The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Wrestler
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kjh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warning: Some spoilers in this post.

I saw The Wrestler yesterday and enjoyed it a lot. I think they did a good job of interspersing humour to balance out the more depressing parts of the movie. That said, at times the movie felt more like a laundry list of spots they wanted to hit on than a fully cohesive narrative.

I agree with Steve that the fade to black ending didn't really work. I didn't mind it personally, but I got the sense that most people left feeling "is that it, is that the end of the movie". I don't think that the ending worked for a casual, non-wrestling fan audience and they wanted more of a payoff at the end.

I'm the opposite of Steve in the sense that I've heard so many stories of horrendous drug addiction in wrestling that Randy The Ram's story pales in comparison. Didn't get the sense he was a junkie, which is what most wrestling tragedies are, just doing what he had to do to keep wrestling. Maybe you could call him a junkie, because he was addicted to the buzz he got from wrestling, so much so that he chose that quick fix at the risk of dying over the opportunity to have the relationship he wanted with the woman he had desired for so long, but he wasn't a drug junkie.
kjh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lance Storm's one wrestler whose not a fan of The Wrestler.

Mickey Rourke steals the show at the Bafta awards like he did at the Golden Globes.
El-P

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally saw it. First off, I was surprised how un-seductive and rugged the movie is. For the first few minute, you could swear you're watching a Dardennes brothers movie, complete with the main character being shot from the back like in Le Fils. Everything is very low-key, which is both surprising coming from Aronosfky and a good thing. The wrestling scene are very well shot. I could have done without the hardcore match, which goes a little to far, but I understand why this was chosen to illustrate the point. It's truly the story of a man who just doesn't know how to live. And the only place he knows only exist in the past, as the present just isn't doing him any favours. It's really very true of what the essence of wrestling is and how these guys have all the trouble in the world quiting their fictitious world for the real life. Yes, Randy the Ram is a fuck up, but the director has a tender look at him, neither a look of pity nor judgement. It's very ironicall that he's actually talking about Cobain, when in the end he'll do the exact same thing that Cobain did because he just doesn't know how to deal with his life. The way these people are pretty much only existing through what they project through their body finds a good comparison with Marisa Tomei's character. Wrestlers, like strippers, offer their body to their audience. The difference is, Marisa is not the stripper, she says she's a mom, while Randy the Ram canno't handle the fact to be Robin. In the end that's what will kill him. The ending works on many level, mostly because there's really no need to show what will happen. It would have been complacent and useless. Everything has been said once Marisa has left. The way the Ram's body just disapears from the frame is sufficient and tells everything about the business : once you're body isn't in front of the audience, you don't exist anymore, you're dead.
Of course it's also a great documentary about Rourke himself, the star of the 80's that fucked it up and had his body destroyed.
Very good movie. Extremely dark and with a very fair look at wrestling.
El-P

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand why Lance Storm disliked it, but his review is kinda embarrassing and simplistic.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been sending messages back & forth with Charlie Thesz (wife of Lou), and she was asking for thoughts on THE WRESTLER because some movie person was buging her about a Lou movie. I show her my posts. She then saw the movie, agreed with me & told the movie company to forget it.

There's a Mexican guy at work selling WRESTLER DVDs for $6.

Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: