The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best films of 2007

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: Best films of 2007 Reply with quote

Yohe's Best Films of 2007
1) Juno
2) There Will Be Blood
3) No Country for Old Men
4) Zodiac
5) Gone Baby Gone
6) Michael Clayton

Weak year.
Jeremy Billones

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You like "Gone, Baby, Gone" more than most, but seem not to be impressed by "Once" or "Diving Bell and the Butterfly".

(Forgot the URL: http://www.moviecitynews.com/awards/2008/top_ten/00index.html )

I'm trying to remember what films I actually saw in the theaters
this year. Ratatouille. Order of the Phoenix. Bourne Ultimatum. Stardust. I think that's it.

(And my cousin got me a $25 Regal gift card. At that rate, I won't
be able to spend it all.)
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess that Steve didn't "Diving Bell and the Butterfly", and may not have seen "Once". Very small releases.

John
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right. Missed both. Also never got to see LA VIE EN ROSE or THE SAVAGES.

Also should have put IN THE VALLEY OF ELAH near the top of the list.

I like the job they did on the Nominations.

Saw Atonement yesterday & thought it was very overrated. Glad it didn't do well.

Very happy to see Tommy Lee Jones get a momination. I was hoping.

Yohe
chadlaca

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Steve on "Atonement." Thirty minutes in, I looked at the friend next to me and said "I don't care about ANY of these people." Seriously, if a safe had fallen on Keira Knightley's head at the hour mark I could not possibly have cared less.

Loved "There Will Be Blood." My movie of the year with a bullet. Daniel Day-Lewis is a fucking beast. The cinematography is great and the Johnny Greenwood score (which I could see polarizing some) adds to the film in my mind. It's flawed (the last third and particularly the last scene have understandably stirred much debate) but great I think. My own problems with the film were absolutely dwarfed by what fell on the good side of the ledger.

"No Country for Old Men" rocks as much as you'd guess. Dark and funny and boasting really terrific performances from the three male leads. Bardem is an absolute hoot and while you've seen Tommy Lee Jones do this before, I'd wager you haven't seen him do it better.

"Juno" is the little movie that could. Really made my day to see it get the best pic and (even more surprising) best director noms. A little too on the nose at times? Eh, sure. But still very sharp, funny writing and Ellen Page has officially arrived.

Biggest loser in the ad spend vs. results category? Paramount Vantage and their push for Eddie Vedder in the best song category. Vantage went balls out campaigning (I even got into an event on the lot in which Vedder played for about 200 people) and spent a shitload on packaging soundtrack cds with both trades only to end up with zero song noms vs. THREE for Disney's "Enchanted."

Your WTF fun fact of the day? "Norbit" 1 nom. "Zodiac" 0 noms.

Oh, and if you haven't seen "Once," it's already out on video, so hit your blockbuster or throw it in the netflix queue. It's worth watching.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Your right Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm with Steve on "Atonement." Thirty minutes in, I looked at the friend next to me and said "I don't care about ANY of these people." Seriously, if a safe had fallen on Keira Knightley's head at the hour mark I could not possibly have cared less.

Really, it sucks. I usally like this type of movie. I'm surprised more people haven't spoken up. Even has a Dusty Rhodes finish & I could care less which ending they used. Didn't work.

Quote:
Loved "There Will Be Blood." My movie of the year with a bullet. Daniel Day-Lewis is a fucking beast. The cinematography is great and the Johnny Greenwood score (which I could see polarizing some) adds to the film in my mind. It's flawed (the last third and particularly the last scene have understandably stirred much debate) but great I think. My own problems with the film were absolutely dwarfed by what fell on the good side of the ledger.

The acting and the movie itself is epic and rivetting, but in watching your thinking "where is this going?" Daniel Day-Lewis is driven and a hard Capitalist, but much of what he does is understandable. I was hoping he wasn't a true heel until the last 15 seconds. The last few seconds is its weak point, but thinking about it..I like it. The movie is worthy of a Oscar & if it wins...fine. I think it will be considered a classic movie in the years to follow mainly because it was a major work of the era's greatest actor.

Quote:
"No Country for Old Men" rocks as much as you'd guess. Dark and funny and boasting really terrific performances from the three male leads. Bardem is an absolute hoot and while you've seen Tommy Lee Jones do this before, I'd wager you haven't seen him do it better.

If your thinking the movie is a Peckinpah action film, its very disappointing. The protagonist is killed off screen, almost like a reel is left out. Stuff Tarantino might do. The confrontation never happens, which the body of the film seems to be building to. The hero just quits & goes home. Its as if the WILD BUNCH just stayed in the brothel counting their money, instead of taking the walk down to the general. Or Gary Cooper riding out of town with Grace Kelly, at 15 to 12, in HIGH NOON. So the first time I watched the movie, I love the body of the movie but hated the finish.

I read more & went back for a secong viewing, and as a kind of a art film, it is great. The killer is symbolic of something and it says something about random violence. I guess...I don't really get it...but the movie is great...if your ready for it not being just an action film.

Quote:
"Juno" is the little movie that could. Really made my day to see it get the best pic and (even more surprising) best director noms. A little too on the nose at times? Eh, sure. But still very sharp, funny writing and Ellen Page has officially arrived.

This might be the best film & the winner. I kind of like drama & action films better. I think my vote would go for it. Theres a lot to be learned from this movie.

Quote:
Your WTF fun fact of the day? "Norbit" 1 nom. "Zodiac" 0 noms.

They could have thrown ZODIAC a bone. Its a major film in a lot of ways.

Yohe

[cleaned quoting -jdw]
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES BY THE COWARD ROBERT FORD Reply with quote

Earlier in the year, I didn't get to see THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES. It was playing art houses for some time, but I didn't want to drive to Pasadena or, worst, Hollywood and play $6 for parking. This was a movie I was hot to see. Love Westerns & I've read books on Jesse James, but I felt they would have a wide release. It was a Brad Pitt movie. But I didn't read a good review of it and it died. The studio seemed to be interested in saving money & just dumped it. (The DVD has no extras either) Later I did hear some good things about it and most people praised Casey Affleck. It made some "best of" lists.

Got the DVD last night and I want to add this to my best of 2007 list. It's long & not paced like a commercial, but its not boring at any time. I thought it was great. I would say its a traditional western & not some strange art film. Done in a very realalistic style. Has a gunfight that is maybe the most realistic ever filmed. Maybe the dialog was hard to understand...I don't know. I used the DVD subtitles. Serious film on the James brothers & the Ford brothers.

Affleck got a nomination for supporting actor but in fact Bob Ford is the central character in the Movie. Brad Pitt has a ton of scene time but is in the supporting role. Pitt is great...maybe the best thing he's ever done. He played Jesse as a vicious killer who out thinks everyone and everyone is afraid of him. It's the fear of him that makes the film work. You also can see why Jesse was a folk hero to some.

Brad Pitt should have gotten the nomination & it may be the best performance of 2007. This movie's reputation will grow thru the years.--Steve Yohe
Tomer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Your right Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
The acting and the movie itself is epic and rivetting, but in watching your thinking "where is this going?" Daniel Day-Lewis is driven and a hard Capitalist, but much of what he does is understandable. I was hoping he wasn't a true heel until the last 15 seconds. The last few seconds is its weak point, but thinking about it..I like it. The movie is worthy of a Oscar & if it wins...fine. I think it will be considered a classic movie in the years to follow mainly because it was a major work of the era's greatest actor.

Honestly, I thought the point of the ending was that Lewis' prospector character (Plainview) had been pushed around by Eli and was embarrassed publicly by having to beg forgiveness to God (which he didn't recognize for most of the film) for being a bad father to his adopted son and the rage had built up to the final assault, starting by turning the tables and making Eli renounce God to get the deal and then telling him that it was already taken, making Eli gain nothing. However, he was not satisfied with simply breaking down Eli mentally and wanted to physically destroy whatever little Eli had (after losing his money in the stock market and in Vegas through gambling, whores, etc.) by throwing the bowling balls and battering him with the pin.

Basically, I saw it as the sign of a truly psychotic madman who had reached his threshold and then crossed it (sorta like the Howard Beale "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!" speech in Network) because he waited too long to dish it back (although he really did get an early measure of revenge when he dragged Eli through the mud and slapped him after he demanded the money for the Church following his adopted son's deafness from the oil explosion).

Quote:
If your thinking the movie is a Peckinpah action film, its very disappointing. The protagonist is killed off screen, almost like a reel is left out. Stuff Tarantino might do. The confrontation never happens, which the body of the film seems to be building to. The hero just quits & goes home. Its as if the WILD BUNCH just stayed in the brothel counting their money, instead of taking the walk down to the general. Or Gary Cooper riding out of town with Grace Kelly, at 15 to 12, in HIGH NOON. So the first time I watched the movie, I love the body of the movie but hated the finish.

I read more & went back for a secong viewing, and as a kind of a art film, it is great. The killer is symbolic of something and it says something about random violence. I guess...I don't really get it...but the movie is great...if your ready for it not being just an action film.

The thing with Llewelyn getting killed and why (IMO) it worked was that the whole point of the story is that he isn't John Rambo or a Western movie hero who is willing to go out on the shield. He is a man who sets off a chain reaction of tragic events by picking up the drug money satchel, creating 3 parties (originally 2 until Anton betrays the American drug dealer) going after him: the US drug dealers, the Mexican suppliers and Anton, the 'cleaner'. And while Llewelyn focuses on the US-side dealers and Anton, the Mexicans carefully sneak up from behind him (so to spoke) by spying on his wife and her mother (who spills the beans to the Mexican boss directly as he helps her take her bags). Llewelyn is therefore not killed in some glorious shoot out ala the Wild Bunch, but he gets side-swiped by the Mexicans in the van (that you see leaving right after getting the job done), which is good enough (IMO) to point out the inanity of the cycle of chaos that envelops the family.
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Best films of 2007 Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
Yohe's Best Films of 2007
1) Juno
2) There Will Be Blood
3) No Country for Old Men
4) Zodiac
5) Gone Baby Gone
6) Michael Clayton

Weak year.

There Will Be Blood is horribly overrated IMO. Went a good 45 minutes too long and was a film that was brilliantly acted, but poorly and haphazardly written and directed.

Zodiac was great. Although I don't know what they were thinking by making the font so small at the end of the movie telling about the future.

Michael Clayton was overrated as well, but okay and watchable. I think the movie lacked the proper arc that I look for. I'm pretty non-plussed about Clooney either way, but I thought he was solid here.

Haven't seen the others. Kingdom was a decent action flick. 3:10 to Yuma was also overrated with a completely non-sensical ending. Eastern Promises had potential, but it ended up to abruptly.

That's about all the movies I watched in '07.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: