The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recent indy cards attended?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chikara Pro

Hmm... at least the 9/18 Baltimore card has a straight joshi match. The next night in NY there's a mixed tag with Quack living out his fantasty of working with Toyota. ;)

Now maybe if Hotta or Aja were on the card to punt Toyota it might draw Cheetah to the card. :P

John
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROH - Richmond, VA- August 27th

Quote:
Championís Challenge
Non-Title Special Attraction
ROH World Champion Tyler Black vs. ROH World Television Champion Eddie Edwards

Pick 6 Contenders Series
(3) Kevin Steen vs. (6) Davey Richards

Pick 6 Contenders Series
(1) Roderick Strong vs. Steve Corino

Tag Wars 2010 Block A Semi-Final
Jay & Mark Briscoe vs. The Necro Butcher & Erick Stevens with Prince Nana

Tag Wars 2010 Block B Semi-Final
Colt Cabana & El Generico vs. The All Night Express (Kenny King and Rhett Titus)

Tag Wars 2010 Block C Semi-Final
The Dark City Fight Club vs. The Bravado Brothers

Open Challenge
ROH World Tag Team Champions The Kings of Wrestling with Shane Hagadorn vs. ???

Hey! It's Steve Corino.

;)

And one of the last chances to see soon-to-be-former ROH Champ Tyler Black.

John
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey... it looks like Tim Noel was at the ROH show on Friday:

WO.com: ROH house show report 8-27 Richmond by Tim Noel

Wonder if he dragged Dean to it. :)

I thought Richards-Steen was better than Black-Edwards. Black-Edwards "solid" but had issues of the fans buying parts of it. They just weren't that into the posibility of Edwards winning, either because they didn't think he would or the non-title aspect made them not care. Just felt flat in parts.

The card and crowd interest seemed to peak with the Richards-Steen match.

John
Jeremy Billones

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the opening, I was screaming at the fans to calm down and pace themselves, because they were white hot at the start. The first three tag matches (the semis for Tag Wars) and Steen/Richards were all before intermission, and I really think that fried the crowd. They came back from intermission for the local match, and then two matches where RoH guys faced local talent, so by the time Black/Edwards rolled around the crowd was just ready to go home.

I don't dislike Tyler Black, but he was wrestling like a guy who was just told last week he had to turn heel. I mean, it took us six months before we started buying Strong as a heel on TV, and he still works face on house shows. I appreciate that he tried -- and he did try, in a lot of big and little ways -- but the crowd just couldn't give him any heat.
Robster2001

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdw - Tim was across from us... as far as I know, he only brought his dad. I didn't see DEAN~! anywhere in the building.

I agree that the fans had pretty much burned out by the main event... the problem is that with the Tag Wars semis, there was no obviously better way to construct the card, especially with Edwards' non-appearance and Strong's run-in from the tarmac at RIC. :) So all of the really hot stuff went early... there just wasn't enough left for Black/Edwards. I understand not booking it as a title match, but as a non-title match, it had one strike against it right out of the box...
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange end to Battle of Los Angeles for PWG. Crowd turned on Jerry Ryan beating Claudio in the first semifinal in a way that I can't recall any crowd turning on a wrestler in an unplanned way. Claudio had been fab through three matches, and despite being the "hell" in those matches, the crowd was fully behind him. Ryan was the face, and worked a smart "injury" storyline in both his QF and in the SF against Claudio... but the fans flat out wanted Claudio to win. His not winning got a "bullshit" chant that dumped the biggest shit on a pretty solid match that I've ever seen.

Worse?

Ryan was booked in the finals to go over the wrestler that the majority of the crowd both nights seemed to want to see win it all: Hero. The Final followed:

* Hero winning the other SF, which while not at the level of Hero's opener nor QF was perfectly solid;

* a six-man that drove the crowd batshit; and

* a semi-slow building tag title match that had a load of hear (thanks to crowd fav Generico and other crowd fav London)

So there was plenty of time for the crowd to have been pulled back into the show. Yet as soon as Ryan's music hit and he popped out of the curtain for the Final, the crowd was still hating him. It took a shitload of effort from Hero to eventually get the crowd into the Final, and as they were working towards the finish the crowd was pretty much into it...

Then Ryan won. And the crowd shit on it instantly. Seemed like half the crowd cleared out fast. A large chunk that remained for the post match stayed to shit on Joey more.

Painful to watch as while Ryan was far from the star of the two nights, his matches were all pretty decent and his work was solid enough in them. Probably one of the biggest nights of his career, and it got shit on and ruined.

I'd be interested to see if the booking was limited due to the title match scheduling, and Hero not being available for it and they needed a local guy to face Davey Richards.

John
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryan's website write-up of 2010 BOLA:

PWG Battle of LA Night One report

Battle of Los Angeles Night II report

His "modern wrestling" line at the end of the second report is ironic as it's impossible to call PWG anything other than modern wrestling from a work standpoint. It's very much big highspot oriented work, though the majority of the workers are smart enough to engage the crowd as well. But if you put this in a time machine and sent it back to the original DVDVR readers in 1996/97 who were eating up lucha, NJ Juniors and MPro, this would stand out to them as something entirely beyond those in spot work.

Entertaining shows.

John
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: May need a bigger arena! Reply with quote

I liked Alvarez's report and thought it was a great show. Maybe the best night at the matches since the old AAA cards at the Sports Arena.

Joey Ryan vs Austin Aries--Going to this thing I didn't know the local wrestlers. The more national indy guys I knew because for the last month I've been trying to catch up with Japanese wrestling from the last few years. This was a good match but it looked like Ryan was totally carried by Aries. I didn't know Ryan & altho he had a good look, didn't seem to do anything special. He was good enough to be carried. I knew Aries from ROH tapes from Japan, or at least thought I did. After Ryan got the win, I joked "there was your winner" which seemed funny at the time. It had the feel of a promoter bring in a bunch of national talent to put over locals. But I knew nothing, not even who was wrestling on the rest of the card.

Claudio Castagnoli over Roderick Strong. Good match & I saw great potential in both guys. I had seen Strong wrestle in Japan beating Davey Richards (10-11-08) and wrestling Kensuke Sasaki (10-12-08) and liked him. Castagnoli had a great look and worked a good style. Cool match between major guys.

Brandon Gatson vs Brandon Bonham. Normal indy crap. Everyone thought it was a bad match. Bonham came out to Bruiser Brody's music which pissed off James & maybe me. Finish seemed messed up. Gatson didn't do much. Forgettable, & I have.

Chris Hero vs Akira Tozawa--Great Match. Better than 4 stars. Great heat & stiff. The AJW chopping stop really worked in this match. Super & the crowd knew it. Tozawa as he was getting a standing ovation, cried standing in the ring because he lost. Very cool & funny. I can't tell you when I've seen a better match live. Don't know how it will look on tape. The thinking at the time was that it would kill the rest of the card because nothing could reach this high again. That was kind of right...maybe.

Joey Ryan vs Claudio Castagnoli--This was a good match with Ryan, once again, being carried. The joke during the match was that the booker was going to put Ryan over Castagnoli, who everyone liked. After Ryan won and a few seconds passed, the crowd broke out in "bullshit chants". The crowd went nut. Seeing a babyface wrestler standing in the ring, as it happened. was the most embarrassing thing I've ever seen happen to a pro wrestling performer. Of course, it was the booker being boo'ed, but that didn't help Ryan. No one wanted Ryan in the final. My thinking was that they might change the booking so Ryan didn't win the tournament which seemed to be the storyline of the night.

It should be said that in 2010, the most over used move in indy wrestling is the superkick. I say that for James.

Chris Hero vs Brandon Gatson---Good match & Gatson showed some cool moves. Hero was the star of the tournament and could do no wrong. In my head, he'll always be a major after this. He's over with me. Hero won with the "stretch plum" (spelling??). One of the few times Kawada's move has beaten anyone. Looked great. The wrestling holds seemed to get over with the crowd all night. It was a very smart and good crowd, having fun.

Chuck & Ryan Taylor & Brian Cage vs Johnny Good time & Rocky Romero & Ricochet--Good match of high spots that fit into the card at the right time. I think I saw Ricochet do Johnny Saint's rolling in a ball spot & the crowd yelled Johnny Saint's name. I thought that happened but maybe in was just in my mind. John thought I was nuts. Also remember someone doing Jimmy Londos' spot of catching himself between the 3rd & 2nd rope as he was being thrown out of the ring. Might have been a different match but it was all very cool seeing young guys doing the stuff. This was a very good 6 man & Ricochet was great. I liked the Taylor brothers too.

Generico & Paul London vs The Cutler Brothers--It was good but the show was over 3 hours by this time. Generico seems to be a superstar with this promotion. It was a ton of fun, but it tirered out the crowd for the tournament final.

Joey Ryan vs Chris Hero--I don't remember much about the match but everyone (really maybe half the fans) hated the idea of Ryan being put over. The match was good, I think, with Hero looking good again. But once Ryan won, the crowd went nuts booing. It was very embarrassing and Ryan didn't have the wrestling sense to get out of the ring. He should have ignored the crowd and left. He kept talking and just made himself look bad. It was the booking that people were upset about anyway, not him.

Williams came up with a million reasons why the booker was locked on Ryan winning and it made sense but if a crowd is unhappy something is wrong. I was willing to forgive & I think everyone knew they had seen a great card. They may need a bigger arena next time.

I might be one of those people that Alvares thinks hates modern wrestling (I don't) but this was a great card and a very interesting night. I'd like to go again. --Steve Yohe
kjh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdw wrote:
His "modern wrestling" line at the end of the second report is ironic as it's impossible to call PWG anything other than modern wrestling from a work standpoint.

Also ironic given that the main problem with "modern wrestling" is the booking and well PWG's booking was pissed on by the crowd. :-)
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to bag too much on Bryan. I suspect that if one asked him, he didn't really mean Modern Wrestling literally but instead WWE & TNA Wrestling / TV Product.

John
jkc31

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joey ryan sucked and threatened to ruin a great night of wrestling. No excuse for him winning.
kjh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdw wrote:
I don't want to bag too much on Bryan. I suspect that if one asked him, he didn't really mean Modern Wrestling literally but instead WWE & TNA Wrestling / TV Product.

I agree we shouldn't bag on Bryan too much, but Bryan wouldn't be half as forgiving if WWE or TNA made a similar booking blunder. Joey Ryan winning the Battle of LA was probably as tone deaf a booking move as Team WWE led by superman John Cena beating Nexus at SummerSlam. PWG may have delivered better action than WWE or TNA does, but they didn't deliver better booking, which is the bigger problem with Modern Wrestling.
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryan gave Chris Hero vs Akira Tozawa 4 3/4 stars. The 6 man got 4 stars. It's the first time I've read his sheet.--Yohe
kjh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PWG News: Davey Richards relinquishes PWG World Title, four-way match between the BOLA semi finalists announced for next show to determine new champion.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bizzare. Would love to know what the story behind that is.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Wrestling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: