The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Free book previews on Book-TV for 48 hours every weekend.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Viewer

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Free book previews on Book-TV for 48 hours every weekend. Reply with quote

I'm cheap; I read a lot. I'm cheap.

Besides the New York Public Library and the chairs and tables at Barnes & Noble, I've found many books, some fine, some lousy, can be felt-out (felt-up?) by watching the author-presentations on C-Span's various channels every weekend and some evenings.

C-Span has three cable networks; some cable distributors offer only two of them -- the third is a history-type network that is used for live or recorded important government speeches/business when the other two are already covering more lofty matters, such as live sessions of the House and the Senate.

Book-TV is telecast on C-Span 2. It used to limit itself solely to non-fiction authors but has relented from time to time. Recently, lots of repeats on the same day, alas. So, so often, an author's presentation (which often runs an hour-or-so and is frequently covered live/recorded at bookstores and seminars around the country) is better than the author's book. Happens disturbingly often.

Authors are generally reqested to answer audience-questions at the end of their presentations, and beware of the hustler who says "read my book" as a response to a relevant, important question.

Book-TV saves me a great deal of effort in finding some of the most important non-fiction authors of our time. I can then read their works. Book-TV is also free. Did I mention I'm cheap?

A son of the late Patrick Grey (director of the FBI during one year of the Nixon Watergate scandal), in his new book, shed brilliant light on the Nixon situation in his (and his late father's) new biography of Grey that's been recently released. I never would have revisited the Watergate scandal without seeing his brilliant and amazingly-enlightening presentation on Book-TV.

If you don't already watch Book-TV, check it out. If you work weekends, that's why video recorders were invented.

Enjoy.

Ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: