The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Springsteen tour thread...
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fong

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Springsteen tour thread... Reply with quote

I have a feeling I will be one of about three or four on this board who really pays attention to this, but dammit, I need to up my post count one way or another, right? :)

Springsteen kicks off the Magic Tour next week in Hartford, on the same day the new album drops. (Incidentally, the album is far more consistent an effort than The Rising was and will translate to the live show a hell of a lot better) E Street played the first of their rehearsal shows at Convention Hall in Asbury Park on Monday. The old standards that popped up featured some really neat surprises. John, I draw your attention to song number 18...

1. Radio Nowhere
2. No Surrender
3. Gypsy Biker
4. Empty Sky
5. Something In The Night
6. Girls In Their Summer Clothes
7. Night
8. Promised Land
9. Livin' In The Future
10. Devil's Arcade
11. Candy's Room
12. She's The One
13. Lonesome Day
14. My Hometown
15. The Rising
16. Last To Die
17. Long Walk Home
18. THUNDERCRACK!!!!
19. Born To Run
20. Darlington County
21. American Land

So, to recap: No Bobby Jean. No Out In The Street. No Ramrod. Heck, even no Badlands. A whole slew of rarities, 7 of the 12 songs on the new album, and the ultimate in rarities. I doubt the entire tour will look like this, but one can certainly wish.

-HJF
(It bears mentioning that the band also rehearsed Seaside Bar Song last week)
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll see after the first few shows the songs that are semi-fixed in the lineup, and the ones that are rotation spots. I'm willing to bet we see the evil Ramrod in the rotation. :)

Thanks for the note, Fong.

John
Fong

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opening night of the tour in Hartford setlist:

Radio Nowhere
The Ties That Bind
Lonesome Day
Gypsy Biker
Magic
REASON TO BELIEVE (full band, a ZZ-Top-like riff featuring Bruce singing into a bullet mic, much like he did on the Devils And Dust tour)
Night
She's The One
Livin' In The Future
Promised Land
A TOWN CALLED HEARTBREAK
Darkness On The Edge Of Town
Darlington County
Devil's Arcade
The Rising
Last To Die
Long Walk Home
Badlands

Encores:
Girls In Their Summer Clothes
THUNDERCRACK (looks like it ain't going anywhere)
Born To Run
Waitin' On A Sunny Day
American Land

A few thoughts I pulled off of Backstreets and Greasy Lake:

-Town Called Heartbreak is already the biggest bone of contention. It's off Patti's latest record and features Patti and Bruce dueting. It's actually not a bad song, and I find it a welcome change from some of the stale crap that has found its way back into the set over and over. But knowing how Bruce fans feel about Patti Ono...

-Darkness was an audible; originally planned on Born In The USA

-No drawn out band intros. A quick band intro at the end of American Land

-Thundercrack, if it's anything like the versions played in Asbury Park last weekend, will be pretty faithful to the Tracks version, as opposed to the out-of-control gallop it was live back in the day. With all due respect, Weinberg isn't Vinnie Lopez, Bittan isn't Dave Sancious, and 58-year-old Bruce Springsteen isn't the same as he was at 24. (Not insults, just statements of fact and musical style)

It definitely feels like a different show. Many nights, the Rising tour seemed like an extension of the reunion tour of 99-00 with a few new songs thrown in. Same overly drawn out band intros, same transitions, same song closing the sets. This, however, is a different tour. Looks like the time away doing the Devils and Dust and Seeger Sessions projects were good for everyone.

I'll check back in as the tour progresses with any rarities that pop up, leading to Albany on the 15th of November.

-HJF
(anyone heard Magic yet? Thoughts?)
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post, Fong. :)

I'm going to see if I can drag Guren over here...

John
guren

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I am around and one of the 3 or 4 paying attention. I haven't picked up the new album yet, though I will try to get around to it sometime within a week.

Now, I need to figure out if there is any way to make it to any of the stops on the current tour. Maybe I can boondoggle my way to Germany in the middle of December under the guise of a business trip.

glenn
Frank_Jewett
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are links to MP3 files from Saturday night's concert in Philly.

http://ickmusic.com/index.php/2007/10/07/ickmusic-live-the-boss-in-philly-saturday-night/

Download the complete concert (Part One and Part Two) or right click on Thundercrack to download that song as an MP3 file.

Frank
Fong

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From last Saturday's Philadelphia show, a few YouTube vids:

Reason To Believe

Dancing In The Dark

Radio Nowhere

American Land

-HJF
guren

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are also a few video clips on the setlist page at the Springsteen site:

http://brucespringsteen.net/live/2007setlists.html

I must say, though, that watching the clips doesn't exactly make me want to rush out to a show...
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guren wrote:
I must say, though, that watching the clips doesn't exactly make me want to rush out to a show...

Yeah... er... um... :/

Old, not sharp, and more than a bit ragged. Could be the mixes. But Guren is always tied into the stuff circulating and the buzz, so he probably would know what the buzz is among audiophilles and those longtime fans most likely to give a non-fanboy opinion on the tour.

I guess I'm largely hoping for a 30th anniversary reissue of Darkness, along with one of the legendary concerts from that tour to be finally issued much like we saw with the 30th Anniversary of BTR. Hopefully better mixed than the new album. :/

John
Fong

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdw wrote:
guren wrote:

Yeah... er... um... :/

Old, not sharp, and more than a bit ragged. Could be the mixes. But Guren is always tied into the stuff circulating and the buzz, so he probably would know what the buzz is among audiophilles and those longtime fans most likely to give a non-fanboy opinion on the tour.

I've heard all the shows off the tour proper up to this point. It's varied from "very good" to "ehhh". Most of the band sounds as they always do. Weinberg, Bittan, Tallent and Lofgren sound as solid as ever.

But the single unavoidable issue is this: Clarence sounds awful. Missing cues, screwing up sax lines he has played for 30 years plus. It's the 800 pound elephant in the room that nobody can discuss because, well, he's The Big Man. But I hope this is his last go-round. At 65 with two hip replacements, it can't be too good for his health either. Not to mention Steve Van Zandt looks thoroughly bored as well(but he looked that way at stretches on The Rising tour).

Some of the thematic points Bruce is trying to make musically don't work in actuality; The Rising sounds awful sandwiched between the pretty good Devil's Arcade and the closing trio of Last To Die/Long Walk Home/Badlands. Girls In Their Summer Clothes is another friggin' Bobby Jean in the live setting. The positives so far are the revamped Reason To Believe and Bruce's voice sounding better than at any point on the Reunion or Rising tours (don't let the brief clips fool you; he has regained some of the power in his voice).

Quote:
I guess I'm largely hoping for a 30th anniversary reissue of Darkness, along with one of the legendary concerts from that tour to be finally issued much like we saw with the 30th Anniversary of BTR. Hopefully better mixed than the new album. :/

The scuttlebutt is that there is another full album, in the can, ready to go. So if you're not a fan of Brendan O'Brien's production, you may be stuck with another full dosage of that in early '08. I would prefer a Darkness 30th Anniversary remaster package, or the heavily rumored Tracks II project.

-HJF
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fong wrote:
I've heard all the shows off the tour proper up to this point. It's varied from "very good" to "ehhh". Most of the band sounds as they always do. Weinberg, Bittan, Tallent and Lofgren sound as solid as ever.

They're the reliable ones.

I thought Bruce himself sounded good as far as playing on the Reunion Tour stuff I want to or heard, though I don't seek everything out. Skipped the "barnstorming" part of the Rising Tour, since it was originally implied they would do a second US leg that had "stands" at indoor facilities. Those instead turned into the massive cash chow of the outdoor stadiums... and I have to confess that at this point after seeing him indoors and outdoors in the past, I don't have the stomach for the stadiums anymore. I didn't care for the Barca DVD, but a decent amount of that was my dislike for (a) The Rising material in large degree, and (b) I didn't really care for the director/camera work. :/ So it's not a DVD that hits my machine often... and I've avoided the boots of the tour. So no comment on his playing there.

Quote:
But the single unavoidable issue is this: Clarence sounds awful.

Agreed. Seems like people know it, and are talking about it. Just not Bruce.

Quote:
Not to mention Steve Van Zandt looks thoroughly bored as well(but he looked that way at stretches on The Rising tour).

I honestly don't think Bruce does much to engage him. It's as if he sees Steve is like Gary - back there adding to the sound of the band, and happy simply to be out there playing.

Quote:
The positives so far are the revamped Reason To Believe

I like Bruce revisiting songs and revamping them over the years.

I like the playing of the band - decent riff and music, and the hermonica stuff is nice.

I don't like it on *this* song.

I don't think it fits the lyrics or theme of the song, and unlike other revamps, doesn't give a new way to think about the themes of the song. Instead, it kind of buries they lyrics beneath a nifty, cool riff of the band.

Perhaps I'm a little close to the song. It was the one song on Nebraska that nailed it for me way back in 1982 when I dropped the stylus on those two sides of vinyl. The rest of the album grew on me over time, to the point that finally hearing *any* of the Nebraska songs live during the two legs of the BitUSA Tour was something I looked forward to even more than hearing the songs off BitUSA. :) But Reason To Believe always held a special spot for me.

It's not that I'm against it being revamped. But I'd like to see something that enhances the lyrics rather than... well... the band groving on a heavy blues riff. I think other songs off Nebraska would work well with that or a similar blues riff - Johnny 99 and State Trooper.

Quote:
The scuttlebutt is that there is another full album, in the can, ready to go. So if you're not a fan of Brendan O'Brien's production, you may be stuck with another full dosage of that in early '08.

Yow. :(

Quote:
I would prefer a Darkness 30th Anniversary remaster package, or the heavily rumored Tracks II project.

Perhaps while O'Brien works on the new stuff, Landau and other members of Team Bruce work on the back catalog.

The 30th set of BTR came out in November, leading into Christmas rather than tie into the real 30th anniversary date (August 1975). If there's a new album in early 2008, that leaves time for a late 2008 30th anniversary set to "celebrate" the June 1978 release of Darkness.

If you look at how easily Bruce has slapped together stuff in 2005-2007 releative to his earlier perfectionism/sloth, fitting a Darkness box isn't too hard... especially if Team Bruce has been working on it since the BTR box:

04/26/05 Devils & Dust

09/06/05 VH1 Storytellers (Live DVD)

11/15/05 Born to Run 30th Anniversary Edition (LP Re-Mix)

11/15/05 Wings For Wheels (Documentary DVD)

11/15/05 Hammersmith Odeon London '75 (Live DVD)

02/28/06 Hammersmith Odeon London '75 (Live LP)

04/25/06 The Seeger Sessions (LP)

06/05/07 Live in Dublin (Live DVD)

10/02/07 Magic (LP)

For Bruce, that's a lot of shit. :)

So... if Live in Dublin can be worked on and come out while Bruce and the Band are working on Magic, I think Darkness can fit in here somewhere.

You got the feeling from the BTR 30th materials that Bruce was comfortable revisiting stuff rather than moving on. I think he knows he has good stuff relating to Darkness, The River and Born in the USA in the can. To degree, he has some interesting Nebraska stuff in the can such as the E Street versions of the songs, that were left off Tracks... just not a concert to slap together on it unless it's a "compelation" concert of the songs being played in different concerts over the years. I'd have to look... but I think just about everything on the album has been filmed at some point... and some with different "revamps", which would be an interesting mini-DVD if you could actually get him to sit down and do an intro to each.

Tunnel of Love had concerts filmed as well if I recall. Not sure if he'll ever want to 30th concept that. But there really is a batch of them he can do from 2008 to 2014 that would please fans.

John
Fong

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From last Sunday's show in Ottawa, Win and Regine of Arcade Fire join Bruce and the band for a couple of tunes:

State Trooper

Keep The Car Runnin'

-HJF
Fong

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the LA Sports Arena on October 30:

Kitty's Back

I wouldn't mind that one staying in the Thundercrack spot for next Thursday night; either one works...

*checking tonight's Detroit setlist to notice that Ramrod took its spot*

"Aww, son of a bitch!"
-Jim Ross

-HJF
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ARRRGGGGHHHHHHH!

:)

John
Fong

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random scattered thoughts on the 11/15 show in Albany, simply because I'm too tired to write a full review...

- Got in the pit, again. The pit was designed to hold about 450 people (actually could squeeze 650 in there, but it might get pretty nasty), which is one of the smallest ones for the arena tour. They drew #118, which meant everyone with a General Admission ticket and a wristband numbered 118 - 567 would be in the pit. My friend and I had 192 and 193. Score~! Got into the arena and made a beeline for stage left. I had one person between me and the rail at the feet of one Clarence Clemons. More on him in a moment.

- Crowd was small (Times Union Center holds maybe 13000), but there were very few empty seats and most of the fans seemed really into it. A really good mix of old and young, and quite a few kids in the pit too. Bruce has had this thing of calling audibles and playing requests that are held up by kids. No audibles on this night. Frankly, I question any parent who brings a 5-year-old into a standing room environment for a 2 hour plus rock show, and also expects their kid to be allowed to be right up front, as did this one guy standing near me. The kid really didn't want to be there, and they left about 2/3 of the way through the show. The kid will never remember that Bruce pointed directly at him and smiled, and he may not even care.

-The band seemed to be in a really fun, playful mood tonight. Steve and Bruce traded off solos on Gypsy Biker quite nicely. Garry was smiling, bouncing, and even took backing vox on American Land, which featured Roy and Danny on accordion, and Clarence playing a penny-whistle. Still doesn't sound as good as it did with the Sessions Band, but not bad. Soozie Tyrell took the backing vocal chores as Patti was not around. I never thought Patti did much for the sound of the band, and tonight I was assured of that. As for Clarence - he seems to be rounding into shape a bit. Bruce nicely scheduled some runs where the Big Man wasn't needed, and could sit and take a breather. He nailed Thunder Road, Promised Land, and She's The One.

- Setlist sat at 24 songs. No drawn-out, bloated band intros a la Tenth Avenue or Mary's Place. No acoustic mini-sets that kill momentum and send casual fans running for the beer stands (Empty Sky/You're Missing on the last tour). Overall, there were very few moments where things dragged. Girls In Their Summer Clothes was one - it simply does not generate any momentum as the kickoff to the encores.

When Bruce doesn't feel obligated to play Thunder Road every night, the performances are much better, and this one was no exception. The Reason/Darkness/Candy/She's The One run sounded as solid as can be.

Then... there's the most unexpected double shot of my Springsteen-watching life. Sandy was never one of my favorites, but it sounded pretty decent. Danny and his accordion playing got the spotlight on this one, and Nils doubled his part on guitar. As soon as it ended, Bruce shouts out, "A double shot from the Wild And The Innocent!" and begins that funky riff that can only mean E Street Shuffle, performed faithful to the recorded version. It wasn't nearly as free-form and frenetic as the original - once again, Max Weinberg isn't Vincent Lopez, and Roy Bittan isn't Dave Sancious. And it didn't help that a lot of the crowd had no idea what it was.

But screw 'em. I loved it. :) They even did the little tag-on jam at the end. Bruce was clearly having a ball with this one.

SET LIST:
Radio Nowhere
No Surrender
Lonesome Day
Gypsy Biker
Magic
Reason To Believe
Darkness On The Edge Of Town (amazingly, only the second performance on the tour so far)
Candy's Room
She's The One
Livin' In The Future
The Promised Land
I'll Work For Your Love
4TH OF JULY, ASBURY PARK (SANDY)
THE E STREET SHUFFLE
Devil's Arcade
The Rising
Last To Die
Long Walk Home
Badlands

Girls In Their Summer Clothes
Thunder Road
Born To Run
Dancing In The Dark
American Land

Overall, an energetic performance by a band that really seemed like they wanted to be there. I've seen them when they clearly would have rather been somewhere else, and it isn't fun. This was a blast. Looking forward to seeing them in March in Rochester and Buffalo. (But I'm working the sellers outside the arenas for those shows; I can probably get in for about 40 bucks as opposed to 100)

-HJF
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: