The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bruno the latest Sacha Baron Cohen movie to be NC-17 for now

View previous topic :: View next topic  
corrado

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Bruno the latest Sacha Baron Cohen movie to be NC-17 for now Reply with quote

Here's news on sacha Baron Cohen's latest comedy. (Warning pretty graphic)

http://www.thewrap.com/article/2127

I've been looking forward to this movie for a while, and I hope this means that there'll been footage that'll be trimmed to get an R rating. While the NC-17 version is released on DVD.

But as much as this could be very funny, I dont think this will hold a candle to Borat.
CTC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: SPOILERS AHOY - you were warned. Reply with quote

You will see a man give a Rusty Trombone to a ghost.

And that's really a fairly low point when it comes to intentionally graphic moments. If cock bulges were explosions, people would think Brüno was a Michael Bay movie. And I'm honestly shocked the NC-17 rating didn't stick; if it weren't for strategically-placed black boxes, they would have shown heterosexual fucking on-screen (though, given the people who were fucking, I really hope those black boxes stay in place if the DVD is the NC-17 version).

corrado's 100% right that this doesn't touch Borat - but also 100% right that it's very funny. The review in the local paper mentioned that Cohen is picking on easy prey, and I tend to agree with that - making fun of Alabama/Arkansas rednecks is like playing tennis with the net down. So, on some level, this isn't any kind of revelation. But there are two things I did come away with: first, it really is quite impressive how far Cohen is willing to go to get a laugh, and second, it's equally sad that he managed to pull a fast one on this many people to get this movie made after Borat was such a hit.

But it does strike a nerve in regards to American culture and how hopelessly screwed-up the nation's sense of right and wrong is. I even found myself cringing or looking away after the dozenth gratuitous man-ass shot or the scene where his penis swings to and fro - and then I realized, "Hey, I guess that means the joke's on me, too." It's a shot across the bow at the very heart of bigotry, at a dysfunctional country full of people too afraid of what they don't - or can't - understand to accept anything that isn't sterilized and made palatable for the lowest common denominator. That the final scenes of the movie proper surround a fictitious MMA event is all the more thought-provoking: violence is OK, half-naked men rolling around and touching each other is OK - the crowd goes nuts for it, in fact - but the very idea of sex between two men is evil and disgusting and cause for a near-riot.

A part of me hopes this is the last such movie he makes, because there's a clear drop in how funny and satirical the whole of the film is...but a bigger part of me wants to see another one, just to see if he can pull it off.
Tomer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best scene in the movie (for me): Bruno trying to get kidnapped by the Al-Aqsa Martyrs' Brigades. The look on Ayman Abu Aita's face after Bruno's insult of Osama bin Laden was priceless and I was shocked they allowed him to film the apartment (or didn't realize who he was) to begin with.

-Tomer
Also, the Israeli-Palestinian 'negotiations' and being chased by the Hasidic Jews in Jerusalem were up there as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: