The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JRRT vs Rand

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: JRRT vs Rand Reply with quote

Great quote linked to all over the place:

http://kfmonkey.blogspot.com/2009/03/ephemera-2009-7.html

Quote:
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

John
Kronos

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great quote. I was a bit late coming to Rand. I read THE FOUNTAINHEAD summer after my freshman year of college. Having grown up in a strict southern Baptist home, the ideas contained in the book messed with my head something fierce. I literally used to lay awake at night trying to figure out how to meld the two worldviews. Later I read ATLAS and ANTHEM.

I realized not long after all that that the reason Rand's worldview works so well in her books is that she sets it up perfectly so that people like Roarke and Galt have the right answers to the right questions. ATLAS SHRUGGED is a wonderful adventure story that so immerses you in her POV that you can't help but believe as her characters believe. Nothing else makes sense. But of course, in the real world, even if you allowed that people acting in their best interest would make everyone stronger -- well, it just doesn't work. Life is not like in her books, even if she does ask some interesting questions.

I re-read THE HOBBIT and LOTR this past summer, and they still hold up beautifully. The deeper questions of destiny and heroism and good vs evil in a world that's often quite grey are powerful and challenging. Rand? Not interested in ever re-reading them. . .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: