The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best. Remake. Ever.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremy Billones

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Best. Remake. Ever. Reply with quote

"My personal take is that film is now a mature enough art form that remakes can be, as in theater, something wonderful. Someone needs to have a reason to do it other than just money... but something like riffing on Citizen Kane with a internet billionaire who goes mad after investing in the internet, high-def, and basketball might be fascinating. And so long as the masterpiece original exists, who is hurt?"

- David Poland
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think bad sequals hurt a classic more that a remake. As with Godfather 3 and Alien 3 or all the Rocky movies following the good first.

A lot of times a bad remake will make people go back to the classic to see what made it special or even put the good film on DVD.---Yohe
eron

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes it makes a lot more sense to do a remake than a "homage" film, because the homage is so painfully trying to be what inspired it, you want to stop watching the movie and goto the original. Case in point: Lucky Number Slevin.

I guess when it comes to the list, I personally go: 1. Crappy Homage, 2. Crappy remake, 3. Crappy Sequel.

I still haven't seen the Matrix sequels. It never seemed like something I *had* to do. The first movie said everything it needed to say for me. I may end up seeing them just to understand half of the jokes I hear about the movies. A sequel is easy to ignore.

Remakes are harder to ignore. You know it is based on a classic. You get the feeling this was made by a group of unoriginal people and a lot of thespians who want to pay tribute to a great piece of work by putting their stamp on already established roles. While we have seen sequels that trump the original, we haven't seen too many remakes that trump the original. Unless the original really wasn't that good and the movie is trying to undo the wrongs made by that original film (In other words, I want to see someone re-make Dune).

Homage films though... when you hear about it, its intriguing, because it sounds like an old friend. It's new, but its stuff you like. You want to like it because of the movies you remember liking coupled in. Then you see it, and it sucks, and it makes you wish you had not wasted your time and money and just pulled out your copy of the original movie you loved. I guess this feeling when I seen Slevin ("We want to be the Usual Suspects!"), Boondock Saints ("We want to be Tarantino!") or anything Shamalamanaman's done after Unbreakable and Sixth Sense.

A remake of Citizen Kane based off of Cuban? I actually like Cuban so I don't know if I would really care for it. However, as a side note, has anyone seen RKO 281? Liev Schreiber looks exactly like Orson Welles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: