The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steinke get billing over Ladd, Scott, Crabbe & Baba

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Steinke get billing over Ladd, Scott, Crabbe & Baba Reply with quote

Thursday night on the TURNER Channel they had a Bela Lugosi night. I taped the whole nights worth of films while I was at work & watched them last night.

The best film of the bunch was ISLAND OF LOST SOULS (1933). Great movie that I hadn't seen in years. My surprise was that the huge monster type guy, one of a group of animals that were made into really ugy looking humans, was Hans Steinke. Steinke was one of the most feared wrestlers of the late 20's & 30's who had a minor claim to the world title in New York in 1929 (he later lost in a elimination series with Londos & Shikat.). He was a huge man...about 270 with out fat. One of the first to used a press slam. Jack Curley used Steinke to challange Ed Lewis & Gus Sonnenber & no one wanted to mess with him.

He plays the lead villian (named Ouran under heavy make up) in ISLAND OF LOST SOULS, has a speaking part & gets billing on the movie behind Charles Laughton & Bela Lugosi. I think he's good in the part & looks huge. I didn't know he made movies in Hollywood but it shouldn't have been a surprise because film work was an added bonus for any wrestler working at the Olympic.

The Film was releised in Jan 1933 & you find Steinke wrestling Ray Steele at the Olmypic around June 1932.

Funny some of the other monster types in the tribe or group were unknows Alan Ladd, Randolph Scott, Buster Crabbe & a guy named Harry Ekezian...who would win the world title from Dick Shikat in 1936 under the name Ali Baba. Steinke got billing over all of them.---Steve Yohe

Steinke's filmography

The Buccaneer (1938) (uncredited) .... Tarsus
Nothing Sacred (1937) (uncredited) .... Wrestler
People Will Talk (1935) .... Strangler Martin
Once in a Blue Moon (1935) .... Count Bulba
Sweet Cookie (1933)
A Wrestler's Bride (1933)
Island of Lost Souls (1933) .... Ouran
Deception (1932) .... Ivan Stanislaus

Harry (Ali Baba) Ekezian's filmography

Man on the Flying Trapeze (1935) (uncredited) .... Hookalakah Meshobbab
... aka The Memory Expert (UK)
Registered Nurse (1934) (uncredited) .... El Humid
Alice in Wonderland (1933) (uncredited) .... First Executioner
Island of Lost Souls (1933) (uncredited) .... Gola
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: