The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RACE TO WITCH MOUNTAIN

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: RACE TO WITCH MOUNTAIN Reply with quote

Saw RACE TO WITCH MOUNTAIN last night because there was nothing else to go see. Terrible. Sucked bad. But it was #1 over the weekend with 25 mil. Rock is the only thing in the movie worth watching and they give him nothing to do. I think he ad libs most of it. Rock is a star & can open movies. Someone has to figure out how to use him and put him in a good movie. He can do action and comedy. The camera loves the guy. If the film world can't get him over, then he'll end up on TV for 20 years. Funny how the Walt Disney people covered up his tatoos. *1/4--Yohe
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opening weekend figures

Witch Mountain: $24.4 million
Game Plan: $22.9 million
Rundown: $18.5 million

Those are the top three opening weekends for films in which Dwayne Johnson is supposed to be the drawing card. I don't count Scorpion King since the main drawing card was the Mummy franchise, and in Get Smart, the main drawing card was Steve Carroll.

Game Plan, which was Johnson's most successful film in which he was the center of attention, ended up doing $90.6 million, nearly twice of that Rundown, which ended up doing $47.7 million.

Game Plan also had good legs, though. It remains to be seen if Witch Mountain will do the same.

If Witch Mountain does exceed $75 million, it can be considered a modest success and I would suspect it will lead to yet more Disney projects involving The Rock.
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The comparison of Witch Mountain to other Rock movies:

Witch Mountain
First weekend: $24.4 million
Second weekend: $13 million (46.7 percent drop)

Game Plan
First weekend: $22.9 million
Second weekend: $16.2 million (27.6. percent drop)

Rundown
First weekend: $18.5 million
Second weekend: $9.6 million (48 percent drop)

Walking Tall
First weekend: $15.5 million
Second weekend: $8.4 million (46 percent drop)

Gridiron Gang
First weekend: $14.4 million
Second weekend: $9.4 million (34 percent drop)

The drop from the first to the second weekend means Witch Mountain won't likely reach Game Plan's total of $90.6 million, but it will finish ahead of Rock's other movies. I'd say $80 million or so is likely to be the final figure.
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Witch Mountain drew $5.8 million in its third weekend and has grossed $53.4 million total. $80 million will be difficult to reach but $70 million may be possible.

While I'm on the subject of wrestlers/former wrestlers in films, John Cena's film 12 Rounds bombed, getting just $5.3 million for its opening weekend. Better hope the DVD sales are good, Vince, or you've got a money loser on your hands.
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Witch Mountain currently checks in at $63.7 million. The lack of legs clearly hurt its chance of going higher.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: