The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2009 Oscar Nominations
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
corrado

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: 2009 Oscar Nominations Reply with quote

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/nominations-for-81st-academy-awards-this-am/

Lots of shocking things this year. For one thing, aside from the obligatory Heath Ledger nomination, Dark Knight was shut out of the major categories. Like Best Picture and Best Director. There was talk all year long of Dark Knight being up for Best Picture, but I guess the voters sadly didnt see it that way.

Among other big snubs was Clint Eastwood for Gran Torino. That got lots of raves as well. And Pixar's Wall-E was also left out of the Best Picture category. It of course is still up for Best Animated Feature which it should easily win.

As for Best Picture, I would say Slumdog Millionaire will win. That's been a critical darling and I don't see any of the other films nominated for that category winning Best Picture.

And of course I'm rooting for Mickey Rourke to win best actor. I still haven't seen the Wrestler yet, to determine if that was snubbed as well for Best Picture. Come to think Bruce didn't get nominated for Best song. Another possible snub there.
Jeremy Billones

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wall-E was, by a landslide, considered a best movie of the year by critics.

The 2008 Top Tens

Out of 286 Top Ten lists, Wall-E was listed on the most (162, Dark Knight
second with 134) and rated the highest (1082.5 score, Dark Knight second
with 935). But David Poland noted that Disney hadn't spent a dime of
advertising pushing for a Best Picture nomination, so there would be
widespread consensus that they didn't want one.

On this toteboard, the five nominees were 3, 4, 6, 10 and 32 (The
Reader
). That was also the only film not pegged by the Gurus of
Gold panel as a nominee (it appears that all sixteen of their panelists
had the same five films in different orders, picking Dark Knight over
The Reader)
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lack of nominee for The Dark Night is a little strange.

John
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Oscar TV show really needed a nomination for THE DARK NIGHT. The public is fed up. Last year none of the nominations play in our local theater in Montebello. The general public are going to start turning off the show.

I didn't see any great films this year. It's a weak year. There would have been no injustice in nominating Clint & DARK KNIGHT. The Batman film was a very good movie that the public supported. As they got it set up now, it's going to be a boring show. Hope the dresses are good.--Yohe
Rian

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, Batman was very overrated, plus it's ironic that both Clint and Batman were left off with Christian Bale failing miserably doing his best Clint impression while portraying Batman.

Going to see Grand Turino this weekend, heard it's supposed to be good.
eron

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rian wrote:
Meh, Batman was very overrated, plus it's ironic that both Clint and Batman were left off with Christian Bale failing miserably doing his best Clint impression while portraying Batman.

It was a very good movie, and arguably the best Superhero movie, and nominating it could have meant much stronger ratings than nominating... The Reader.

Synecdoche, New York not getting nominated disappoints both me and likely Roger Ebert.
Rian

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eron wrote:
Rian wrote:

It was a very good movie, and arguably the best Superhero movie.

That's not really saying much.
eron

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rian wrote:
That's not really saying much.

Of course not, but looking at the money it made, it said something for the people who went.

Not nominating it and nominating Titanic makes me go... really.
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The folks who do the nominating for the Academy Awards won't nominate a movie based on a comic book superhero. Sorry, but it's the truth. Doesn't matter how revered it is by the public, they just don't care about those movies.

Exception: When it comes to the less glamorous awards.

We all know that Heath Ledger getting the nomination is because he passed away. Again, sorry, but it's the truth. Same thing with how they threw a bone to Robert Downey Jr. for his comeback, but if they really wanted to nominate him for something, it should have been for Best Actor. Seriously, Downey was tremendous in Iron Man... but as I said, that's a comic book hero movie, so they went the supposedly "safer" route, even though Pineapple Express is a comedy and those tend to get snubbed by the Academy as well.

Same thing with Wall-E. The Academy figures there is already a best animated movie category, so no need to nominate it for best film.

I'm not saying Dark Knight or Wall-E should be best film, nor am I saying Downey should be best actor. But Downey deserved a best actor nomination at least, and when it comes to Dark Knight, Chris Nolan should have been nominated for best director.

But the Academy has a built in bias toward straightforward dramas, so what can you do.
corrado

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oscar winners are here (winners in bold):

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/live-snarking-the-2009-academy-awards/

Pretty much the only unpredictable news item here was Sean Penn winning, instead of Mickey Rourke who should have won. Its a shame too because that would've been a great story of Rourke coming back from the ashes. But they chose to "play it safe". I'm guessing if Rourke does appear at Mania, it lost quite a bit of luster. Because "Oscar winner" has more zing than "Oscar nominee"

Rest of the winners was predictable. No shocks. You knew Slumdog would win. You knew Heath was going to win. You knew Wall-E was going to win Best Animated film.

Also based on the actual ceremony, I'm glad I didn't tune in. I preferred watching the dark Knight again.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why Penn winning is a massive upset. It was 50-50.

Penn won the SAG Award. The SAG is one of the decent predictors. Coming into this year, 10 of 14 SAG winners took home the Oscar. One of the four who didn't win wasn't nominated for Best Actor - Benicio del Toro in Traffic. Instead, he was nominated for Best Supporting Actor... and won. So in a sense, 11 of 14 went on to win the Oscar.

In the same period, the Golden Globe drama winner (which Mickey won), has only gone on to take the Oscar in 7 of 14 years.

I really think people misread the tealeaves in thinking Mickey was the favorite. It was at best 50-50. It's Hollywood, SAG makes up a massive part of the Academy, Prop 8, Penn is very much loved in Hollywood while Mickey long has been a troubled prick... a lot of stuff titled towards Penn to balance out the Great Comeback Story of Mickey.

John
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rourke never had a chance. Penn was the better actor in a better role.

Slumdog didn't do much for me. I would have voted for THE READER. In the years to come I think Slumdog will be forgotten but then none of the films were classics. But I have no bitch with Slumdog. Can't bitch about anything.

I enjoyed the show. Everything was great. Thought it was going to stink.

Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bitch about The Dark Knight not getting a nomination.

It's a bit odd that a true box off blockbuster hasn't gotten nominated for Best Picture since the three Lord of the Rings movies were from 2001-2003. There have been a number of movies like Chicago (2002) that did big box office where the nomination and award had a lot to do with it. But the LOTR movies were blockbusters from opening day.

My point: the LOTR movies *we not* unique. It happened all the time up to that point:

2003: Return of the King
2002: Two Towers
2001: Fellowship of the Ring
2000: Galdiator
1999: The Sixth Sense
1998: Saving Private Ryan
1997: Titanic
1996: Jerry Maguire
1995: Apollo 13
1994: Forrest Gump
1993: The Fugitive
1992: A Few Good Men
1991: Beauty and the Beast / The Silence of the Lambs
1990: Dances with Wolves / Ghost

You have to go back to 1989 when Driving Miss Daisy was the #8 movie released in 1989, just cracking $100M and doing all its damage after the nominations came out. Dead Poets Society that year was #10, which surprises me since I thought it was a bigger hit.

But that's a long, 14 year of at least one Blockbuster getting nominated. I probable left from off, since I really wasn't paying attention to double down until those two in 1990 and 1991.

Going back from there you'll find tons of other blockbusters. Even something like Fatal Attraction got nominated in 1987.

It just stopped after 2003.

One would have thought this was the year, given the strong reviews that TDK pulled in as well as all the cash.

I wonder how close it came to the 5th spot.

John
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the old style voters, who vote for whatever their movie studio told them to, died. And what's left are voters who are interested in art & what they think is good acting. Its changed.--Yohe
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Steve said... and what I've previously said about comic book superhero movies never getting a nomination.

Even if Dark Knight had not one person say it wasn't a good movie (and a few have), it still would have gotten no major nominations other than Ledger (and that came purely out of sympathy, not because of his performance).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: