The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Soft Tomatoes?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Greatest Man Alive

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Soft Tomatoes? Reply with quote

Just looking at RT, and they have reviews through the roof in favor of both The Waitress and Knocked Up. I'm confused as both had mediocre, niche movie type trailers.
eron

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Knocked Up is half as funny as 40 Year old Virgin, then its still a good movie.
corrado

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's alledgly the Comedy of the year and maeby great counter-programming for the big-budget Summer sequels out now and in the next few weeks.

Personally, I don't think it'll be good. I thought 40-year old Virgin was a huge disappointment and wonder why Judd Apatow is doing vulgar comedies nowadays. Of course I do plan on seeing his next produced comedy "SuperBad" with the very funny Michael Cera as one of the leads.

As for Waitress, it's been doing well despite it being in only limited release. It may be the "Little Miss Sunshine" of this year, but I highly doubt it.

Corrado
thinks http://www.funnyordie.com/v1/view_video.php?viewkey=86ee661c7c98800678fa

is probably funnier than the actual movie.
chadlaca

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: "knocked up" Reply with quote

It's much funnier than the trailer suggests. I've seen it twice now and laughed pretty damn hard both times. Loses a bit of steam in the middle, particularly on second viewing, but not nearly enough to hurt the goodwill it built up with me prior. Then again, I liked "40-Year-Old Virgin" quite a bit so take that for what you will. This movie's similar to "Virgin" in that they're both raunchy yet have a real sweetness at their heart.

To Corrado: I'm surprised you're looking forward to "Superbad" yet expressing disappointment in Apatow's move toward "vulgar" comedies. Based on what I've heard, I'm fairly certain that "Superbad's" gonna make "Knocked Up" look like a piker in the vulgarity department. I got a chance to speak with Seth Rogan last week (he also co-wrote "Superbad") and he specifically joked about how his "filthy brand of humor" now suddenly seemed mainstream and marketable to studio executives.
The Greatest Man Alive

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knocked Up is an excellent movie. I'm stunned at just how funny it was.

"This room has 5 different chairs!"
corrado

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: "knocked up" Reply with quote

chadlaca wrote:
To Corrado: I'm surprised you're looking forward to "Superbad" yet expressing disappointment in Apatow's move toward "vulgar" comedies. Based on what I've heard, I'm fairly certain that "Superbad's" gonna make "Knocked Up" look like a piker in the vulgarity department. I got a chance to speak with Seth Rogan last week (he also co-wrote "Superbad") and he specifically joked about how his "filthy brand of humor" now suddenly seemed mainstream and marketable to studio executives.

Well I think Mr. Apatow is much more capable of doing a gem like the short-lived series Freaks and Geeks, and the underrated Cable Guy. Yes I actually liked the movie, but after seeing 40-year old virgin, I was disappointed by the alarming rate of vulgarities. Still that won't prevent me from seeing Superbad. Mainly because Michael Cera is going to be huge. He's one of the funniest people today.

For the record I don't abhor vulgar comedy. I really enjoyed Borat, and I've been a fan of South Park since its inception.

Corrado
Check out http://clarkandmichael.com/ for proof of Michael Cera's genius.
eron

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think theres good vulgarity and bad vulgarity, and 40 Year old Virgin is good vulgarity. Want an example of bad? Try the sweetest thing. Ugh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: