The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Michael Jackson is dead.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
corrado

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Michael Jackson is dead. Reply with quote

Michael Jackson passed away today.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/06/pop-star-michael-jackson-was-rushed-to-a-hospital-this-afternoon-by-los-angeles-fire-department-paramedics--capt-steve-ruda.html

Regardless of his non-music news, he was a pioneer for pop music. And that can't be forgotten.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up through Thriller, it was an amazing career. Then he pretty much lost his mind. :/

John
kjh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mixed feeling about this. A public and media rush to eulogize him would be a bit hard to take when anyone else who was alleged to have committed the same crimes would not be forgiven so easily.
Iron Chad

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with John and kjh, in 1983 I would've viewed this as a tragedy of Elvis proportions. There's been too much goofiness and child related nonsense (don't forget the video of him dangling his child off the hotel balcony) and fiscal stupidity to care other than that Mike's #3 with Farrah and Ed McMahon, celebs who fucked themselves over through shitty decisions mixed with unfortunate luck.

EDIT: OK, The BBC America newcast is already smoking the one gloved bong. Michael Jackson's death is like Elvis Presley's. . . ONLY BIGGER. Two out of three guests have dropped that. I know the Brits still dug him more than we Americans did and he was set to do a bunch of shows in London next month, but c'mon he was a musically irrelevant freak show for almost the past 20 years.

-Chad
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kjh wrote:
I have mixed feeling about this. A public and media rush to eulogize him would be a bit hard to take when anyone else who was alleged to have committed the same crimes would not be forgiven so easily.

That's close to what I'm thinking and what was underneath what I wrote.

The music of his that I like ends with Thriller. Musically and non-musically, he pretty clearly lost his mind at some point after Thriller came out. I don't think we have a good understanding of the shape of his mind prior to that: private person and wrapped up in mythology. So in the end, all we have of "Good Mike" is the music and performing up to a certain point. :/

John
Fong

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be interesting to see how this death and its coverage compares to the Cobain death and coverage, which was the other biggest musical death of my lifetime. (Techinically, Lennon would be in there, but I was only 1 and ergo have no recollection of it)

There are a few similarities. Both were considered geniuses and innovators by certain circles in the music industry. Both had horribly self-destructive flaws. We can't speculate on any unnatural causes for Michael's passing yet.

And the impact of both will be thoroughly overblown in the wake of their passing. Cobain wasn't John Lennon. MJ wasn't Elvis. But we'll be subjected to a lot of that.

-HJF
(thinking back to the media crush when Dangerous was released... and it's hard to believe that was 1992, and it was the last time Michael really charted in the States. The ensuing fall from grace was surreal.)
Rian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael the singer will be missed
Michael the wacko...well if you can't say anything nice...
Loss

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kjh wrote:

In fairness, we don't know that he committed any crimes. He was acquitted. He may have committed those crimes for all I know -- I have no idea -- but I do think it's sad that just the accusations are enough to influence opinion in a way that can't be changed.
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only think of say an 18 year old kid who probably has no idea just how big Michael was back in the day. I remember when he first did the moonwalk and just how insane popular that was and of course like JDW said, his music thru Thriller was just unbelievable. I can't remember the album, but I believe it had to be in the early 90's where a few of my friends who weren't even Jacko fans bought the album because they thought it would be a collector's album. And at the time nobody really thought that was too insane (of course, the album was so-so and flopped by Jacko's standards).

I get the feeling that Jacko was one of those people sort of like Paul Abdul where they probably are taking a ton of painkillers for aches and pains that probably don't exist and I get the feeling that this helped cause his death. But I'll wait until the autopsy results come back.

YAKUZA
kjh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loss wrote:
kjh wrote:

In fairness, we don't know that he committed any crimes. He was acquitted. He may have committed those crimes for all I know -- I have no idea -- but I do think it's sad that just the accusations are enough to influence opinion in a way that can't be changed.

I think it's a fair point to make, but even without the accusations, he would still have been a deeply troubled individual. People blur the performer with the real person behind the performer. I don't mind people putting him on a pedestal as a musical performer, but the real person doesn't deserve the same kind of uncritical adulation. The same thing could have been said if Britney Spears had died a year ago. I think John probably put it better when he said he pretty much lost his mind.
tdcheetah

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Edited to add:] At 21, he was so gorgeous. *sigh*

Michael Jackson the person: clearly damaged -- and irreparably so now.

Michael Jackson the talent: a sad loss. Obviously would have been sadder 20 years ago, when the bizarre future of MJ was not quite so clear. But for those who were touched in our youth by his music and his dancing and his image, it is a loss.

And I am one of those.

Lee (who is considering Benoit as a similar if less obvious situation, and who hopes that MJ's three children can find their way into healthy, happy lives)
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, the most tragic death to happen to a musician was John Lennon's.

Elvis was certainly a pioneer in rock and roll, but let's not forget he was on the downside when he passed away, although he wasn't as fucked up as MJ was.

Getting back to MJ, I thought his music beyond Thriller had mixed results. I just thought his writing was much more clever on Thriller than any album that followed. When Black or White came along, that's when you could see him getting nuttier from the music video perspective, and then it started to hit his songs as well. Exception: "Will You Be There?"

And now, to put into further perspective MJ's state of mind, a family attorney believes his death is because of the prescription painkillers he was taking:

http://new.music.yahoo.com/michael-jackson/news/mystery-surrounds-michael-jackson39s-sudden-death--61720652

Quote:
A family attorney said on Friday he had been concerned that Jackson's use of prescription drugs for dancing-related injuries would eventually prove fatal and that the entertainer's inner circle had ignored his warnings.

Lawyer Brian Oxman, a spokesman for the Jackson family, told CBS's "The Early Show" on Friday that he had been concerned about the prescription drugs that Jackson took due to injuries suffered while performing.

"I had warned everyone that I could warn and I told them that one day, Michael Jackson is going to wake up dead, which is a very odd way of putting it ...," Oxman said.

"I do not want to point fingers at anyone because I want to hear what the toxicology report says and the coroner says but the plain fact of the matter is that Michael Jackson had prescription drugs at his disposal at all times," he said.

I don't blame people for not having an outpouring of grief regarding his death, regardless of whether he was found guilty or not in a criminal case. But let's not forget he did settle at least one civil case out of court, so it does indicate he was pretty fucked up in the head.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have doubts that Mike was doing the perscriptions like crazy, as has been the case for 15+ years. That said... Oxman is a bit of a nutter and a blow hard. He was on Countdown last night via phone and wouldn't shut the fuck up but also wouldn't say anything specific.

The image of him getting pulled off the chopper as USC Medical was pretty interesting. There frankly didn't look like there was much of a body there at all. We all knew Mike was rail thin and didn't look healthy for two decades. There just didn't look like there was much left there. :/

John
Rian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah looked like it was a taller older woman's body (aka skin and bones). Weird
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was a joke. Waist of talent and money. Music sucked & meant nothing to me. Failure in every way you can judge a human.----Steve Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: