The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

George Carlin Passes Away

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: George Carlin Passes Away Reply with quote

Not exactly a television personality, but....

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/National%20News/George-Carlin-mourned-as-a-counterculture-hero

Quote:
Carlin's jokes constantly breached the accepted boundaries of comedy and language, particularly with his routine on the "Seven Words" all of which are taboo on broadcast TV and radio to this day.

When he uttered all seven at a show in Milwaukee in 1972, he was arrested on charges of disturbing the peace, freed on $150 bail and exonerated when a Wisconsin judge dismissed the case, saying it was indecent but citing free speech and the lack of any disturbance.

When the words were later played on a New York radio station, they resulted in a 1978 Supreme Court ruling upholding the government's authority to sanction stations for broadcasting offensive language during hours when children might be listening.

So, in a way, he does have ties to TV... along with that short-lived sitcom he had. ;)

Seriously, Carlin was certainly unique in his delivery and, offensive or not, he could put forth some clever material.

"Why do they lock gas station bathrooms? Are they afraid someone will clean them?"
--George Carlin
Iron Chad

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget you could count on a new HBO special almost every year from George. Guys like Carlin and Penn and Teller who thumb their nose at the establishment and are willing to call bullshit (no pun intended) on things like religion and government and golf seem to be a dying breed. I can't think of a single stand-up comic I've given a shit about that's come around in the last 5 years. Maybe Katt Williams, but he's not going to be at the front of any social statement unless it's to legalize pot and pimpin' and hoin'.

I remember hearing "A Place for My Stuff" when I was 12 during Scout Camp. That album (including the Interview with Jesus that many of my evangelical troopmates would turn off) was one the most thought provoking pieces of comedy I've ever heard, besides the fact it was hilarious.

It won't be the same next time I'm able to get to Vegas and won't be can't see him perform.

-Chad
eron

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iron Chad wrote:
Don't forget you could count on a new HBO special almost every year from George. Guys like Carlin and Penn and Teller who thumb their nose at the establishment and are willing to call bullshit (no pun intended) on things like religion and government and golf seem to be a dying breed. I can't think of a single stand-up comic I've given a shit about that's come around in the last 5 years. Maybe Katt Williams, but he's not going to be at the front of any social statement unless it's to legalize pot and pimpin' and hoin'.

Is it sad me and you look for social statements in our comedy?

Dave Chappelle is pure comedy, and a good thing to hear after my Bill Hicks DVD.

Lewis Black is alright. He's actually better without the social commentary. I love mentioning his "End of the Universe" gag.

I really want Jon Stewart to do an HBO special. Stewart is a fantastic comedian and was pretty underrated. A routine today would be even more social/politically minded. I think it'd be great.
Iron Chad

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there's plenty wrong with me. Plenty more than what I look for in comedy. :)

I forgot about Chappelle, but lots of us did in his post Chappelle show career. Dave did one of those shows Icons and Legends shows with Maya Angelou, but he pretty much sat there glassy eyed while Maya told stories and read poems. Then they ate, Dave ate *a lot*, which probably explained the glassy eyes. I felt like I knew *less* about Chappelle after watching the show.

I agree with you on Lewis Black, the less he comments on society, the more I find him funny. I knid of dig his slob-authority guy figure he plays in most of his movies. Also agree with Jon Stewart, I don't even consider him a comic these days, more a funny TV guy with a political twist, which is different. At least he's still Jon Stewart and not playing a character like Stephen Colbert. I would welcome a Stewart comedy special.

-Chad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: