The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"The Hot Button" by David Poland, turns 10

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremy Billones

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: "The Hot Button" by David Poland, turns 10 Reply with quote

I don't remember when I started reading David Poland's online movie columns. It was probably Monday Nitro's fault, indirectly. TNT was hyping their "roughcut.com" entertainment website, and that's where he started out online. He went independent at or around the time roughcut folded, and now he's part of the moviecitynews.com site.

Like many movie critics, he likes art films more than mainstream films, and he spends more time talking about the film industry and who's firing who than somebody like Roger Ebert does. But whether I agree with his opinions or not (and it's pretty random whether I do or not), I think his head's on straight and when he gets pissed off it's at the right people for the right reasons.

Anyway, I'll drag over his annual tradition column:

TOP TEN HOT BUTTON RULES OF THUMB

1. Great Media Outlets' Standards Are Less Stringent When The Subject Is Entertainment And That Sucks.

2. $150 Million Is No Longer A Blockbuster In Theatrical… But Right Now Represents The Start Of A Road To More Than $200 Million In Returns to The Studio In Most Cases Thanks To The New DVD Market And Expanded International Theatrical Market.

3. Successful Movie Advertising Sells One Idea At A Time… And There Actually Has To Be An Idea Worth Selling

4. The Story Of The Moment Is Almost Never The Real Story

5. There Are Very Few Journalists In Entertainment Journalism

6. Talent Is Your Friend Until It's Time For Talent Not To Be Your Friend

7. Reviewing Scripts Or Test Screenings Is Selfish And Immoral… You Do Not Know What Effect Sticking Your Nose Into Process Will Have And More Often Than Not It Is Negative

8. Opening Weekend Is Never About The Quality Of The Movie

9. There Are Things I Know And Things I Don't Know And Sometimes They Change

10.Love What You Do And Do What You Love Or Get The Fuck Out.

http://moviecitynews.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: