that, he's teams have *averaged* 50 wins per 83 games played... all of those seasons in the brutal NBA West.

He's been on the League teams this many times:

2007-08 All-NBA (1st)
2008-09 All-NBA (2nd)
2010-11 All-NBA (3rd)
2011-12 All-NBA (1st)
2012-13 All-NBA (1st)
2013-14 All-NBA (1st)
2014-15 All-NBA (2nd)
2015-16 All-NBA (2nd)
2019-20 All-NBA (2nd)

2007-08 All-Defensive (2nd)
2008-09 All-Defensive (1st)
2010-11 All-Defensive (2nd)
2011-12 All-Defensive (1st)
2012-13 All-Defensive (1st)
2013-14 All-Defensive (1st)
2014-15 All-Defensive (1st)
2015-16 All-Defensive (1st)
2016-17 All-Defensive (1st)

There's only one 3rd team among them, so it's not like he's fluked onto any of them.

For he's career he's averaged 19-5-10 on .471/.370/.870 shooting while averaging 2 steals a game. He's not a ball hogging gunner, but an extremely efficient player... one of the most efficient of his generation.

This past season it was 18-5-7 on .489/.365/.907 with 2 steals a game. He's actually still very close to his career numbers, with only the assists down because he played on a team that deployed 3 point guards - CP3 (18-5-7), Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (19-6-3) and Dennis Schroder (19-4-4) with CP3 willing to share the ball handling load with the others for the betterment of the team.

He's been a Great Player through his career. He's going to be a first ballot HOFer.

This past season:

2020/21 Season
16-5-9 on .499/.395/.934 Regular Season
19-4-9 on .497/.446/.877 Playoffs
2020-21 All-NBA (2nd)

PHX went from 34-39 to 51-21.

His 10th All-NBA team (only one was 3rd Team), to go along with the 9 All-Defense (none 3rd Team).

He's a great player.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True...but he breaks in the playoff ... did it this year. If your not a championship class player...your not great. He is over rated. --- Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wiggins thing for GSW is a giant pain in the rear. They're a team with their clock running down given the age of Steph-Klay-Dray. Their picks the last two drafts are more "rebuilding" than "win now", which isn't a bad thing in terms of Trade Assets but isn't great in Winning Titles Right Now terms.

Wiggins is semi-useful in both directions of what ever the Dubs plans were for the year.

If they kept him, his defense improved significantly last season from a career long "clueless & don't really care" to "good" in the Warriors context. His 3P% was far and away a career best, and having Klay comeback means even more floor spacing. He's 6-7, one of those long wings that the Dubs love so much for switch ability. Useful if he can build on the improvements on defense and 3P.

If they were to eventually move him, the key thing is that he has a contract that fits nicely into matching a Big Star's if the Dubs eventually find a Big Star who wants out of his current situation. The Dubs can only take on a contract if they match up the money heading in the other direction. Wiggins + Wiseman (2020 #1-2) + Kuminga (2021 #1-7) is attractive for the right team heading into rebuilding - Wiseman & Kuminga have more potential long term than potential to impact this year. In turn, Wiggins' contract now has just two years left, so if you're rebuilding it's not something that cloggs the payroll for long.

The Vax thing makes his less attractive to a potential trade partner. Even more so that a Wiggins & Wiseman & Kuminga trade for a Big Star quite possibly would include a third team that would take Wiggins in return for offloading a Worse Contract onto the rebuilding team. In other words, a third team with modest goals (like making the playoffs) with a modest roster who views GSW Wiggins with 2 years on the contract as more useful to those goals than someone with a Sink Hole Contract who isn't as good as Wiggins. Have no idea who that might be, but there are bad contracts out there that teams want to get off from.

Teams that are like that don't really want to deal with Wiggin's vax issues. The Dubs want to be competitive, not have someone they worry about missing time with covid. Same goes for any team that might consider taking him as anything other than a salary evener.

I've been kinda hoping for the Dubs to take a reasonable step forward this year. Not exactly thinking they can be a Real Contender, but a Solid Playoff Team would be nice. The Dubs being good is good as a fan of the game - they play fun hoops, Steph is fun, Klay is fun, I love me some Dray... it's good as a fan if they're a lock playoff team, and it's good for the NBA.

Anything that gets in the way of that is kind of annoying.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a really fab piece that the NBA did hyping the 75th Anniversary / Season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1vaembXXRE

And a behind the scenes piece on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BTeec_8y3s

One gets the sense that there's enough material for other promos.

John
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

19 Defendants Charged With Defrauding The National Basketball Association Players’ Health And Welfare Benefit Plan

Mostly jobber players.

Big Baby Glen Davis is probably the most widely known of them given playing on the Celtics last title team, and the nickname and body type that got him a lot of run.

Tony Allen was the all-defense, no-offense guard for Memphis. One of the few "Kobe-Stoppers" in the league.

Shannon Brown was our back up shooting guard on the back-to-back title teams in 2009 & 2010.

Telfair's name always makes me recall Iron Chad given the Louisville and Pitino connection. God... I miss Chad a great deal. :.(
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: