The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Simpsons Movie

View previous topic :: View next topic  
corrado

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: The Simpsons Movie Reply with quote

Well it lived up to the hype and then some. I was very impressed with the writing and of course animation. The voice work was great too. I also liked how the vast array of one-off and minor characters were the townspeople this episode rather than generic people which every episode has at least one scene with them instead of the obscure characters. I mean I don’t think Brad Goodman has appeared since “Bart’s Inner Child.”

There were a few flaws though like 2 strangling scenes instead of 1 and the fact that Mr Burns/Smithers had very few scenes. I mean they could’ve had one with Russ Cargill. Still though, highly enjoyable.

its a shame that the regular TV show woun't be as great as the movie again.
The Greatest Man Alive

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a very fun movie. Just about as good as you're going to get with this franchise extended to that amount of time. I'll agree that the main missing ingredient was a little more Burns.
Regan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll chime in with another "It was very good". While I also enjoy more Burns, there weren't a whole lot of other places to put him in. I did enjoy both his final scene in the credits, as well as Maggie's first word (so far as the rest of the family was concerned).

Lots of cute scenes, sight gags, and guffaw out loud moments. Also, it's worth the $7-12 ticket price if only for the rest of the Spider-Pig song.

Kevin
Frank_Jewett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole family saw it and liked it. Not nearly as artistic or deep as "Ratatouille" or the other Pixar flicks, but the central plot supported the feature length and frequent gags and asides kept it from dragging.

It's funny, because I thought the previews sucked and seeing those bits in context (Homer between a rock and "A Hard Place") did nothing to make them funnier, yet overall I enjoyed the movie so much that I wish there was a "Director's Cut" with even more footage.

I wouldn't mind a sequel, though maybe they should wait five years to build up a backlog of fresh topical material. This movie had a bunch of current references without the faux hipster heavy-handedness of DreamWorks.

One minute of Tom Hanks shilling for the government was more enjoyable than the sum total of Eddie Murphy's animated career.

Frank
Iron Chad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I caught this Tuesday and enjoyed it as well. I'll also agree that the film was hurt by a lack of Smithers and Burns and seemed a bit on the short side as well (their gag in the closing credits makes up a bit).

Overall well done. I would welcome a sequel with the same effort and an extended DVD. Rainier Luftwaffe Wolfcastle would've made a much better President than Ahnuld, though.

-Chad
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me as one of those who enjoyed it. And I haven't watched first-run episodes of the TV show for some time.

But there were definitely a bunch of moments in which you laugh out loud and some nice nods to classic episodes... nods that you don't have to know all the inside info about the show in order to understand.
Fong

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very enjoyable film. I went with two other die-hard Simpsons fans - one loved it more than I did, the other totally hated it, save for the "SOP" sign bit. Parts of it did drag for me, which isn't surprising when the writers are more geared towards 22-minute sprints as opposed to a 90-minute marathon. The lack of Burns was disappointing, but at least there was sufficient Comic Book Guy and Ralph Wiggum.

I'm wondering if anyone else caught the same previews before the film that I did - the one that jumped out, obviously, was for The Rock's new film. The long and short is, he plays a hard-nosed pro linebacker who suddenly finds out he has a 6-year-old daughter. Hilarity ensues, I assume.

Perhaps Rock thinks that this will be his "Twins" - the big-time comedy hit that shows off all facets of his acting abilities, makes a bunch of loot, and endears himself to a crowd that didn't follow his feuds with Austin, HHH, and the rest. Problem is, the concept for the movie seems overdone and just teeming with potential for cliches that won't generate strong word-of-mouth. I'm not sure what comedies are on the slate for Fall, so if competition is soft, this could be a minor success. But I don't see it being more than that.

-HJF
Frank_Jewett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you smell what Steve Carell is cooking?

The Rock would settle for "The Pacifier", the fish-out-of-water comedy that proved Vin Diesel still had some marketability as a leading man while stomping "Be Cool" in a head-to-head box office battle.

The Rock has starred in a string of lame projects, culminating with Richard Kelly's "Southland Tales", a film so bad it's been in hiding since it opened to howls of derision at Cannes last spring. The Rock's last film, "Gridiron Gang", was yet another cliched, multiplex also-ran.

One project, "Spy Hunter", appears to have finally been scrapped after several years of rewrites by several Hollywood hacks. Taking its place is a big screen version of sixties spy parody "Get Smart" starring Steve Carell and Anne Hathaway as Maxwell Smart and Agent 99.

Far from being the next Arnold, The Rock has been the next Charles Bronson or Chuck Norris, consistently landing leading roles in largely forgettable pulp. The Rock has earned millions for himself, but so far he's been little more than a curious footnote in the movie business.

Frank
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I'm just a chef..."

And he has another one lined up, playing Capt. Marvel in Shazam! for the same director as Get Smart.

He seems to be doing one primary movie a year, and mixing in the occassional smaller roles (Be Cool and Southland Tales).

Rock's career is really good for Rock. It doesn't seem to be very good for anyone else. :)

That said, he's 35, doesn't seem to have a bad rep of being difficult to work with, and hasn't even yet had to look for a TV series.

If David Caruso could piss away NYPD Blue, have a wretched movie career, piss off most of Hollywood in the process, and then somehow stumble into a massive world wide hit like CSI Miami... one still gets the feeling that Rock will find some paying jobs even after people wake up to the movie career clunking along.

Another example if Don Johnson, who somehow got 6 seasons out of the weak Nash Bridges long after all the Miami Vice heat had burned out.

Hollywood has more second chances the Marty Jannetty.

John, thinking it's frightening that Gary Busey has *90* listed roles in the 15 years since Under Siege...
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't picture Rock in the Captain Marvel role. It's kind of like Superman... the role calls for someone who is nearly unknown in acting circles. And while Rock may not be "top list" material, he certainly is a "known" actor in Hollywood.

Either that or I'm picturing Capt. Marvel like he was portrayed in Justice League Unlimited, in which he is clearly fascinated with people worshipping him as a hero (keep in mind, the backstory behind Capt. Marvel is that it's an 11-year-old boy who transforms into the hero).
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw the Simpsons tonight.

I'm not a hardcore fan of the show, having seen "just" 75-100 of the episodes over the years which is chump change. It's enough to know most of the characters that popped up, but not enough to come in with views on how everyone and everything could be perfectly used.

As a casual fan, it was pretty close to perfect for me. It came across as an extended episode, well plotted and paced, never seeing like it was trying to cram too much in. I like Burns and Smithers, and reading Chad and others comments about his use, I went in prepared to be disappointed by it. The odd thing is... the secondary characters got cameos, but rather than try to cram in a Big Moment for each, it really was just cameos for each... and I think it worked. It kept the focus on the family, which was the Plot. In addition, it made the primary secondary character to get playing time, Flanders, have a really strong role in the movie. So, I'm okay with the limitation of the secondary characters.

Lots of laughs. Really well done. I'd be happy to watch a sequel.

John, who well likely get yelled at for talking about this animated movie before another one... :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: