The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Wrestler
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
corrado

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: The Wrestler Reply with quote

The highly-anticpated movie "The Wrestler" opened this week in NY and LA. Here's the trailer:

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/the-wrestler/trailer

And here are the glowing reviews for this movie:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_wrestler/

I'm hoping if the film is amazing, that it gets awards it so richly deserves.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder when this opens in the DC/NVA/BAL area... ;)

John
Jeremy Billones

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick Foley on The Wrestler in Slate

Mick Foley on The Wrestler in New York Magazine
eron

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy Billones wrote:
Mick Foley on The Wrestler in Slate

Mick Foley on The Wrestler in New York Magazine

So what's keeping you busy these days?
Mick Foley: No mention of TNA.

Great interviews and a great review by Mick. I thought the mention in the New York Magazine about the tights was something a guy like Necro would have mentioned t Darren. Wrestlers almost never toss the tights out. They cost a lot of money. I've seen guys wear tights with blood stains dried in them. You just don't toss them unless you're in the WWE and they are designed for you.

Here's my question: Would Joker be nominated for Best Actor or Best Supporting Actor? If its Best Actor, he may not win it with Rouke getting huge reviews, not to mention Frank Langella in Frost/Nixon. Best Support he'd get it in a minute.
Jeremy Billones

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eron wrote:
So what's keeping you busy these days?

Both links were on the ticker at Movie City News. I actually don't care about the film :)

Quote:
Here's my question: Would Joker be nominated for Best Actor or Best Supporting Actor? If its Best Actor, he may not win it with Rouke getting huge reviews, not to mention Frank Langella in Frost/Nixon. Best Support he'd get it in a minute.

He's gotten Best Supporting from 19 different city Film Critic awards, and a Best Supporting nom for the Golden Globes. I don't think there's a debate there.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw THE WRESTLER tonight. Did't like it. The handheld camera shots made me sick. The sport is depressing enough live....I don't need it in a movie and I don't feel sorry for the people in it and they are not interesting in any way.**--Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For WRESTLER 2 they can do the Kerry Von Erich story. A crazy true story would probably score big with non-fans & Texas fans.--Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the Kevin story - the brother who survived. ;)

John
corrado

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the latest scuttlebutt has Vince McMahon doing a 180 about the Wrestler (he was said to have disliked the movie) and now is planning to have Mickey Rourke appear at Wrestlemania and face Chris Jericho in a wrestling match, presumably.

While this screams of Trainwreck, the thought of Jericho owning Rourke with promos about how he always manages to fuck things up, sounds like a winner.

I just hope this doesn't end Mickey Rourke's amazing comeback. He has some big projects slated and if Hollywood puts its foot down about it and denounces it, there might be a glimmer of Rourke's comeback ending. Provided of course that he doesnt win the Oscar. Which after Sean Penn winning the SAG award a few days ago, may not be a slam dunk anymore.
kjh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see Mickey winning the Oscar now, unless all the votes have already been cast. I don't see voters taking too kindly to one of the nominees cashing in on their nomination by doing a wrestling match.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this at WC & everyone hated it. Blue Meanie (ECW..ECW..ECW) insulted me & called me a broken record.

Major spoiler alert
Going to this movie, I wondered how you could get drama out of a worked sport. Were they going to pretend it was a shoot or pull something out of a hat to give it a rocky type finish. Or was it just some type of reality film with a depressing end.

As they wrote the thing...what could they do:

Have the guy complete the winning match, even tho he's sick, and go meet his girl & walk off into the sunset. That wouldn't work & people would be turned off.

He could win the match but the lover leaves. Weak.

He dives off the top rope, wins his last match but dies in the ring. You going to show that? Kind of sick way to kill off the main character.

So what did they do? They coped out & just went to black as he came off the top rope. Even hinting that he was going to die, they just left it up to the watcher to make up an ending. Seem gutless not to make up some type of a finish.

They didn't have a ending. The guy was a helpless loser...what ever happen to him it was depressing...and I don't care about a loser wrestler, juiced, drugged and so lost he dates topless dancers from a local bar and lives in a trailer park. Screwed up pro wrestlers today are a time a dozen and they have one or another dying every other day. They're locked up in some fantasy world and can't think like a normal person, who is without tattoos & piercing but has a real job. This movie puts them on the same level as whores, with the true villains being the fans who keep drawing these misfits back to the ring for more punishment.

If you made a movie, like a million others, where the loser pulls himself up & makes something out of himself...OK that could be interesting. But this loser can't figure out anything and his big moment is a death scene...I think..if that's what happened...so I'm not interested in it. There is nothing interesting or dramatic in watching a loser's life fall apart.

Today's wrestlers just aren't interesting to me..and I've been around them and they're dressing rooms. I judge them like I would judge a normal person, not lost in a fantasy world. They're idea of morality needs work.

So I didn't like the movie.---Steve Yohe
Iron Chad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon Steve, everyone knows that the fade to black finish/non-finish is *brilliant*! It went over so well when The Sopranos did it.

-Chad
corrado

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warning: This post contains a few spoilers. Don't read if you dont' want to be spoiled.

This was a great film. Rourke deserves the Oscar. Maybe Tomei too.

It was fun seeing who I recongized from wrestling like Rtruth, Nigel McGuniess, The Blue Meanie, and of course the Cat. I hope the Cat gets more gigs soon. He was good in the dying days of WCW. Also, it was odd seeing Frank from 30 Rock without a trucker hat and glasses. That was enjoyable too.

The plotting of the spots for the first two matches got a few chuckles from the audience. Though that wasn't funny but merely exposing the business. I dont think anyone who doesnt follow wrestling will understand what blading is or "going home." There were a few laughs though like the deli counter scenes and the scene at the dollar store.

The one bit I could do without in the film was the daughter Stephanie being a lesbian. That was unecessart. Also Even Rachel Wood is a horrible actress.

I dont have any qualms about the ending. I assumed what happened was he died. Nothing more.

So this was a 4.75/5 star affair.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"C'mon Steve, everyone knows that the fade to black finish/non-finish is *brilliant*! It went over so well when The Sopranos did it. "

I have watched very little of the Sopranos & I'm not a fan, but I was interested in how they would finish it. I was eating at a place with a TV playing & I watched a few minutes of it but had to leave....thinking gee I'll have check it out later. Turns out what I watched was the ending of the show & I didn't know it.

It interests me....does anyone respect the Rourke character in this film? Seems the story is a guy destroying his life for some fantacy. I would think that the only people who could sympathize with him, would be guys locked up in the same screwed up wrestling fantacy. Does anyone think The wrestler is a good person?--Yohe
eron

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Yohe wrote:
The guy was a helpless loser...what ever happen to him it was depressing...and I don't care about a loser wrestler, juiced, drugged and so lost he dates topless dancers from a local bar and lives in a trailer park. Screwed up pro wrestlers today are a time a dozen and they have one or another dying every other day. They're locked up in some fantasy world and can't think like a normal person, who is without tattoos & piercing but has a real job.

You don't care because you've been around it for so long, there's no magic or tragedy there for you. It's commonplace.

To someone who hasn't followed wrestling as long, or does not spend time behind the scenes in any level, and only knows the wrestler through dirt sheets and what they see on TV, or the viewers who care very little about wrestling, it was a revelation. Not only that, but the person he is isn't a heavily talked about persona. When people think of wrestling, they don't think about the tragedies (aside from Chris Benoit), they think of the success stories. People don't talk about Ric Flair dragging his name into the dirt appearing in a videogame and being beaten up by a guy in a bear suit (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXZM_lX47Mo) or having next to no money after one of the longest wrestling careers, they talk about being a 16 Time Champ and being one of the greatest Wrestlers ever. Even the athletes are covered in smoke and mirrors.

Steve Yohe wrote:
This movie puts them on the same level as whores, with the true villains being the fans who keep drawing these misfits back to the ring for more punishment.

I think that is, in some way, the point. Hence why the stripper was his companion in the story. Guys like who Rourke is portraying are whores, but they are beloved whores because they do it for the audience. Nobody wants to hear about how Leon White has made a solid career for himself outside of pro wrestling and despite being a big man, will still live a good life. They want to hear about the tragedies. The whores who keep going back for their fix. And in Hollywood, this has been a common theme for a very long time.

Blow never had a happy ending, but Blow is still a phenomenal movie. You don't need a happy ending. You don't even need a sad ending. The truth is, characters like Rourke, like you said, are a dime a dozen. The story never really ends.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: