The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Golf Thread (a/k/a/ Tiger Scoreboard)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Tiger Scoreboard... Reply with quote

Sixth win of the season at the BMW Championship, seventh at the Tour Championship.

Tiger's 31 Season
1 - Majors
7 - PGA Wins
0 - Non-PGA Wins

Jack's season that he's chasing:

Jack's 31 Season
1 - Majors
5 - PGA Wins
4 - Non-PGA Wins

Passed Jack's season down the stretch. With the birth of the child, didn't play overseas as much as in the past.And career to date:

Tiger Career through 31
13 - Majors
3 - Amatuer Majors
61 - PGA Wins
10 - Non-PGA Wins
1 - Ryder Cup
2 - President Cups

Jack Career through 31
9 - Majors
2 - Amatuer Majors
38 - PGA Wins
18 - Non-PGA Wins
1 - Ryder Cups

All-Time PGA Wins List:

82 Sam Snead
73 Jack Nicklaus
64 Ben Hogan
62 Arnold Palmer
61 Tiger Woods
52 Byron Nelson
51 Billy Casper

Arnie and Hogan next year barring injury.

John
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This struck me last night while I was updating my spreadsheet.

Since Tigers "slump" at the age of 27-28 when he won "just" six events and no majors in two years, he's 21 PGA events and 5 majors in the 2005-2007 seasons.

What's 21/5 like?

22/4 Ray Floyd's career
21/5 Tiger 2005-2007
21/1 Lanny Wadkins' career

Floyd and Wadkins are Hall of Famers. I'm not saying they're high end HOFers. Wadkins is probably on the low end. Floyd is probably on the lower end of the "mid level", and it's really the majors that elevate him up to the mid-level.

Still, Wood cramed into three years what could be a HOF career for others.

Next year?

29/6 Lee Trevino's career

Woods will probably be in that general range. I don't know where one would put Lee in the HOF scale. Upper middle level, or lower upper level due to the 6 majors.

It's really pretty staggering what he's done and can do.

The best three year runs by Jack and Arnie:

22/5 Arnie 1960-62 (30-32 years old)
19/4 Jack 1971-73 (31-33)

22/5 Tiger 1999-01 (23-25)
19/6 Tiger 2000-02 (24-26)
21/5 Tiger 2005-07 (29-31)

John
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Tiger Scoreboard... Reply with quote

Opened his campaign at the Buick Invitational, which he won for the 4th straight time. Yep, he sucks.

Tiger's 32 Season
0 - Majors
1 - PGA Wins
0 - Non-PGA Wins

Jack's 32 Season (1972)
2 - Majors
7 - PGA Wins
0 - Non-PGA Wins

This was arguably Jack's best season of his career. 7 wins was a career high, matched again in 1973. He next highest was five wins in a season, which he did five times. Two majors was his high, done five times but not in 1973 (just one major).

1972 was also the closest he came to matching Tiger's feat of holding all the majors at once. He won the 1971 PGA, after a run of just one major in 17 from the 1967 British Open to the 1971 British Open. (Jack's "slump" from 1968-70 was winning just one Slam and eight PGA events overall at the age of 28-30) Jack would follow winning the 1972 Masters, the 1972 US Open to hold three of the titles heading into the 1972 British Open. He finished just one stroke back of Lee Trevino at Muirfield. Pretty amazing.

Tiger Career through 32 (current year)
13 - Majors
3 - Amatuer Majors
62 - PGA Wins
10 - Non-PGA Wins
1 - Ryder Cup
2 - President Cups

Chasing:

Jack Career through 32
11 - Majors
2 - Amatuer Majors
45 - PGA Wins
18 - Non-PGA Wins
1 - Ryder Cups

All-Time PGA Wins List:

82 Sam Snead
73 Jack Nicklaus
64 Ben Hogan
62 Arnold Palmer
62 Tiger Woods
52 Byron Nelson
51 Billy Casper

Matched Arnie, just two behind Ben Hogan... at 32. Arnie at 32 won 8 tourneys, would win 7 the next year. Including his 32 season (since Tiger is just one tourney into it), Arnie won a total of 35 tourneys from the age of 32 to the end of his career. Jack won 35... let's just take a look at that list above and the wins they had from the season they turned 32 to the end of their career:

54 Sam Snead
48 Ben Hogan
35 Jack Nicklaus
35 Arnold Palmer
33 Byron Nelson
33 Billy Casper
1 Tiger Woods

Would could expect, given this level of player, to win another 30+ tourneys. The problem with that is that Tiger is far ahead of the pace of all of those guys - one can not judge what he has left in the tank by them because his tank has been an an entirely different level from them so far.

Obviously he wants Snead's mark, which is something he's talked about as a goal along side Jack's majors record. Those marks aren't terribly far off now, and one expects him to set his focus on 100 PGA wins and some entirely different level for the majors... one would think 25, which is one ahead of Margaret Court's tennis record (don't know what else he has to motivate himself with):

24 Court (tennis)
22 Graff (tennis)
18 Nicklaus (golf)
18 Navratilova (tennis)
18 Evert (tennis)
14 Sampras (tennis)
13 Tiger (golf)
12 Federer (tennis)*

He has used Roger's success to motivate him in the past year or two. It will be interesting to see how Roger, as rather laid back player, motivates himself now that Djokovic (20) has arrived and Nadal (21) being there to block on clay.

John
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Tiger Scoreboard... Reply with quote

Cruising along with a nice lead after two round, Woods had a horrendous third round to be four shots back of Ernie Els entering the fourth round of the Dubai Desert Classic.

Tiger birdied five of the last seven holes, including the 17th and 18th, for a comeback one shot win. Final round 65, -7.

Phil is in the clubhouse leading the FBR Open in Phoenix, but J.B. Holmes has a chance to win and/or force a tie.

Looks to be a nice golf season.

Tiger's 32 Season
0 - Majors
1 - PGA Wins
1 - Non-PGA Wins

Jack's 32 Season (1972)
2 - Majors
7 - PGA Wins
0 - Non-PGA Wins

13 - Majors
3 - Amatuer Majors
62 - PGA Wins
11 - Non-PGA Wins
1 - Ryder Cup
2 - President Cups

Chasing:

Jack Career through 32
11 - Majors
2 - Amatuer Majors
45 - PGA Wins
18 - Non-PGA Wins
1 - Ryder Cups

All-Time PGA Wins List:

82 Sam Snead
73 Jack Nicklaus
64 Ben Hogan
62 Arnold Palmer
62 Tiger Woods
52 Byron Nelson
51 Billy Casper

John
kjh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woods plots an unbeaten season after winning the WGC Match Play Championship on Sunday.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Tiger Scoreboard... Reply with quote

Big comeback in the 3rd round, then a strong 4th to hold off a strong round by Bart Bryant, and a terrific bird on the 18th to win it.

Four starts, four wins. Five straight PGA wins again. Another World Golf Championships event next, which he always gets fired up about. He's won 15 of them, and the WGC-CA Championship six times... the last three on the trot.

Tiger's 32 Season
0 - Majors
3 - PGA Wins
1 - Non-PGA Wins

Jack's 32 Season (1972)
2 - Majors
7 - PGA Wins
0 - Non-PGA Wins

13 - Majors
3 - Amatuer Majors
64 - PGA Wins
11 - Non-PGA Wins
1 - Ryder Cup
2 - President Cups

Chasing:

Jack Career through 32
11 - Majors
2 - Amatuer Majors
45 - PGA Wins
18 - Non-PGA Wins
1 - Ryder Cups

All-Time PGA Wins List:

82 Sam Snead
73 Jack Nicklaus
64 Ben Hogan
64 Tiger Woods
62 Arnold Palmer
52 Byron Nelson
51 Billy Casper

Yeah... it's ridiculously amazing.

I wouldn't be surprised with him taking the WGC-CA, then running into problems at the Masters. Sure, he's won four Masters. But there so often is someone (or several someones) stepping up to play out of their head there. It could be Tiger again. But it as easily could be someone else.

John
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Tiger has to get surgery to remove some cartalige from his knee (http://sports.aol.com/golf/story/_a/woods-undergoes-knee-surgery/20080415203709990001?icid=100214839x1200049320x1200001450)

From studying his golf swing it's noticeable that he's been compensating for the left knee as his left foot has been rotating throughout the swing.

Generally these type of surgeries are small, but I have to wonder if this will be a recurring thing for Tiger.

YAKUZA
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall correctly, didn't he play through the knee being hurt in one of his wins earlier this year? Looks like it just didn't go away, and reach a point where it was time to get it scoped.

John
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdw wrote:
If I recall correctly, didn't he play through the knee being hurt in one of his wins earlier this year? Looks like it just didn't go away, and reach a point where it was time to get it scoped.

John

According to Tiger it's been hurting him since 2006. I think he can definitely play well with it being hurt, although his driving distance has been down this year. Whether or not that's due to him being more careful with his driver or the knee injury is another issue. But I'm a little worried that this is going to be a recurring issue and the possibility that every time he has it scoped, it gets worse and worse.

YAKUZA
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mind numbing round of golf.

Phil's one hole... YOW!

Felt for Rocco melting down, and was pulling for him to get that bird on 18 to close well.

Course played where people could get hot when stroking well, but once they were out of synch it would punish the hell out of them. I really like how it played in that respect. It wasn't an "unfair" set up, just tough and at some point it was going to bite you because no one plays perfect.

Tiger blowing out the knee, it trashing his drives and shots to the green... then pulling the chip out of his ass on 17 and then playing 18 just about perfect for someone who's knee is bad... amazing.

I tend to think Rich's point above is correct - this is going to be a long term issue. I have a feeling that he's going to need to do more than "scope" it, and instead a major reconstructive will be needed at some point that puts him out for 6+ months or more of serious rehab.

Either than or after one of these scopes he's going to have to once again reinvent his swing to one that's less stressful on the knee.

John
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another sureal day. One really has to give it up again to Rocco for coming back, then hanging onto the lead. Another amazing pop for Tiger dropping the one on 18.

Now I need to figure out who carries this on Monday... crap, it probably conflicts with my Euro Championship settings. Poop!

John
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why for my money the US Open is the greatest tournament. They've done a tremendous job at Torrey Pines as for the most part if you hit a good shot you get rewarded if you hit a bad shot, you get penalized for it. Golf in its simplest form. In past US Opens, like the last one they had at the Olympic Club they overdid it and players would still get penalized despite hitting a good shot, but here it was just about perfect.

Monday ought to be interesting. If Rocco (who is a legit good guy on tour, not some made up media stuff) can just play his game he ought to be a nuisance for Tiger because the knee isn't helping and Rocco's game is hitting fairways and greens which can wear down an opponent in any conditions, particularly in the US Open. I'm sure Tiger's knee is bothering him, but he also seems to be hamming it up a little to me, particularly when he gets mad or does a fist pump the knee really doesn't seem to bother him then.

But Tiger's gotten here this week because of his impeccable putting and Rocco has gotten here through fairways and greens along with some timely shots. Tiger has been awful on #1 each day, I think he's +7 on that hole so far. If he takes another double and Rocco starts off with a par, that could pretty much get Rocco the win.

I still cannot believe that putt went in. I swear if it was anybody else it would've lipped out. ESPN carries it tomorrow starting at 11:00 or 11:30 EST.

YAKUZA
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Tiger Scoreboard... Reply with quote

Lost a 3 stroke lead, found himself down, and needed a birdie on 18 again to force more golf. Got the bird. Then won in sudden death.

Tiger's 32 Season
1 - Majors
4 - PGA Wins
1 - Non-PGA Wins

He has just 6 starts on the PGA this year, won 4, came in second on a bad wheel at the Masters, and was 5th in the second WGC event of the year.

Jack's 32 Season (1972)
2 - Majors
7 - PGA Wins
0 - Non-PGA Wins

14 - Majors
3 - Amatuer Majors
65 - PGA Wins
11 - Non-PGA Wins
1 - Ryder Cup
2 - President Cups

Chasing:

Jack Career through 32
11 - Majors
2 - Amatuer Majors
45 - PGA Wins
18 - Non-PGA Wins
1 - Ryder Cups

All-Time PGA Wins List:

82 Sam Snead
73 Jack Nicklaus
65 Tiger Woods
64 Ben Hogan
62 Arnold Palmer
52 Byron Nelson
51 Billy Casper

He has passed Arnie and Hogan in the same year.

Just ridiculously amazing.

John
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's crazy is if Tiger's driving accuracy was halfway decent, he'd dominate even more. His iron play is really impeccable and he's not the greatest putter in the world, but for the top players in the world he's probably noticeably better at putting than the rest of them.

The big hole was 15 where Tiger made a par and Rocco made a birdie. Even though Rocco won the hole, Tiger's tee shot was ridiculously far to the right and he was a bit lucky to come away in the fairway bunker in the 9th hole. He really should've made at least a bogey and came away with a par.

Great, great playoff.

YAKUZA
Iron Chad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy am I glad I had the good sense to DVR the playoff. I'm also glad I was able to avoid any news of the event until I watched it. I'm not so much a golf fan, but a Tiger fan, but I did get into Rocco and would've been fine with him winning, he played the steadiest of anyone and would've won had Tiger not gone bonkers with those three eagles.

Usually I fall into the "golf sucks on TV" crowd, but the playoff was unbelievably awesome (especially when you look back on underwhelming playoffs in the past with tiny galleries and no real compelling play). I just hope Tiger didn't toast the knee, he admitted in interviews that the rest of the year might be lost, but I don't see Tiger not at least making a go at the British and PGA just because Tiger at 70% is still the best golfer in the world, albeit only by a stroke. I bet he misses the Ryder Cup, since it's at Valhalla in Louisville and I have a chance of seeing some of it.

BTW, if you can catch it, the HBO documentary on the 1960 U.S. Open (with old Hogan, prime Arnie and young Jack all in it to the end) is well worth your time.

-Chad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Sports All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 2 of 15

Jump to: