The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Verne Gagne Collection
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
khawk20

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still need to finish 1981+ for Verne. I never have put this set out there for public consumption...I'll probably do it one day when it's done-done but also when I have time to copy it a bunch of times.

I've never released the Mad Dog Vachon career set I did either, partly because I keep tweaking it with new footage. I've given some copies out to friends here and there for review purposes.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What were they thinking with Chris Taylor? Was he going to be the AWA's ugly (well uglier) version of Andre? Do you thing Verne was going to give him the title someday? I know his first match was on Wild World of Sports & there was great P.R., but how far could they push him. No AWA fan talks about the loss of Taylor (he died at 29) today like NWA fans do about Magium TA. Just wondering?----Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did Mad Dog have good matches? I've never seen one.--Yohe
khawk20

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always liked Mad Dog a ton. I'd recommend his Grand Prix matches against Andre and Carpentier for starters. I also enjoyed his Death match with Jerry Blackwell from 1983 a lot (this was the match that they built towards with Mad Dog and Okerlunds Pine Box promo, which if you haven't ever seen is absolutely must-view material). his two title challenges against Bockwinkel at the end of 1983 are fun, too. there's some good violent clips from his IWE tours in 1975-76 that are worth seeing, like his brawl vs. Gypsy Joe and his title win over IIRC Mighty Inoue.

Mad Dog was basically the same character as both a face and a heel, the only thing that changed were who he was wrestling.

Regarding Chris Taylor, I think Verne saw him as "the next big thing", because of both his size and his real amateur credentials. I don't know the specifics on Taylor petering out as a wrestler but it could have been a lot of things..how he was as a talker, how much he progressed off of his rookie year, taylor's own interest in wrestling as a pro, health issues...I don't know for sure.

AWA fans I talk to don't ever speak of him as a "what could have been" kind of guy, though.

I have an interview clip from AWA TV a few days after Taylor's death where Billy Robinson comes out and says a few words about him, you can tell he was pretty devestated by the loss. Billy even yells at the guy off camera signalling him that his time was almost up, basically telling him he better not get cut off while speaking about Taylor. If he had Robinson's respect at that level that tells me something.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Gagne/Bruiser match from the 50's being sold at the Chicago Film Archives that is 2/3 falls & very good. Maybe the best I've seen of Bruiser. It has no date yet. I have it on DVD but can't make copies & I don't know how anyway. $50 is a lot but our gang payed a ton more to get it in workable order.

They slao have the complete Carpentier/Thesz match and the first Rogers/Thesz match from Wrighly Field. Both are major. See Ken's post.--Yohe
khawk20

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
There is a Gagne/Bruiser match from the 50's being sold at the Chicago Film Archives that is 2/3 falls & very good. Maybe the best I've seen of Bruiser. It has no date yet. I have it on DVD but can't make copies & I don't know how anyway. $50 is a lot but our gang payed a ton more to get it in workable order.

They slao have the complete Carpentier/Thesz match and the first Rogers/Thesz match from Wrighly Field. Both are major. See Ken's post.--Yohe

There has been a Bruiser-Verne Chicago matchup available for some time, as I remember it is also 2/3 falls...is it possibly the same match?
khawk20

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Verne passed last night at the age of 89.

RIP. Verne created the wrestling world that myself and millions of others grew up watching.

Sad day for us as fans but given his illness I'm relieved his (and his families) suffering is done.

RIP and thanks for the memories.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with your sentiments, Kevin.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take back the comment about Mad Dog. There was a very early match that I thought he was good in. He was a lot like Fred Blassie.

I sat around with Dog when he was playing cards with Beyer. Seemed normal. Dick beat him.

You know I liked Verne a lot. He was very easy to talk to. Like an uncle or something. I have good feeling about him.

I think I'm the only guy who didn't like Roddy Piper.I was around him but never talked to him. Maybe because he was from the 80's. I wonder if he is going to have an enlarged heart. He was juiced a lot.---Yohe
khawk20

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last guy I would have guessed was on the juice since he always seemed about the same size to me.

Dying at 61 in your sleep does set off alarm bells, though. You automatically suspect something wasn't right.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piper was part of the Zahorian trial. It's long been known he juiced in the 80s, especially relative to his skinny 70s body.

Quote:
On Monday, June 24, the trial of Dr. George Zahorian began in a small Harrisburg courtroom overrun by reporters. Smith called just nine witnesses, among them Piper, who seemed to have stayed up late the night before because, much to Smith's aggravation, he had a hard time focusing. Fortunately, Smith only needed him on the stand for fifteen minutes, just long enough for this exchange:

"Did you have occasion to call Dr. Zahorian on March 23 of 1990 and ask him for anabolic steroids?"

"Yes," Piper replied. "I did."

"And what did you ask him for?"

"I asked him for some Winstrol, and I believe some Deca-Durabolin, and I'm not sure, maybe an anti-inflammatory, too."

"Did you receive the anabolic steroids you ordered from Dr. Zahorian in California?"

In a low voice, Piper answered. "Yes, sir."

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/assael/020730.html

I believe there might have been talk that he was juiced in the 90s in WCW, as a lot of the old timers like Hogan and Savage were in trying to maintain a look relative to the younger guys. Piper might have been in that talk. Been close to 20 years, so I don't recall *all* the snaky comments by Dave & Co. :)
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he was one of the first users and in LA he was skinny. Everyone in the 80's was juiced. In the 90's I was always asking the question: Is there anyone in pro wrestling not on drugs of some type. I asked Dave. I did it at the CAC club. The only answer I got was Jerry Lawler and some fools said Lex Luger & Sting. Guess Liz turned Lex on.....I mean to drugs.

Around 1999, I thing it was in LA, Piper was at the CAC dinner...and he got up, being the big shot, & said he loved the club so much, that he was going to give 20% of all his future wrestling money to the CAC. I almost choked on my steak I was laughing so hard. A couple of years ago, I asked Carl and others at the club what they did with all that Roddy Piper money...and none would say anything. They didn't want me to talk about it. Sometime I get carried away & think I'm talking with John.---Steve Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Eighties All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: