The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

INDIANA JONES 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: INDIANA JONES 4 Reply with quote

Why don't we play the "Guess the Indiana Jones box office game"? I'm thinking 300 million in the US & 700 world wide. Want to guess?--Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing $325M+ Domestic and $400M overseas for $725M+.

John
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I was tring to say 700 total world wide.--Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... that's how I read yours.

I think it *could* do a heck of a lot more.

But it's really hard to gauge. I don't know how it will do with the kid vote. I don't know how well it will do with Chicks in the Date Movie category. I don't know how good it will be. We don't have a great reference point on how a movie of this genre will do.

Lots of questions.

When you look at the movies that have gotten up over $800M, they are pretty much all movies that cross quite a few audiance bases. Independence Day might be the only one that didn't, seeming to play to male kids, male teens and males in their 20s. That may seem like crossing, but it's not that massive of a cross.

With something like Pirates, you had those same male bases, but also could draw in some of the girl/women crowd via Kira and the two male leads. When I saw them, there were loads of girls/women in the crowd.

With Indy... I just don't know given how old Harrison is now.

The original Raiders... *that* would play to that big male 8-29 crowd, but also draw in males older than that... and Harrison had a bit of a leading male draw for vibe in that role, and good charisma with Karen Allen. Not exactly a massive cross over to women, but a decent enough date flick.

This one... I don't know.

It's also a long ways removed from the original ones. It should draw from people like me who were fans of #1 and #3. But how many times to we go back to see movies multiple times?

If it's a great movie... if it somehow plays like the original one... I could see it going past $800M.

John
eron

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This movie was everything I wanted it to be.

It was funny, fast paced, introduced some new elements and was a big adventure. Anyone who cannot see how the older movies had several unbelievable elements and ridiculous concepts that you had to shut your brain off about, and criticizes this film for doing the same, you never knew what was good about Indy in the first place.
Paul Jacobi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eron wrote:
This movie was everything I wanted it to be.

It was funny, fast paced, introduced some new elements and was a big adventure. Anyone who cannot see how the older movies had several unbelievable elements and ridiculous concepts that you had to shut your brain off about, and criticizes this film for doing the same, you never knew what was good about Indy in the first place.

This is a totally ridiculous argument. You can't just insulate the film from criticism like that. Yes there were unbelievable scenes in the three prior films, but nothing approaching ******SPOILERS COMING*******

Indy sealing himself in a refridgerator while a nuclear bomb goes off, getting tossed hundreds of feet and getting up without a scratch. People deride the raft scene in ToD, but we had that equivalent 3 staright times in KotCS with the waterfalls, and let's not even get started on Shia Labouf's Tarzan imitation. The villians were also terrible in this film, and we had the plot device of Indy being investigated by the FBI that was simply dropped out of nowhere. That's just lazy writing as was the double/triple agent character who was placed for/against Indy & co whenever the plot saw fit. I really wanted to like this film and came out realizing they should have quit while they were ahead. Instead they made the cash grab and succeeded. Good for them, but it doesn't mean the movie was any good.

-Paul Jacobi-
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Jacobi wrote:
Indy sealing himself in a refridgerator while a nuclear bomb goes off, getting tossed hundreds of feet and getting up without a scratch.

Actually enjoyed that. The Jones movies always have been a throwback to the old serials where the Star would come up with over the top ways to survive that don't withstand the "laugh test"... except that you're laughing at their "goofy inventiveness". I thought this specific one was their homage to the concept, sending up up in the most over-the-top fashion possible - a freaking Nuke. :)

Quote:
People deride the raft scene in ToD, but we had that equivalent 3 staright times in KotCS with the waterfalls, and let's not even get started on Shia Labouf's Tarzan imitation.

Waterfalls was kind of funny, except for the last one was a bit too over the top for even me.

Shiazan was also over the top. While there was some backstory to him being able to sword fight with Blanchet, I must have missed it for the Tarzan stuff. Did he drop a comment about Mom making him do gymnastics?

Quote:
The villians were also terrible in this film, and we had the plot device of Indy being investigated by the FBI that was simply dropped out of nowhere.

I agree that the villans were pretty mediocre.

Blanchet was disappointing. I sort of think the role could have used something more seductive like Nicole Kidman than the Iron Lady approach of Blanchet. She was trying... but I wish that she had been someone that Jones had "read about" in the field. In other words, someone whose pieces he'd admired in the past without ever having met, and is now surprised by how much she's lost it.

The rest of the Russians were pretty much Red Shirts.

Totally agree that the FBI thing went nowhere, with no payoff. It would have been vastly better if they were CIA. They mention that Indy was "Army", which would probably make him something like SIS (Signals Intelligence Service) since Indy seems sharp on element of cryptology / codebreaking in all these archological things. In turn, he could make a crack that "I never liked you guys even when you were OSS" to backstory it to WWII.

Then when Mac turns "double agent", it has some tie into the two agents.

Quote:
That's just lazy writing as was the double/triple agent character who was placed for/against Indy & co whenever the plot saw fit.

Totally agree. The 'Mac' character was mediocre, his double cross was blown off too early, his "double agent" period never believable (or that Indy would buy it of him), and his whole Greedy Bastard aspect down the stretch just wasn't any good even though it was his established character trait. It would have been simple to get across if he grabbed just *one* incredibily valuable archeological thing that he couldn't part with that ended up being his doom. Instead, he was a buffon.

What this really needed was at a very early stage for Indy to have *know* than he was CIA and/or a double crosser so that Indy was pulling a Jack Sparrow on him - always 1-2 steps ahead. Even when you think Mac has gotten ahead of Indy, Jones actually either thought ahead of him or on the fly could shift. I wouldn't do a ton of them... just an ongoing element of Mac's character and how Indy "knows him" after all these years. It would be a good contrast to how Indy *can't* read Blanchet's moves because he's only read what she's allowed to be published, not all of her thinking. In contrast, she has studied Jones for years.

They really could have done a great deal more with those two characters.

Quote:
I really wanted to like this film and came out realizing they should have quit while they were ahead. Instead they made the cash grab and succeeded. Good for them, but it doesn't mean the movie was any good.

Despite not thinking it was a "good" movie, I actually had a fun time watching it. A bit like watching Raw and SmackDown in the Stone Cold and Rock era. It was only "good" relative to Nitro or even worse wrestling TV (say DX in general). But it really wasn't well plotted, the laughs were pretty corny, strands would be dropped, and the acting wa third rate. But... it was watchable.

I expected Labouf to be worse. While not well cast for the role, I thought he was perfectly okay in an old school way where they would toss a pretty boy, popular young kid into a role like that. The exception would be the Tarzan stuff. But I really thought he would be just horrid, and he wasn't.

I thought Allen and Ford would be like watching paint dry with their bickering, but they actually did less of it than I thought. I was happy to see them back together, bringing some closure.

The whole Alien thing was over the top, but again this has always been an old Serial at heart, and of course they would run up against aliens at some point.

I guess since my expecations were so low that it was above that threshold and I didn't mind. Don't really want to see another, though. :)

Ranking them:

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark
2. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
3. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
4. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Really... you could watch Raiders and Last Crusade and skip the rest. But *if* you have to watch one of the other two, I'd take this one over Doom.

John
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, as of today:

Domestic: $300,819,519 42.1%
+ Foreign: $413,488,249 57.9%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

= Worldwide: $714,307,768

Think John is closer.--Yohe
corrado

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently certain people didn't seem to enjoy Indiana Jones IV.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2008/10/south-park-vs-l.html

Personally I didn't mind and thought it was a great episode.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the episode of South Park. The South Park guys have hated Lucas for years and, er, fucked him in the ass in several episodes. They may also have taken shots at Speilberg as well.

I thought the show did fit into how much they kick Lucas in the nuts. I was a little surprised by how graphic it was... I'm thinking those assholes at the MPAA would have slapped it with an NC-17 for the rape scenes. :)

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: