The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2010 Oscar Nominations
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: 2010 Oscar Nominations Reply with quote

http://www.moviefone.com/oscars-academy-awards/nominee-winner

Some interesting titles among the movies nominated. Of course, they increased that category to 10 this year.

Will be interesting to see not only what awards Avatar will get, but Up as well (that one got several nominations you wouldn't expect an animated film to get).
corrado

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Blind Side definately benefitted from the 10-movie Best Picture news, instead of 5. I couldnt see it nominated if it was just 5. District 9 perhaps too. Less so than Blind Side though.

Everything else isnt stunning. No big snubs for all I know.
CTC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where the Wild Things Are is your big snub. No nominations of any kind. I didn't see a better or more imaginative movie this year, though it would seem no one else with any sense saw it, either. More bad choices falling out of the Academy clown car.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be pretty fun if all the "live action" movies split up the voting and Up won the Best Picture. I sort of doubt it, though. I suspect Avatar will take the big one. In the face of near-depression, the movie made a ton of money while also having a message that Hollywood likes more than wingnuts. Only possible blowback would be against Cameron. He's pretty well known as an asshole in Hollywood. On the other hand, that didn't stop him from getting the honors with Titanic.

John
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad year for film. I'd just give it to the movie that made the most money...Avatar. Weak group.--Yohe
Jeremy Billones

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Titanic went 11 for 14, I suppose Avatar will do about as well.

I kinda liked The Hurt Locker, though.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good thing for all of this years nominees that SHUTTER ISLAND got pushed back to Feb. 2010 because it's way better that any other film made in 2009. It would be terrible if they had to give another Oscar to Scorsese.

John...Get your credit card..and walk across the street and see this movie.--Yohe
corrado

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winners:

http://www.deadline.com/2010/03/live-blogging-the-82nd-oscars/

I'm sure this will be more entertaining than the actual telecast.
corrado

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this was a month or two ago, Avatar losing would've been a huge shock. But with all the momentum the Hurt Locker has had lately, it really isnt surprising.

I dont think though this will be as controversial years from now, as other upsets like Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan. And Crash over Brokeback Mountain.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I walked out of the Hurt Locker. The moving camera made me sick.

Next year maybe they'll nominate 15 films so a popular film will win.

Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They had popular films in the 10: Up and Avatar. I don't think the number of nominations hurt Avatar. If anything, it's possible that if there were just 5 nominations with Avatar one of the 5 and Up *not* that Avatar would have won.

Of course we don't know how the voting broke down, and if Avatar and Up were 2-3 and remotely close to Hurt Locker.

I have to admit that it's funny as shit that Cammeron got beat by his ex-wife that he dumped for Linda Hamilton. :)

John
El-P

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad Bigelow won. At least a truly excellent movie won the award this year, which doesn't happen very much. And I'm glad good cinema prevailed over technology jerk-off for once. And I'm glad a woman (good looking no less) won an award in this male dominated business.
Iron Chad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even better is the woman winning is the ex-wife of a jerkoff that's also nominated. Did I read right that Bigelow is 59?!? She looked great, better than many of the starlets that are around half her age.
El-P

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this is poetic justice if there's any.
And yes, Bigelow is 59 and looks awesome.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... no doubt the whole night was a joyful experiance for Bigelow. The "fuck you" aspect aimed at her ex was probably low on here list, though. This is a project that she spent a ridiculous number of year on along with the writer. The shoot was brutal. Unlike say Dear Hunter and Platoon in earlier generations, there wasn't a strong box office there as reward. In the end it was movie making and storytelling for the sake of movie making and storytelling, getting it out there so that at least the story was seen and heard by some.

I wouldn't have begrudged Avatar winning it. It hit cords that usually play well for the voters, "messages" that they like. It made a ridiculous amount of money. It's another of those Cammeron movies that should have utterly bombed and collapsed upon itself, yet ended up striking a cord *globally* that is beyond fucking nuts. Given a choice between it winning and Jackson getting his "Lifetime Lord of the Rings Achivement" bonanza, of course I'd prefer Avatar to take it.

But that something else took it is something I also don't have a problem with.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: