The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recent indy cards attended?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the pimping from the PWG Board:

PWG_Silverback wrote:
Pro Wrestling Guerrilla presents Cyanide: A Loving Tribute to Poison on December 11, 2010!
By Silverback, Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Staff Writer

West Hollywood, CA - When one pauses to think of the greatest musical groups of all time, groups that would be worthy of dedicating the naming of an entire Pro Wrestling Guerrilla event after, the list is relatively short. Of course, you have your Beatles, your Led Zeppelins, your Jefferson Starships, but one quartet stands head, shoulders, and hair above the rest: Poison. When Bret Michaels, Bobby Dall, Rikki Rockett, and C.C. DeVille burst on to the scene in 1986 many of those reading this weren't even born, so they may not be fully aware of Poison's impact on the musical and cultural landscape of the planet (those same fans may wish to check if their date of birth is preceded by a Poison tour stop in their hometown approximately nine months earlier). So now it falls on us, Pro Wrestling Guerrilla, to inform the generation of fans that have never known, and to remind the generation that may have forgotten, that Poison is the single most significant musical group of the 20th century. And what better way to do so than by celebrating the band's career on Saturday, December 11 at 8PM in Reseda, CA with Cyanide: A Loving Tribute to Poison!

Those fans wishing to honor the achievements of musical pioneers Poison can do so on Saturday, December 11, 2010 at 8PM at American Legion Post #308 in Reseda, CA at Cyanide: A Loving Tribute to Poison! Those fans that may not be so wild about Poison but wishing to cap off a tremendous year of Pro Wrestling Guerrilla events with one more phenomenal show are also invited to join us on December 11.

Cyanide: A Loving Tribute to Poison is scheduled to feature:

Non-Title Tag Team Match
¡Peligro Abejas! (El Generico & Paul London) vs. Kings of Wrestling (Claudio Castagnoli & Chris Hero)

-- Since the last three Pro Wrestling Guerrilla events have focused primarily on the singles division (with both the Battle of Los Angeles and crowning of a new World Champion taking place), the tag team division has understandably not received its' fair share of the spotlight. However, that is all set to change at Cyanide: A Loving Tribute to Poison when the Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Tag Team Champions, El Generico and Paul London, take on Chris Hero and Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Champion Claudio Castagnoli, the Kings of Wrestling, in a non-title dream match!

There were a number of factors that allowed this tag team dream match to be signed, the most surprising of which had to do with 2010 Battle of Los Angeles winner Joey Ryan. Since Joey won the tournament, but did not win the title at The Curse of Guerrilla Island, he is owed a shot at the champion Claudio Castagnoli and the title, but declined to take it on December 11. When asked why he was so reluctant to fight for the title, Joey answered "At the Battle of Los Angeles I proved I can beat Claudio, and now as champion, he has to live with that hanging over his head. I could challenge him in Janauary, or I could challenge him six months from now, but whenever it happens, Claudio will know he's getting in the ring with the last man to pin his shoulders to the mat."

Without a clear top contender in place for both the World Championship and World Tag Team Championship, Claudio Castagnoli was given the option to team with Chris Hero and face El Generico and Paul London. A victory over the champions at Cyanide: A Loving Tribute to Poison would put the Kings of Wrestling at the top of the list of title contenders, and since only one other man has simultaneously held the World Title and World Tag Team titles (El Generico), Claudio gladly accepted this unique opportunity to potentially expand his entry in the Pro Wrestling Guerrilla history books.

When El Generico and Paul London were asked for their feelings about a possible match with the Kings of Wrestling, the reaction was mixed. Not mixed in the sense that the champions weren't eager to face the Kings of Wrestling, more in the sense that El Generico was gesticulating wildly while speaking his unique brand of Spanish quite excitedly, and Paul London was also very excited, but he was very, very, very laid back about it. So with both sides ready to meet on December 11, it will be you, the fans that are the real winners at Cyanide: A Loving Tribute to Poison when ¡Peligro Abejas! take on the Kings of Wrestling!

Singles Match
"Mr. Wrestling" Kevin Steen vs. Akira Tozawa

-- The last time fans of Pro Wrestling Guerrilla saw Akira Tozawa (aside from that really awkward run in at The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf), he was locked in a David-and-Goliath-esque struggle with Chris Hero at the 2010 Battle of Los Angeles. Except in this retelling of the famous parable, David got his head caved in by a series of elbows and does not go on to be the King of Israel, though there is still time for Tozawa to get a seat on the Knesset. On December 11, Akira Tozawa returns to Reseda to take on yet another big challenge (and big challenger), in the form of "Mr. Wrestling" Kevin Steen.

When fans of Pro Wrestling Guerrilla last saw Kevin Steen, it was on the losing end of a Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Tag Team Championship title shot at DIO! Now that he has had a few months to consider his next move in Pro Wrestling Guerrilla, Kevin Steen has set his sights on regaining the World Championship, which he last held in 2005. And important first step on that path to reclaiming the title would be to defeat a rising star like Akira Tozawa. Will Steen be able to defeat Tozawa and steal his championship momentum, or will Tozawa prove that his loss to Chris Hero was nothing more than a fluke, and that Tozawa could be ready for a shot at the World Championship? Find out on December 11!

Singles Match
Brandon Gatson vs. Joey Ryan

-- As was mentioned before, Joey Ryan has elected not to challenge Claudio Castagnoli for the Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Championship title at Cyanide: A Loving Tribute to Poison, and that left the Board of Directions in quite the predicament. With no real number two contender established, Claudio's first title defense will not come until January at Wrestlereunion 5, but that does allow the Board to create some clarity in the title picture on December 11.

Brandon Gatson was a semi-finalist in the 2010 Battle of Los Angeles, and also a participant in the four-way match to crown a new Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Champion at The Curse of Guerrilla Island, and is once again looking for an opportunity to climb to the top of the ladder. While a win over Joey Ryan would not catapult Gatson to the top of the rankings (Joey's 2010 Battle of Los Angeles win takes precedence), it would firm entrench Gatson in the number two spot, allowing him to challenge the winner of a Claudio and Joey title match down the road. Even though 2011 has yet to begin, important ramifications for the coming year will be determined on Saturday, December 11 at Cyanide: A Loving Tribute to Poison!

Tag Team Match
The Fightin' Taylor Boys (Brian Cage-Taylor & Ryan Taylor) vs. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson)

Singles Match
Roderick Strong vs. "The Kentucky Gentleman" Chuck Taylor

Tag Team Match
The Cutler Brothers (Brandon & Dustin Cutler) vs. RockNES Monsters (Johnny Goodtime & Johnny Yuma)

Singles Match
"Pretty" Peter Avalon vs. Willie Mack
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm working & it doesn't look like a good enough card to take time off for. Who the fuck is Poison?--Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good card, Steve. On the PWG Boards, the local fans were digging the lineup. James was so fired up by it that he left a message on the phone... about five minutes before I called him from work. :)

I think you're coming down with a cold. ;)

John
Kevin Tyler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IHW is having it's last show of the season this Sunday. Weather is too much of a risk factor around here from December through March. Looks like we have no hype show this month. Seems that usually happens for the November show. We must be burned out at the end of the season.

Here are a couple of videos from the October show:
Mr Suave confronts Julien Young, and Young challenges XXL for the iTitle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja9IQgtKJEE
After Titus beat the dastardly Kevin Tyler in a Fans Bring the Weapons match: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdvk8uhOShA

Coming up Nov 14th:
-Chris Cooke defends the IHW heavyweight title against Titus in a Dog Collar Match.
-BT Bobby Mann vs Gros Papa Slash in a street fight
-XXL defends the iTitle
-Mr Suave will reveal his new protoge

www.ihwrestling.com
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yohe was complaining about the upcoming PWG main event being a tag team match that didn't interest him a lot. I've tried to get across that The Kings of Wrestling are a major indy tag team, and that he needs to see them, even if it's non-title. Maybe this helps:

NOAH: ‎12/05/10 Nippon Budokan
GHC Heavyweight Tag Team Championship Match
Takuma Sano & Yoshihiro Takayama (c) vs. Chris Hero & Claudio Castagnoli

We would be getting to see KOW a week after they challenge for the GHC tag titles in Budokan.

Come on Yohe, you need to come. :)

John
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked for the night off. Get me a ticket. Lets skip the Hulk Hogan matches this time.--Yohe
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm off. Good thing I used to date the boss.--Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Phil referenced this elsewhere:

Best Matches: 2010

Phil Schneider wrote:

Quote:
El Generico v. Richochet PWG 10/9

John D. Williams compared this to Misawa v. Jumbo (seriously he did) which is lunatic, but this was a good match. Generico is pretty good as the pissed off veteran punking the kid, and he continues to not annoy me in 2010. I especially loved how he responded to a stiff chop by snap suplexing Ricochet and smacking him in the chops. They built really nicely to Richochets big run of fancy offense, which was a really cool big run of fancy offense. Didn't expect to like this nearly as much as I did.

Here's what I said about the match:

jdw wrote:
Singles Match
El Generico vs. Ricochet

The phrase "Jumbo-Misawa" was being used here. Not *that* great, but a similar concept of the big star (Generico is the most over "home" guy in PWG) working a match to put over the younger super over guy getting a new push. The phrase was getting tossed around *before* Generico put him over.

I'm not sure if it was a better match than Hero-Tozawa from Battle of LA. It wasn't as spotterific as Hero-Tozawa was. From a big picture storyline standpoint, it was much better. Generico played his role just about to perfection, working slow burn early before getting annoyed at the frisky kid pushing him more than "expected", going through a bit of a pissed off section, before work the stretch to the finish playing "surprised" that the kid was kicking out of shit that should have put him down. Ricochet did his stuff well, and is quite an engaging wrestler. But it's a vet that makes matches like this really click, and Generico was very impressive in know exactly how to work this. It's been said a ton of times over the years that this is the type of match that the Big Leagues rarely know how to bring off, or if you think for the moment that they've done it, they quickly bigfoot it.

Didn't say it was as good, or even remotely as good: that's right in the first sentence. But it was similar in nature:

Quote:
Generico is pretty good as the pissed off veteran punking the kid, and he continues to not annoy me in 2010. I especially loved how he responded to a stiff chop by snap suplexing Ricochet and smacking him in the chops.

No, wait... that's what *you* said. :)

What I said:

Quote:
Not *that* great, but a similar concept of the big star (Generico is the most over "home" guy in PWG) working a match to put over the younger super over guy getting a new push. The phrase was getting tossed around *before* Generico put him over.

And that's exactly what it was. Did a good job of it. Generico, as you agreed, was good in the match as vet punking the kid as the match went along and eventually in putting the kid's shit over as you said:

Quote:
They built really nicely to Richochets big run of fancy offense, which was a really cool big run of fancy offense.

Omitting that Generico in the end put him over with the pin.

That was the only point: Big Star (in PWG context) making the Young Hot Shot (in a PWG context) look great, and kind of like Jumbo-Misawa, I'm not sure if the fans in the building really expected Richochet to go over. The enjoyed it quite a bit, which is similar to Jumbo-Misawa.

If we're disagreeing on any of that, let me know. I actually think we saw the match in pretty much the same way, but perhaps would chose a different comp for Vet-Kid. And maybe link next time to what I wrote so that people can see what I'm allegedly being a loon over. I say a lot of loony stuff... not sure if that's one of them. :)

John
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody got mis-quoted by the DVDR guys? The hell you say...

:)

YR
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WrestleReunion 5

Ring of Honor show on January 28
Pro Wrestling Guerrilla show on January 29

Looks like our next shows.

I don't care much about the Convention. But both shows would be interesting. Last year's shows are right above that in the link. Nothing quite announced yet.

John
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm off. Wouldn't mind seeing Mil & Billy Anderson but unless James cares about the convention, I don't. I don't want to drive either.--Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can drive. It's at LAX, so it might be closer to your place, so I can swing by.

John
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still off work because of a screwed up back and I started watching my Japanese tapes from 2009. I'm in June 2009 around the time of Misawa's death.

The June 4 NOAH show has what I think is Chris Hero's first TV match in the promotion. For some reason, they put him in with the promotion's big pushed star...Go Shiozaki. That's strange isn't it? The new white guy in the ring with a pushed star the first night, in a match you knew he had to job in. (Sounds more like WCW booking.) I don't think it's a good match but Hero is a big guy who does all the new moves and wrestles some too. I think he blows Shiozaki away just from his talent & shows everyone Go's weak shots. So Shiozaki finally beats him with some type of suplex & pins Hero. The Japanese crowd loves Hero and start chanting his name until he goes to the dressing room. Shiozaki has to raise his arm & praise his performance. We see that stuff in PWG, but not in Japan.

What I wanted to ask about is....a move or high spot Hero does. He knocks Go out of the ring, then, for no reason, jumps on to the top of the ring ropes....not in the corner but in the middle between the two ring posts....he stands with perfect balance (like Undertakers or Spoilers ring walk)...and then does a perfect (Carpentier style) back flip into the middle of the ring. He then ran across the ring for a tope onto Shiozaki.

I had never seen anyone do that. A balanced jump on to & a back flip off the top rope. And he is a big guy doing that shit. I don't know if I explained that right but I wonder if it's a spot that Hero uses all the time. Has he done that move on LA cards?

That NOAH card was weird, they were doing a lot of brawling out of the ring. Terrible change of style...like they were desperate to be like American wrestling. I don't mind NJW doing it but I want the pure Japanese style in NOAH. Even the Kenta/Ricky Marvin had them fighting on the floor.

It also had the Misawa/Ogawa/Inoue vs Saito/Smith/Fish match which might have been Misawa's last TV match (my guess). Misawa looked terrible. Terrible!!! As bad as anyone you can name. Still took some bad bumps. I bet Bison Smith is glad something didn't happen that night with him doing the move.---Steve Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misawa's last TV match was the one he died in. Taped and aired, though they may have edited the way they did the finish.

John
Iron Chad

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW Steve, Misawa looked terrible in his last match too. It's been awhile since I've seen it, but I'm pretty sure they aired his last match up to just before the finish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Wrestling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: