The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Potter 7 thoughts? (spoilers okay)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Potter 7 thoughts? (spoilers okay) Reply with quote

Feel free to posts thoughts after you've read it.

I'd read spoilers earlier in the week, haven't read the book yet... so don't feel shy about spoilering it up. :)

John
Regan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't finished it yet, but with nearly 3/4 out of the way, I'm really enjoying it.

I'll avoid going into details until I'm done with it, but the situation turns dire pretty quickly, and the enormity and difficulty of the quest Harry, Ron and Hermione set out upon sets in pretty hard.

As with the rest of the books, it's quite the page turner, and much like the movies, it hurts some from not having quite so much of the adults as I would prefer. However, as we've lost a lot of them in the previous books, and some more so far in this one, I guess that should be expected.

Kevin
Regan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then I'm done.

I enjoyed the hell out of it. The carnage was pretty brutal, with far too many characters biting it, but the majority of the book dealt with the war between the Death Eaters and decent folks, and for that to feel real, there had to be casualties.

The middle of the book dragged some, dealing primarily with the quest to discover the Horocruxes, and then destroy them, but once the end rolled around, with an all-out assault on Hogwarts, I felt I lost the right to complain.

I know this is the spoiler thread, but I'd still like to wait a little longer before going into detail...but that was a hell of a read.

Kevin
Jeremy Billones

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the "spoiler" thread, after all.

I enjoyed it quite a bit, even after realizing that when they get around to making the movie they'll probably drop the Hallows subplot in its entirety. It's important for giving Dumbledore his feet of clay, but you don't need that for the movie, which will probably just stick with Olivander and the legend of the Elder wand.

Jo had a problem with the epilogue. Ending with Harry sending his son on the Hogwart's express was the right thematic choice, though it meant that Harry wasn't at Hogwarts himself and that's just silly.

I liked all of the callbacks (even though Neville/Voldermort was just showing off :) I especially loved the period when Harry realized he had seen the diadem before, and you as the reader had about five pages to rack your brains to remember where you'd read it before she revealed it.

In retrospect, I don't like that PoA featured time travel -- it's the one gun Jo put on the table that she never took off of it. And I thought Harry (and McGonoghal !) were a bit casual with Unforgivable Curses. But all in all, an excellent book, even if radically different from the first two.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy Billones wrote:
But all in all, an excellent book, even if radically different from the first two.

But... but... didn't she have this planned all along?!?! Please don't tell me she's pulling a George Lucas here! :P

John
Regan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My humor detector may be broken today, but I always thought that the plan was for the books to grow up with the audience, which would necessitate a different tone in the last book than in the first two.

Also, I'm sorry I didn't give more spoilers in my earlier posts, but criminy, the book hadn't been out for a day yet. :)
Jeremy Billones

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They grew as Harry grew, but I don't know that "intended audience" applies for a series that they changed the rules to keep off the NYT Bestseller lists :)
dewelar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Intended audience Reply with quote

As far as the intended audience...that only works if you don't expect your work to be read by anyone after the initial release, because once a series is out, people tend to read them *in series*.

Besides, I'm not exactly sure Harry grew, other than physically. Mentally, I'd say he remained about the same throughout the books, and emotionally, I think he may have *regressed*. He seemed to have the same, or similar, internal conflicts in every bloody book.
Jeremy Billones

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He had the same conflicts, but much like the proverbial economics exam, his answers changed :)

(Admittedly, in some cases the answers simply changed. After six books of asserting that it was a good thing to be able to say Voldemort's name rather than You Know Who, suddenly in 7 it's a *bad* thing? Bah. I'm still bitter that they killed the line in the movie.)
Nykk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

::(Admittedly, in some cases the answers simply changed. After six books of asserting that it was a good thing to be able to say Voldemort's name rather than You Know Who, suddenly in 7 it's a *bad* thing? Bah. I'm still bitter that they killed the line in the movie.)

Well, that was because the Dark Side finally grew a brain and decided to use that bit of Good Side Courage to their advantage. I thought it was pretty clever, actually.

And are you talking about the "Fear of the name increases fear of the thing itself" line? Because it was in the second movie... Hermione says it instead of Dumbledore, and that's also the movie where she gets all of Ron's lines and he's basically reduced to an innocent passerby.

I was pretty satisfied about how it all turned out, and my only real big gripe is that I would have liked another chapter or so of aftermath. Some things in the last chapters were rushed, and only on the second read through did I figure out what happened to the background Death Eaters like Greyback, Mcnair and company. But I would have liked to see some minor questions answered, like did Hagrid end up with Madam Maxime? And where's the big monetary gain for the Weasleys that's been set up for seven books? What happened to Voldemort's body? I think it would have been fitting if a handful of main characters had buried him somewhere and made Harry Secret Keeper so no one would find him.

I heard that Rowling may be looking to publish an "encyclopedia" type book on the Wizarding World, which will include what the characters did after the end of the story, so we may find some of that stuff out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: