The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WATCHMEN

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:43 am    Post subject: WATCHMEN Reply with quote

Saw WATCHMEN tonight & I thought it was a great movie. Didn't read the comic because I didn't like the art & was fed up with superhero's, so I can't compare that with the movie. Well made in every way. Liked all the actors. Every frame was interesting...a thinkers film.

Can't see it making a ton of money. It's R rated & the public might reject it for a ton of reasons. Serious stuff. One of the heros is god. If it makes it to 100, I'll be surprised. Could be a better film in some ways than DARK KNIGHT.****1/8 I did see a plot hole.---Steve Yohe
eron

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's getting me excited for the simple fact that there are tons of good and tons of bad reviews. I guess hardcore fans hate it, and since I'm more a "softcore fan" as I read the comic and liked the series but wasn't super crazy for it (I thought the V for Vendetta movie being less anarchistic than the comic improved it) I'll still really enjoy it.
CTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, first shock of the day was that Steve liked this - would've thought otherwise. Then again, the movie & story would play well to anyone 'fed up with superheroes', since it's the most famous deconstruction of them.

If anything, this is the biggest fanboy movie ever made - the script is a nearly verbatim reworking of the graphic novel, with only 3 notable omissions. Even the wealth of secondary material one finds in the GN, typically revealed as excerpts from a book titled "Under the Hood", make their way into the film in a few tiny flashbacks as well as the absolutely masterful opening titles. The soundtrack is pitch-perfect - I wonder how many will appreciate the placement of 99 Luftballoons during this film (I was the only one in my show who laughed at that) - and although the actors are mostly small-timers, they all do an admirable job with their roles.

But I think people who don't know the source material and don't appreciate the layers to it will largely fail to appreciate the movie. The CGI is the one big problem I had with it - it's not quite up to snuff, but that could also be a product of our mind's acute ability to analyze the human face. The movie is graphic, sexual, and violent (as intended), and it's also not much fun (also as intended), and some people won't want this to be so damn bleak. A lot of people last night were laughing every time Billy Crudup's blue penis swung to and fro, but I don't think I could hold that against Snyder & Co.; failing to take the movie seriously over a thing like that is akin to seeing Sasquatch walk through your front yard and having no greater response than saying that he needs to shave his back.

This is clearly better than TDK as an adaptation - this still has that splash of color and vibrance, a sense of little-kid awe that TDK put aside in favor of realism. I also think that, even though it's longer, it doesn't quite throw as much at you as quickly - the direction of the film is rather focused instead of jerking you one place after another, like TDK does. But I don't think it's a better movie (not that I thought TDK was a Best Picture nominee for last year anyway). It does leave you thinking, though, and that's a "tall order" for "just a comic book movie".
Kevin Tyler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang. The two of you have now got my expectations high. I was going in with uber-low ones since I didn't think the film would translate from the source well. Maybe I'll have to go see it tonight rather than waiting until next weekend.
corrado

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very mixed bag.

Positives:

Rorshach was by far the best part of the movie. And not just because of the BATMAN VOICE. The scene with him in prison and taking care of business there was the best part of the movie.

The Comedian was also great too. The beginning with his death scene and him opening up to Max Headroom were very good scenes.

The use of music was fine. Save for the prison scene when they used a fairly modern song. Yeah Halleujah being used in the sex scene was funny. And "Unforgettable" in the beginning was great.

The opening credits. Veldt in Studio 54 was funny.

The swerve of Veldt being in on the Comedian murder and everything else. I didnt see that coming.

Negatives: Silk Spectre II was awful. Maybe I wouldn't minded if an actress of greater talent was used.

Night Owl was very boring to me. He seemed the most normal of the bunch

I really didn't care for Silk and Night Owl getting a rush to fight crime. Like rescuing all those people from the fire.

"The Comedian is your father." The way that was said was laughable. That whole aspect of that with Jupiter and Comedian was pretty bad.

Dr Manhattan bored me a lot. And they could've toned down his backstory a bit. His scenes with silk were very bad.

Lots of parts of the ending. The way Rorshach died. "Forgive Me Girl". I could go on.

In the Middle:

I actually didnt mind Veldt that much. He wasn't on much to garner a negative opinion.

So basically a disappointment. I would recommend seeing Sin City again before this film.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Rorshach was by far the best part of the movie. "

I agree. --Yohe
eron

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

corrado wrote:
Night Owl was very boring to me. He seemed the most normal of the bunch.

Don't mean to be a fanboy, but that was the point of the character.

As for Rorshach, its nice to see people loving him. He is a very powerful character, and unlike that godawful Boondock Saints, you can really buy into his cause. There are no shades of grey with him and he has no issue breaking a few fingers to accomplish his goals. Through another person's glasses, he could be a villain.
CTC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that's just it with Rorschach - he is as morally ambiguous as everyone else, but believes he operates in a way that's well-defined. What are some of the first things he says? "...all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!" and I'll look down and whisper, "No"." And yet by the end of the movie, he'd rather those same people weren't duped. He says he follows in the footsteps of "good men, like (his) father", who "believed in a day's work for a day's pay." As far as Rorschach knows, his father spent a day's pay impregnating his prostitute of a mother. And all the while, how is Rorschach spending his days? He's carting around a sign that says "The End Is Near" instead of working (though I suppose, in his mind, stalking Dan and Moloch constitutes 'work').

Rorschach is certainly not a hero. But he also isn't an anti-hero. Really, he's too well-written for that. He is the accumulated filth of a city's sex and murder, rising up about everyone's waists. He is a piece of the droppings that the lechers and communists follow over the precipice. He is a fleck of foam on the mouth of a city dying of rabies. That's really the beauty of what Alan Moore created - you read one level, and he's saying all the things you -know- are right. He's taking care of the problems no one else has the guts to handle: the dirty - but necessary - underbelly. On another, he's almost a shining example of the human spirit - the one who doesn't compromise, even in the face of armageddon. Look at another angle, and he's a self-parody in a cheap trenchcoat, pretending to understand and participate in something that was always bigger than him. That's Rorschach - every time you look, you see something different. You get what you want out of it - just like he does.

"Why are there so few us left healthy, active, and without personality disorders?" - Walter Kovacs
corrado

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a good article on the box-office performance of Watchmen.

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/watchmen-postmortem-what-price-fidelity/
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went out & bought the WATCHMEN comic & read it last week. Didn't think much of it. Art was crap. Then went back & watched the movie again. Didn't like it as much. I don't think the ending holds up. Blow up a few cities & everybody behaves. Pretty sick. The world view over all is pretty sick too.

Always thought that the NEXUS comics by Steve Rude & Mike Baron would adapt to film well. Pretty simple stuff, that's kind of dark, that would be easy to put on film. SF wouldn't be hard. The early stuff was a mystery surrounding his origin and if they just went step by step and kept the pace of the film slow you could get a lot out of it. I would use the comic as a story board.

WATCHMEN the best comic of all time? Joke!

I would nominate:

RED NAILS by Barry Smith & Roy Thomas

BLACK HOUND OF VENGEANCE by Barry Smith & Roy Thomas

Most of the major Richard Corben stuff was great. Too bad I've been away for 25 years & can't remember anymore. DEN & all that. Think there was one named DARK STAR or something. I liked everything Corben ever did.

There was a King Kull story by John Bolton that I thought was one of the best things I ever read.

Someday I'll go out to my garage put the stuff out.

Yohe
eron

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is still Little Nemo in Slumberland set I want that will put me back around $80. That I would call the greatest comic ever. Comic strip? Sure, I'm cheating, but Little Nemo was a masterpiece.

Don't know why you hated the Watchmen comic though. I thought you'd really dig the Black Freighter stuff.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't hate it, just not my type of comic. Little Nero's art always looked cool.--Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: