The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Secretly Formative Shows You Watched As A Kid For $100

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tdcheetah

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Secretly Formative Shows You Watched As A Kid For $100 Reply with quote

Oh, I could wax rhapsodically over "Wacky Races", but instead, I will cover perhaps the secretly most formative show of my childhood...

The Banana Splits Adventure Hour. Hanna-Barbara's initial attempt to mix live-action and animation (and debuted prior to the better known H.R. Pufenstuf), which originally included The Three Muskeeters and Arabian Nights 'toons (and later in syndication, other 'toons like The Adventures of Gulliver, from where I get the quote "We're doomed... we'll never make it..."), plus the ultra-goofy Danger Island live-action shorts with none other than a very, *very* young Jan-Michael Vincent as Link.

And of course, there were Fleegle, Bingo, Drooper and Snork[y].

Listen, I was a member of the fan club. I had the certificate and the posters and the secret code wheel.

AND the 4 dolls.

AND the 45 Extended Play Record of Tra-Tra-La/The Beautiful Calliopa.

Yeah, I was hardcore.

Now that I have FIOS and the occasionally useful DVR, it turns out Boomerang is showing this as one of their "classic cartoons", but the episodes are only 20 minutes long (leaving enough time to pimp a Tom and Jerry collection, etc.) and there aren't as many skits as I remember.

Then, I decided to check out the website.

Hoooold the bus!

Flash normally annoys me as being way overused or even misused, but this is textbook on how to use it effectively. (Another great example: 30 Second Bunnies Theatre, including a perfect recap of Exorcist.) They have games, music, and lots of video. I foresee many happy hours spent watching utterly ridiculous slapstick skits over and over...

"That's a double-ooch!"

Lee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: