The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boys will be boys at ESPN

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank_Jewett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Boys will be boys at ESPN Reply with quote

Add another complaint to the long list against the ESPN locker room.

Frank

ESPNS 'GROPE' DOPES - New York Post
Rian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESPN has to cover their backside due to the Harold Reynolds trial, this shit has been going on for years. I still wonder how Tirico has a job.
corrado

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not that surprised. woody Paige is a dead ringer for Roddy Rowdy Piper. What a fool.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trico was the favorite of one of the Powers at ESPN. Agreed that he should have been fired.

There is something odd about the complaint, though. The volume of items listed in the complaint is really large. They also come across as over the top.

I loath the sexist culture of ESPN. My initial instinct over the years has run more towards the victim in these things rather than "innocent until proven guilty", and that's not just in ESPN. I have no love for Woody or Mr. Beefcake. But... there's something in odd about the items in the complaint.

John
Iron Chad

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel sorry for any guy that calls himself "Woody" that gets tagged with a sexual harassment complaint. Though I agree with John that this complaint doesn't seem to pass the smell test, "Woody" inquiring to the makeup lady about his "big one" makes for believable reading.

Also, if she was going to, uh, finger a "Cold Pizza" person for sexual misconduct, Skip Bayliss is right there. Many folks would believe (or at least would really want to believe) anything that asshole was accused of. The NHL and Ohio State would probably foot the accuser's legal bill themselves.

-Chad
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some believablity with Woody, and it seemed like he was gone from Cold Pizza for a long time... might even still be gone. Which is a typical ESPN thing to do - folks just quietly vannish from TV for a stretch like Sean Salisbury, then quietly are brought back when things blow over.

But the items from the complaint just... seem... odd.

One also thinks that in light of Reynolds and Sean that's it's unlikely a female employee would get fired for bringing these issues to Human Resources and/or her bosses. It's such a massive invitation for a lawsuit, and ESPN knows that.

One positive of this is that even if it's not smelling right, perhaps it lasts long enough for major discovery to be done in the case *and* ESPN's long history of this shit can be dragged out into the public. I think there are so many things like Salisbury that have been buried in those Human Resources files that it's not even funny. One wishes that it would all come out in a major case so that Disney if finally forced to bring the hammer massively down on ESPN's bullshit culture of this stuff.

John
Frank_Jewett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The believability factor for me is that environment plays a big role in determining behavior. Boys behaving badly will often feed off each other until someone crosses the line. Unfortunately ESPN seems to have fostered a culture where the lines didn't mean much anyway.

If it was a complaint against people in an organization that had no track record, I would suspect the complaint was building up a "thud factor" of numerous incidents, but given ESPN's apparent tolerance, it's easy for me to believe that harrassment could have been an everyday thing.

Frank
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harassment by Woody and Crawford is believable. I believed it the *instant* the buzz about Reynolds and Salisbury came out.

The quotes in the article, especially the volume of them, is odd.

That she would be fired because of them, while Crawford stayed on the air and inlight to Reynolds being, is also odd.

I do hope that a great deal of discovery comes out in this case and in the Reynolds one (if he pushes it) on just how much of this is going on and is buried in the ESPN employee files.

But...

The specifics here are rather odd. That's all. There's something that just doesn't smell right.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: