The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coming To A Bingo Hall Near You Soon: 'Nature Boy' Ric Flair
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kjh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:10 am    Post subject: Coming To A Bingo Hall Near You Soon: 'Nature Boy' Ric Flair Reply with quote

Flair's departure from WWE amicable, nostalgia convention circuit could be next.

Not sure this is a wise move for Flair in the long term, given that about 6 months ago he signed a contract extension guaranteeing him $500,000 per year.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ric is a nut. He pretty much has a job for life, especially if he could get his life and finances in order.

So Ric goes out on the nostalgia circuit. One wonders how many bookings a year over the next 3 years there will be, and how the math will add up.

John
kjh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meltzer reported several weeks ago that Flair was offered $10,000 per autograph signing from NWA promoters, who would sell tickets to 200 people for $100 a pop. So at that rate he'd need more than 50 bookings a year for the next two and a half years for his departure to pay off in the long run.
eron

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling that if Ric truly wants to whore himself out, he can certainly make more than $500k a year. However, he will have to do some serious whoring. Pull a Foley esque WM cheque every year, pull a few TNA cheques, some Japan cheques, one or two ROH cheques, he'll do just fine. Don't forget HUSTLE in Japan, where he can sing songs with Kawada for good money (I love HUSTLE).

If Flair ever has any serious money trouble, I bet he could pull out a Mil out of TNA just for a Sting/Flair match. Theres money marks galore (think about the cash Flair could get for making Hip Hop music video appearances) and getting out of the E just means he has more opportunities to grab them.
Fong

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure he can milk a few grand per speaking appearance, political rallies for Republican candidates, and the like. And don't forget the nice little checks he can pull out of RF and the likes for shoot interviews where he tells what he *really* thinks of Shawn, Hunter, and Vince.

Making close to 500K may not be a problem for a year or so. The problem lies in the years after that. If he still owes money to Beth, and if he's still addicted to being Naitch, this may become one epic trainwreck before it's all over.
kjh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eron wrote:
If Flair ever has any serious money trouble, I bet he could pull out a Mil out of TNA just for a Sting/Flair match.

So why haven't Hulk Hogan, Mick Foley, Bill Goldberg, Brock Lesnar, Chris Jericho and Bobby Lashley ever worked for TNA then? I know that the perception of the Carters is that they're money marks, but they've never overspent on talent to that extent.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kjh wrote:
Meltzer reported several weeks ago that Flair was offered $10,000 per autograph signing from NWA promoters, who would sell tickets to 200 people for $100 a pop. So at that rate he'd need more than 50 bookings a year for the next two and a half years for his departure to pay off in the long run.

There are only so many NWA promoters, and so many weekend shows for him to go to. And $10K this year, are those same promoters going to pay $10K next year?

No doubt there may be a payoff or two or three from TNA if he wasnted to go there. How much and how many? Who knows.

I just don't get walking away from a $500K guarantee, which almost certainly had additional money in it (appearance amounts, cuts from DVDs, etc).

If he was truly smart, he would have brainstormed (even with Madden) another book to pitch to Vince and the WWE, since the last one was one of the few strong sellers after the original run of books. I'm sure Madden could come up with a concept along the lines of Ric's Road Tales or something like that were Ric could Tell Great Stories rather than the attempt at bio that the last book was. He could even write a chapter that could be used to pitch the book, and Mark is smart enough to aim one at Vince that he would love. In other words, one putting Vince over or making one (or more) of Vince's look bad.

Stuff like that could add more money to the $500K.

But I suspect someone has Ric's ear that there's more money, and likely more egofuck, out there away from the WWE.

John
eron

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kjh wrote:
So why haven't Hulk Hogan, Mick Foley, Bill Goldberg, Brock Lesnar, Chris Jericho and Bobby Lashley ever worked for TNA then? I know that the perception of the Carters is that they're money marks, but they've never overspent on talent to that extent.

Hulk did a spot with TNA and got injured. Foley went with ROH instead for Indie cred. Goldberg was supposed to work with them and got signed by SpikeTV but didn't like their company. Brock is MMA period now and when he did wrestle, it was just for Inoki (maybe did a HUSTLE spot, can't remember). Jericho teased it but has said he is very loyal to Vince, which is why he didn't even do a HUSTLE run or anything (Which Foley and Goldberg have), and Bobby Lashley is rumoured to be doing a TNA run if his MMA work doesn't work out.

TNA spends $1M a year on Sting, who wrestles maybe a dozen matches and only appears for a 1/3rd of the year. Sting isn't Jeffy or Vince Russo's favourite, he's Dixie's favourite. Let Naitch take Dixie Carter to Space Mountain and I bet you he'd get a nice lump sum for it.
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hulk Hogan was one of those asking for a lot of money, plus I believe Vince Russo was around at that point and he wouldn't work for him.

I know Goldberg will never work with Russo again either.

Foley did have a TNA offer at one point, but took a WWE contract instead.
kjh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eron wrote:
TNA spends $1M a year on Sting, who wrestles maybe a dozen matches and only appears for a 1/3rd of the year. Sting isn't Jeffy or Vince Russo's favourite, he's Dixie's favourite. Let Naitch take Dixie Carter to Space Mountain and I bet you he'd get a nice lump sum for it.

I don't think TNA spends $1M a year on Sting, because I don't think he gets quite that much and Spike TV is supposed to pay half his salary for them (at least that was the deal when he first signed a long term contract with them). So no way is Flair getting that much for one match.

That said, I'm sure Flair could get a reasonably good deal if he went to TNA (say $5,000 to $10,000 per appearance), but really it's a moot point, because, as Flair wanted out, he probably had to agree to a lengthy no compete clause where he can't work for TNA for years. So when the money dries up on the indy circuit Flair will have no choice but to go back to WWE, cap in hand, begging for Vince's scraps.
Iron Chad

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hogan's messing with TNA was just to get a good deal back with WWE, which he got. Hogan never actually set foot in Nashville or Orlando, the TNA angle he shot with Jarrett was in Japan after his big payday match with Chono (Hogan never went back to Japan either, damn trick knee, that always seemed to work when Vince was ready to pony up $$$).

Unless Flair is willing to whore out to TNA for under $10K per appearance, TNA would probably have to have Spike underwrite some of the cost to get Flair. Flair would probably have to wrestle to earn more than just a few grand here and there. I don't see Flair and Sting being able to draw much of a buyrate, especially with UFC being such a big PPV player alongside WWE. Even if Flair and Sting could pop one good buyrate, you could virtually guarantee a fall to TNA's previous level or below as with every new big thing TNA has presented.

I guess with Stacy being a free agent as well, we could get Russo to book the end of the whole Ric/Stacy/David mess in TNA.

Is there anyone left with any money in Japan that would hire Flair for more than one shot or two? Without being a world champ, what value would he have to NOAH, on an undercard six-man with Taue and Mushiking Terry (I can't even remember if he's still in NOAH, but fill in the blank with appropriate NOAH midcarded) Lastly, without being a world champ, what value would Flair have in Japan anyway? I'm not thinking much, and I'm unsure what a HUSTLE gig pays anyway these days with PRIDE's mob-money, er, previous financial backing behind it.

-Chad
eron

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kjh wrote:
but really it's a moot point, because, as Flair wanted out, he probably had to agree to a lengthy no compete clause where he can't work for TNA for years. So when the money dries up on the indy circuit Flair will have no choice but to go back to WWE, cap in hand, begging for Vince's scraps.

90 days like everyone else. You can't force someone to more (or the WWE would do it).
kjh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 90 days deal is for people who WWE fired, not major stars who wanted out of their long term deals. They forced Brock Lesnar to sign a ridiculously long and restrictive no compete clause. Maybe they've learnt their lesson after losing the subsequent court case with Lesnar, but we really don't know. Who knows if WWE would have forced the issue with Lashley, if Lashley didn't have major dirt on the company with how they treated his girlfriend Kristal Marshall?
Iron Chad

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Flair doesn't want to be burdened by a $500K/year salary since his wife of two years just filed for divorce. Good thing WWE didn't really push his last DVD either as those royalties were marital property (I started doing divorces again after 9 years of avoiding them like the plague, I'd love to have a kinda rich and bad-behaving client like Ric, I'd have the house paid off in a year). Weird and sad, somebody needs to wake Ric up and tell him 1983 was 25 years ago.

-Chad
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention I'm sure Beth is still getting something from Ric after they divorced.

Any word on what ultimately happened with Reid's brush with the law? I had thought for sure he'd be the one wanting to follow in his dad's footsteps, especially after David has gotten out of the business (and some might say, good for him when you consider he certainly would have to take massive amounts of juice to make it WWE... not that he wasn't doing it while in OVW, as pictures clearly show he was taking something).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Wrestling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 1 of 19

Jump to: