The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dirk Benedict goes batshit over New Battlestar Galactica

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Dirk Benedict goes batshit over New Battlestar Galactica Reply with quote

I know I should put this in the Conservative Idiots the in Evil Politics, but since some people (wisely) avoid that forum, it needs to go here to be read.

Dirk Benedict: Lt. Starbuck... Lost In Castration

As Atrios points out, the comments section is rich bonus material. You have the wingnuts patting Dirk on the back. You have the New BG fans running in to point out that Old BG sucked donkey dick as a Star Wars cash-in/rip-off. And you have Evil Liberals just laughing at Dirk.

Thanks to atrios for linking to this. Awesome stuff. :)

John
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benedict's column was an interesting read, and while he tends to miss some points on what is going on with some writers and directors in Hollywood, he is correct that marketing is what it comes down to. The irony about marketing, of course, is that it can be applied to any business whatsoever, and Benedict acknowledges that. Hollywood, of course, is the liberal folks while McDonalds and Coca-Cola are part of conservative corporate America.

Benedict, in a way, acknowledges the original BG was poorly written when he says Starbuck was essentially the same as Face from A-Team (another poorly written show... and yes, I watched it as a kid, but the show has NOT aged well at all), but I think his point is that people, at heart, want to see the struggle between good and evil.

What has changed is that writers and directors can't simply slap a label on one side or the other and declare "it is what it is because we told you so." People today want deeper explanations for one side or the other.

And while it's true that much of what gets tossed about are "moral codes," the same rule that applied back then applies today: Poor writing is poor writing, so you better do a good job of explaining things or it won't work.

But that being said, good vs. evil can still work. In The Dark Knight, it's clear Joker is evil... his actions are explained but he IS evil at heart. Batman, at heart, is good, but he's also conflicted and his methods are those some might question. But at heart, he is the good guy.

We've seen it all the time in pro wrestling as well. Good versus evil still sells, it's just the way good and evil are presented has changed. But it still requires proper writing to get it across.

Leaving things where people decide for themselves who is ultimately good and who is ultimately evil tend to lead to poor writing more often than not, because you are then worried more about "balance" than you are about figuring out a character, deciding where the character stands, then figuring out why the character stands that way and if there are ever any conflicts the character with how he goes about with what he stands.

I will add one other thing: Benedict is absolutely correct that Hollywood's tendency to repackage older shows and movies as newer versions does show less of a willingness to take risks. Presenting a movie based on the poorly-written A-Team TV series does not excite me and I fully expect the A-Team movie to be poorly written as well... or if it is well written, to fade into obscurity just like other "movies based on TV series" that were considered well written when they came out but quickly got lost in the shuffle because they really weren't anything special.

The original Pirates of the Carribbean is always going to be held in higher regard than the remake of Starsky and Hutch, even though the latter tended to get positive reviews.
eron

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Morris wrote:
Benedict, in a way, acknowledges the original BG was poorly written when he says Starbuck was essentially the same as Face from A-Team (another poorly written show... and yes, I watched it as a kid, but the show has NOT aged well at all), but I think his point is that people, at heart, want to see the struggle between good and evil.

I hate Starbuck in the new show. I know she is a popular character, but fuck I can't stand her. Any episode I watched, I was hoping she'd die or end up being a Cylon show she'd get murdered. I haven't watched since the First Season and "TV Movie" episodes, so maybe I got my wish. Edward James Olmos is still awesome.

I agree with the struggle between good and evil. It doesn't matter what level it is, or even if what is defined as "good" to one could be "evil" to another. We want someone to root for, and someone to root against. It's almost human nature, but I don't want to get into THAT discussion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: