The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who needs film critics anyway?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank_Jewett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Who needs film critics anyway? Reply with quote

The recent trend toward not pre-screening films out of fear that bad reviews will sabotage the box office picked up steam this weekend as "Crank", "The Wicker Man", and "Idiocracy" all avoided pre-screening.

I don't know how much studios can hope to salvage from this ridiculous strategy. "Snakes on a Plane", a box office bomb, actually got positive print reviews but was killed by bad word of mouth and general disinterest.

What's next? Will movie theatres employ cell phone blocking technology to prevent disgruntled audience members from warning their friends as they trudge to their cars after seeing yet another highly pimped dud?

The problem isn't the critics, it's the lousy films. The tactic of avoiding pre-screenings for critics is so common, and so commonly associated with lousy films, that not pre-screening will do as much harm than bad reviews.

If a movie can't risk criticism, it probably sucks.

Frank

Rotten Tomatoes article on ducking critics by avoiding pre-screening
eron

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell, I'm sure bad criticism helped a few films, like Clerks II. My dad said he was gonna wait for the DVD until he heard abotu Siegel walking out due to a Donkey Sex show. It sold the movie ticket for him :)
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LA Times film critic Carina Chocano has a piece on this topic last week:

It's critics vs. the hype (not the audience)

Also a Times pre-release piece on the buzz of Snakes:

That buzz on 'Snakes' could just slither away

John
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That second column about Snakes certainly sums up what Internet hype is about these days... it's overrated.

The Internet was something new to many people during the years in which The Blair Witch Project was released, but by the time films such as Snakes came out, the Internet was commonplace. It became no different from "water cooler talk" at the office.

I don't think Internet talk necessarily means a movie will be a bad one, mind you. I watched Serenity and liked it. But as that column notes, Internet buzz doesn't mean big box office any more.
Iron Chad

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who was a WCW fan and lived through the Russo days knows how much internet hype equates to real-life sales. . . diddly to squat.

-Chad
Frank_Jewett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great writing by Chocano... and she mentioned tOA... sorta. ;)

Frank
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did she?

I'd been meaning to link to that since I read it in the fish wrap. This thread reminded me to, since the RT piece was similar. It's a rather hot topic among critics since the buzz is that they're obsolete. :)

John
RL

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: The Descent Reply with quote

The descent also wound up with lots of positive critical reviews, even more impressive given that its a horror film, and it didn't score very highly in its American release either.

~rl, who has the British DVD of the flick ordered
eron

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know IGN gave the Wicker Man a pretty solid rating, but they also recently gave Crank a good rating, and I see absolutely nothing good about another Jason Stratham action movie.
Jeremy Billones

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's wrong with "another Jason Stratham action movie"?
RL

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Crank" looks like it was produced by Maxim magazine. I just don't have the testosterone for it.

~rl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: