The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CSI

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: CSI Reply with quote

So I'm remembering why I hated CSI Miami from Show #1 and never could watch it. But here I am stuck watching it because the three show arc starting on Miami running across New York and climaxing on the Mothership is... well... this week's CSI episode. So to "get" that one, I need to watch Miami.

I'm reminded why not only I hate CSI Miami, but why NYPD Blue got much better after season one (at least until it went off the cliff): David Curuso is just a loathsome actor to watch on the TV. It beats the living shit out of me how he carries it.

All CSI's have their gimmicks and standard look & feel. Miami is just annoying with the bright light colors and random HOTTIE-HOTTIE-HOTTIE~! shots. Glam up Miami, and having been around two decades ago, I saw this shit before with Miami Vice. And I have to say that since I was smoking and drinking back then, Miami Vice was considerably more "entertaining" loaded and high than CSI Miami is sober. ;)

Okay... just how bad is this show? Emily Procotor is high on the "Celebrities jdw Would Love To Bang" list. And even she can't save this show. :P

Hmmm... I don't think I've sat through an entire CSI NY. God... this could be a painful week. :)

John

Last edited by jdw on Thu May 20, 2010 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see one of the gimmicks / look & feels that didn't see to be there when I suffered them in the first season is their current love of shooting through extra layers of "glass". Really freaking annoying.

The slow mo sucks as well, as does the triple split screen crap.

Still, Curuso is the drizzling shits that's the worst thing about it.

John
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Nick lives, and we get a cliffhanger of Dr. Ray bleeding to (presumed) death. Obviously one could see it coming which takes away the hook, but it also has the negative of being too close to the "dream" stabbing of Griss by the Dollmaker several seasons back. Add in the stooge cop clearly getting worked (which took forever to run through), and it comes across as a Russo-style booking storyline.

I didn't mind this season:

The on going Dr. Jek storyline wasn't bad, though the pay off tonight was mediocre since they used an old serial killer in the Lecter spot to help solve it. The notion of having a single serial killer arc through a season to be solved is a *good* one since the hunt for a serial killer can take time, and can play on the emotions/minds of those hunting the killer. It's a concept that should have been a regular feature every season from the start, rather than something they've touched on occassionally over the years. So up to tonight, not a bad arc.

I've enjoyed the addition of Langston to the team if we're not going to have Griss anymore. They did have some sprinkles during the season to create some doubt last week on Langston... okay, not real doubt since we knew it wasn't him, but it at least showed some multi show planning.

The Catherine + Cop thing was decently done earlier in the season, though kind of flippantly referred to tonight. The could have done something better earlier, though maybe I missed it. Don't think so.

I like the Hodges+Wendy storyline as it's been building for years, and the episode with the high school kids this year did a pretty good job of picking it up. It is at the point where you'd hope the next time they focus back on the two for an episode that they jump each other's bones. It's played out long enough that stretching it futher will wear it out.

Sara being back... I guess some comfort level there, and I wasn't as annoyed by here as any number of times through the years with her stuff with Griss. But it's a step back that they couldn't get a fresh member of the team. Still don't know what caused the heat between Riley last year and CSI Production/Creative that led to her being run. It did give them time to throw more stuff to the lab folks on shows that Sara wasn't on this year. But they really could use someone fresh in there, and one who adds a different dynamic to the show... whatever that might be.

So I didn't mind the season, even if the show is long of tooth and likely has peak long ago on the quality standpoint.

But I did mind the season final. Reason above: very flat finish to the season long arc of Dr. Jek, weak Lecter rip off, poor false tease of Nick followed by an annoying cliff hanger on Ray that needed an Idiot Cop to make it happen. Russo booking, and gives a feel that they didn't know how to get us back to watch next year other than throwing shit at the wall with a Big Finish. Blah.

I spent more time here than a poor finale warrants. :)

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: