The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recent indy cards attended?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremy Billones

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen some historic shows live. (Royal Rumble 92, Summerslam 97, Starcade 97.) I've seem some very good shows live (ECWA 9/28/98).

I think this was the best live wrestling card I've ever seen.

The two dark matches were servicable, the Homicide match was tolerable before the MSAC finish, and every other match was good to great.

(It looks like the DVDs hit the store about 2 months after the show.)
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe one of the times I'm out there we can watch the high points of that card, while I can get a dvd of the 2010 Battle of Los Angeles cards and roll out the high points of that (skipping the Strong-London "stuffed shorts" match... though even that turned into a pretty decent match once they got past the trunks jokes).

John
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've become a big fan of PWG. I'll go to any of there shows. It just not good matches, they seem to make good booking decision considering there limitations.

I don't know about buying their DVDs. I seem to have a different view in watching tapes and enjoying myself at a live show. On taped matches, I like a more conservative style with a story rather than all out action. You see the faults easier. Live if everyone is working hard & having fun, it's OK. Something about it being real & in your face makes it interesting. I just want to experience it and not break it down. Put it on tape and I'm looking for perfection, which never happens but...

I've always enjoy going to wrestling matches & seeing live wrestling. Even bad wrestling. I'll do it if I got time. 90% of the wrestling I've seen live in my life time would be ranked as bad. Yes, all the Olympic show I saw as a youth. But there was something I love about being there, even if I was reading a book.

I'm afraid that watching PWG on DVD would take the enjoyment out of it. My memories are more important at this point that my tape collection.

Another thing...I don't want to go back stage, I don't want to know the guys, and I don't want to be smart about everything going on. I just want to be a fan.

Wish they sold really good hot dogs, like at the Olympic.

Sorry if I go off topic, but I'm really old now and was never very smart to begin with.--Steve Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minor ROH card update:

Quote:
Main Event #1- ROH World Title Match
Roderick Strong defends vs. El Generico

Main Event #2- Non Title “Glory By Honor IX” Rematch
World Tag Team Champions The Kings of Wrestling (Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli) vs. Charlie Haas and Shelton Benjamin

World TV Title Match
Christopher Daniels (if still champion) defends vs. Mark Briscoe

Also scheduled to appear:
- Davey Richards
- Jay Briscoe
- The All Night Express
- Colt Cabana
- TJ Perkins
- The Bravado Brothers
- The Cutler Brothers

John
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drip-drip-dripping out card gets two more matches announced:

Quote:
Main Event #1- ROH World Title Match
Roderick Strong defends vs. El Generico

Main Event #2- Non Title “Glory By Honor IX” Rematch
World Tag Team Champions The Kings of Wrestling (Chris Hero and Claudio Castagnoli) vs. Charlie Haas and Shelton Benjamin

World TV Title Match
Christopher Daniels (if still champion) defends vs. Mark Briscoe

A Battle Of Mat Technicians
Davey Richards vs. TJ Perkins

Special Attraction
Colt Cabana vs. Jay Briscoe

Also scheduled to appear:
- The All Night Express
- The Bravado Brothers
- The Cutler Brothers

Additional talent lineup and matches will be announced in upcoming weeks!!!

New ones in red.

I get a kick out of "upcoming weeks". They have 8 days. :)

John
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROH show thoughts:

Curtain Jerker: watchable opener. Nothing great, but solid.

ANX vs Cutlers: feel bad for the Cutlers. This was a disjointed messy match, with too many spots where the teams weren't on the same page or off the mark.

Colt-Brisco: Short. Dumb booking as the face vs face mixed up the crowd on who to get behind. Colt's comedy works well with a heel to play off. Didn't have it here. When they got down to business, it was solid but the fan reactions were poor. Worst match I've seen live due to the booking.

Davey-Perkins: Crowd liked this a great deal, largely due to being very into Davey. I thought Perkins looked good, and didn't see it as largely due to Davey making him look good. If you like Davey, you'd like this match. At worst it was watchable because of the contrast to the two poor matches before it.

Daniels-Brisco: Crowd again mixed up by the face vs face. I'm not a fan of Daniels at all, but once this got going it was solid and eventually pulled the crowd into it. It's Daniels, you can call pretty much every overly choreographed transition and dosey-doh revesal-o-rama... not my cup of tea. If you like these two, you'd probably like the match if you were able to ignore the crowd.

KOW-WGTT: Fans treated this as the main event, and the number that left once it was over was uncomfortable. WGTT were useful for some cool spots, but their work was pretty disappointing. Shelton seemed to be gased at the end of every segment of his, and Haas looked off. KOW was KOW, and very good in making this come off as a strong match to the fans. The fans wanted this to be great, and illusion that makes a match come across better than it really is.

Roddy-Generico: This would have been an excellent match infront of a pure ROH crowd, and a helluva match in Reseda. Dragged down by the chunk of the crowd that left, and a chunk that stayed and weren't into the match. Feel sorry for the two of them because they busted their asses to have a quality main event, even creating doubt in the minds of the fans that Generico could win.

Overall, all three of us were very disappointed in the card. Not having clear heels out here to face, Cabana, the Briscoes and Daniels was just dumb booking.

The convention crowd is the worst I've been in since the 90s. Far too much of the sections around me lost interest in the show and were rambling about anything other than what was in the ring. Lots of heckling, but even beyond the level of the worst heckling in Reseda: this stuff was heat killing crap. There was constant moving around of the crowd, with one annoying bearded dude seeming to leave his seat every match, then come back by before it was over. There was an asshat fan with a Celtics/Rondo jersey on out side. We had another asshat duo in our section who would wander in and out, never going more than 20 seconds after returning before they started hecking the workers. The level of shitfaced/high/stoned fans ran circles around Reseda despite the fabled pitchers in Reseda (and lord knows the mass quantities being consumed there). I can only draw the conclusion that the professional drinkers of the Reseda regulars can hold their hooch better than the convention slapdicks.

I can't imagine how things were down stairs in the booths with wrestlers and sellers having to deal with these jerkoffs. It's not as if I have any sympathy for workers or wrestling merch sellers at all, but this was the type of humanity that you don't wish upon anyone.

John
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't like the building and hated the fans. Wrong side of LA. The side with $21 parking & $6 hotdog. They were selling Red Bull for $9. Can't tell you anything about the wrestling show because I didn't see it.

We got enough trailer trash in LA without going out of state to bring more in. The dumb ass guy with the Rondo Jersey on, I wanted to tie up and drop off in front of the Stable Center at 3:30 on Sunday afternoon. The Celtic team I have OK feeling about but there fans are the biggest assholes in the know world. They all seem like characters out of the movies "THE FIGHTER" or "THE TOWN". And they haven't changed in 45 years. We should set up a gaurd at the border to keep them out. Or give them IQ tests before letting them indoors.

Most of the fans seemed more interested in peeing on the airport Hilton's bathroom floor than anything else. I'm glad they didn't bring there farm animals with them.---Steve Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the PWG show... taken from something I threw up on DVDVR and don't have quite the stamina to re-write it. :)

Very good show.

Alexander & Gatson & LeRae & Mack vs ODB & Avalon & Konley & Manning was a perfectly fine opener. Got the crowd going, moved things along, decent comedy and the usually high spots. Manning's gimmick is pretty weak even in Reseda, and here would be a challenge. He wisely kind of gave up on his usual gimmick spots fast and turned into just another of the heels. Kind of night and day for Gaston compared to the last card: he seemed to want to be anywhere else in the world than in there with Joey on the last one, while here seemed very comfortable with the other seven. ODB got good heat for doing not a hell of a lot, which was perfectly okay as a sub.

Aguila-Bucanero worked the match they need to given the crowd: short, sprint, lots of spots. There was a segment on the floor that was a little hard to see for the majority of the crowd, but whatever the hell they were doing popped the crowd around it enough to make up for the rest of us wanting them to get back in the ring. :) I worried about this one dying if they tried to work a longer, more lucha match. What they did worked for the crowd.

Ryan-Helms... yeah. Fans hated Helms. Problem is that Ryan has mixed reactions from the PWG fans as he's getting the monster heel push since BOLA in reaction to how much the crowd the second night shat all over him. Here he's the defender of PWG and the indies against the cocky prick former WWE'er... except that Joey is playing a cocky prick. Add to it that he's far from exciting, and isn't putting the effort into making his current technical/submission gimmick interesting/exciting... yeah, big problem. Joey's matches these last two PWG shows have been a an island of crappy-heat relative to the rest of the card.

Ki-Richards will be eaten up by Ki or Richards fans, and the fans at the show absolutely ate it up. Good positioning on the cards... might have been a bit less heated if it switched spots with Steen-Hero where the crowd was starting to get tired, but probably would have been more heated than Steen-Hero. There was a decent buzz in the line to get in that this was a match that a lot of fans wanted to see. It certainly delivered. If it were 1999, I probably would find some things to crap on it for. Ki still isn't my type of wrestler, but they did a hell of a job making the majority of the crowd think they were watching a MOTYC.

Jake's match was probably one of the worst matches that I've ever seen that still "worked". Watch it with the sound off, and focus on just the workers and block out crowd-watching as much as possible... and it's pretty pretty poor. One good tease of the DDT... but with no sound you'll be forced to notice that Jake is having a tough time even moving. Yet... it worked quite well. Crowd was batshit for it. It was fairly short. I wouldn't say the "kept it moving" since Jake didn't move well. But they blocked it out reasonably well, and gave the fans what they wanted. Low expectations for it, but at the end of it we were thinking it worked perfectly well. You see a match like that and feel a bit sad that Jake has fucked everything up through the years that he couldn't have it on a WWE show.

Legends Battle Royal might not translate on tape, much like say Perro vs Cien Caras in Tijuana in the mid-90s. Being there, seeing the crowd react and "go along with" the match was a large part of what made it work. The booking wasn't bad at all, not just in terms of who the final two were, but earlier parts of it as well. If you said on paper this thing was going 40 minutes of bell-to-bell time, along with another stretch of pre-match and post match that clocked the whole thing in close to 60 minutes, you'd say it woud be a freaking disaster. It's one of those miracle matches that worked, with a decent amount of credit to the fans who really played along to make it work.

Liked Steen-Hero better than Ki-Richards, but I'd confess to being a pretty big fan of the two (with the exception of Steen's habit of being a too much of a sick fuck with his more dangerous spots). The crowd popped for Ki-Richards more... but they also popped for Jake more than anything on the cards.

The four way tag was a typical spot-o-rama. The teams have worked with each other enough that they had a lot of their shit down, mixing comedy with the high spots and stringing along the fans to wonder who would win. If one likes spot wrestling, they'd like it. I'm far more tolerant of it than I use to, so I'd call it perfect entertaining for what it was.

I liked Claudio-Generico more than Low Ki / Richards, but then I've never liked Low Ki and Richards doesn't blow me away. Don't know what it is about Generico, but him infront of his "home fans" in PWG is very entertaining. I think everyone knew Claudio was winning, especially after Generico lost the night before. Claudio also is over as a face in PWG, getting over rather big at BOLA and sustaining it since. So they were fighting up stream against that, along with the 1 AM start time at the end of a long card that wore the crowd out. The two still drew the crowd in, with the crowd working hard to stay engaged and almost pacing themselves. I know that sound odd, but you kind of had to be there to get a sense of just how worn out the crowd was, and worked at popping for the match. Hoback usually has about twice the energy I do, and it was a struggle for him when it started. They not only drew them in, but actually had the crowd buying Title Change down the stretch... while never even bothering to turn Claudio. A Face vs Face match a 1 AM in the morning with no cheat to get you to root for one or the other... and pulled it off.

I'd have to watch the DVD to pick out the points where Generico's knee selling were indy-spotty if one wanted to quibble, but it was no worse than we'd see in a Flair or Shawn match. And here it ended up playing into the finish, which as a finish was quite nice through again if one wanted to pick out things in the finishing sequence you probably could.

Anyway... all in all, a very entertaining show. The crowd was a 180 degree turn from Friday night ROH show, which was just about the worst I've even been in. Lots of PWG hardcores recognisable from Reseda, and most of them were quick to react to hecklers trying to shit on the matches (as opposed to the usual heckling you get at PWG). They especially made a point of drowning out the worst of the juggaloo shit, to the point that the joggaloos seemed to blow up. :)

John
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PWG announced their DDT4 tourney:

DDT4 Takes Place Friday, March 4, 2011

Quote:
DDT4 Takes Place Friday, March 4, 2011! All 8 Teams Announced!
By Silverback, Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Staff Writer

El Segundo, CA - When a professional wrestling promotion (such as Pro Wrestling Guerrilla, http://www.prowrestlingguerrilla.com) kicks off a new year with a live event like Kurt Russellreunion 2: The Reunioning, it's pretty exhausting. Really, it was an amazing event. You had "Rowdy" Roddy Piper and Terry Funk squaring off for the first time in, like, forever, you had Low Ki returning to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla and making a statement (with his feet… off the top rope… to Davey Richards' face), and you had a phenomenal World Championship Title defense by Claudio Castagnoli against El Generico that occurred well past everyone's bed time. What more could you ask for in a professional wrestling event? Probably not much, which is why we considered packing it in and going on hiatus until 2012.

That is, until we realized that with all the battle royales and retirement matches and title matches that Kurt Russellreunion 2: The Reunioning featured, the one thing it didn't have was a straight-up tag team match. So to make up for that, Pro Wrestling Guerrilla is proud to present the 2011 DDT4, a one-night tag team tournament to determine the number one contender for the Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Tag Team Championship! (Please note, when we say "proud to present," that should be read with a sarcastic intonation, because we would have loved to have taken the rest of the year off.)

Click Here to Purchase Tickets

DDT4, taking place on Friday, March 4, 2011 at American Legion Post #308 in Reseda, CA, will feature eight teams vying for a shot at El Generico and Paul London, ¡Peligro Abejas!, the reigning Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Tag Team Champions and 2010 DDT4 winners. To not only win the 2011 DDT4 but to go on to defeat the previous year's winners and the champions would be a career-defining moment for any of these teams, so competition will be at all-time high. The eight teams scheduled to participate in the 2011 DDT4 are:

1. RockNES Monsters (Johnny Goodtime & Johnny Yuma) - By virtue of their victory in the four-way tag team match at Kurt Russellreunion 2: The Reunioning, the Monsters have secured the top seed in this year's tournament. While both men are still recuperating from the brutal post-match attack by Kevin Steen, Johnny Goodtime and Johnny Yuma are expected to make a full recovery (and may have a little extra fire in their bellies at DDT4, thanks to "Mr. Wrestling"). 2011 will be the RockNES Monsters' first DDT4 appearance.

2. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson) - The Young Bucks are the only previous winners to be entered in this year's tournament, and the only former Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Tag Team Champions to be in the tournament, as well. On top of that, Matt and Nick Jackson hold the record for most DDT4 tournament matches won. The Bucks maintain that since they were not defeated in the four-way tag team match at Kurt Russellreunion 2: The Reunioning, that they should not be prevented from entering the tournament for the third consecutive year. It would appear that the Board of Directors is inclined to agree.

3. The American Wolves (Eddie Edwards & Davey Richards) - Another team making their DDT4 debut, and Pro Wrestling Guerrilla debut for Eddie Edwards. While Edwards would like to make his first appearance a successful one, Davey Richards would like to break his tournament curse. Davey has participated in two previous DDT4s, however his teams have never won a tournament match. Will a new tag team partner be able to change Davey Richards' tournament fortunes?

4. The Cutler Brothers (Brandon & Dustin Cutler) - In recent months Brandon and Dustin Cutler have been on the cusp of Pro Wrestling Guerrilla tag team greatness, but it seems as if the forces of the universe have been conspiring against the brothers. Now heading into their third DDT4 tournament, The Cutler Brothers are planning on taking their fate into their own hands (though they are sacrificing a bull to Zeus, a virgin to Ra, and a Mission Impossible 2 DVD to L-Ron, just to be safe).

5. Kings of Wrestling (Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Champion Claudio Castagnoli & Chris Hero) - While the Kings of Wrestling were defeated by ¡Peligro Abejas! at Cyanide: A Loving Tribute to Poison, Claudio Castagnoli and Chris Hero will not be denied. Though it was not long ago that the Kings were the most dominant tag team in professional wrestling, the memory of those glory days is motivating this team as they enter their second DDT4. A victory on March 4 will bring the Kings of Wrestling one step closer to the World Tag Team Championship, and bring Castagnoli nearer to being only the second man ever to hold the Pro Wrestling Guerrilla double crowns.

6. Brandon Gatson & Willie Mack - After seeing the tag team chemistry between Brandon Gatson and Willie Mack at Kurt Russellreunion 2: The Reunioning, an unlikely advocate petitioned for the duo's inclusion in DDT4: Rock Riddle. While Riddle ultimately failed the get Gatson and Mack to sign the "standard" 40% managerial contract, he did succeed in getting this first-time team a berth in the tournament. Will Brandon Gatson and Willie Mack be able to function as an efficient tag team in the high pressure DDT4 environment? There's only one way to find out!

7. The Briscoe Brothers (Jay & Mark Briscoe) - Though they have been a part of two previous tournaments, making it as far as the finals in 2007, Jay and Mark Briscoe have not been able to overcome the odds to win DDT4. Perhaps the third time will be the charm for the Briscoe Brothers, whose history as a hard-hitting tag team (and closely contested World Tag Team Championship title matches) can only serve to intimidate most potential tournament opposition.

8. "Mr. Wrestling" Kevin Steen & Akira Tozawa - "大虐殺!" said evident polyglot Kevin Steen, and that was all it took to convince Akira Tozawa to join forces at DDT4. Sure, at first Tozawa was more concerned with the safety of his friends and loved ones, but after giving it some thought, perhaps harnessing the destructive energies of Kevin Steen would allow Akira Tozawa to claim his first World Championship during this overseas excursion. Still, at the end of the day, the safest man in the building may be the one standing in Kevin Steen's corner.

This could be fun.

John
eron

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week I worked for a wrestling show in Kingston. I've been doing work for them since September now. I can officially say that I've been ring crew, security, camera man, videographer, editor, web designer, referee, ring announcer, wrestling interviewer and now I can say I've worked in gorilla position for TV. Frank and jdw would be glad to see that none of what I mentioned involved me taking bumps or becoming a wrestler, as they tried to talk me out of it some five or six years ago ;)

It's quite interesting to work for a small independent promotion these days just to see the philosophies and ideals that go around. The promotion I work for (I don't want google catching this and people questioning me for what I've said. If there's one lesson in pro wrestling I tend to ignore, it's keeping my mouth shut) is a bit luckier since it has television. The personalities you can expect in a regular locker room are there, but the biggest danger in independent wrestling seems to be backyarders and shoddy shows that burn towns. All I hear from the promoters and bookers these days from Kingston to Toronto is how too many guys try to start a show with no experience, hire people either for $20 or free and end up burning a town and a local wrestling viewers interest.

It's been fun to experience both sides of the coin on a local television show. I'm a graduated journalism student with media experience so I've been on the production side and my wrestling involvement puts me on that side as well. What I've found is that the costs that are claimed are never what they really seem to be. While pro wrestling isn't something that makes you a lot of money, I sometimes doubt how much money people are losing at the same time.

I'd say more but honestly, I'm afraid of my post getting tagged somewhere and having to get blackmailed from the business. It's a fun thing to do once a month. I'll be leaving Kingston soon and moving closer to the Toronto area, which means better wrestling but bigger egos and less money to be made for promoters (Toronto based promotions still try to book like they are in a 100,000 population city instead of the 2.3 million that Toronto contains). I'll have to go back to working hard to pay my dues and prove my value. Too bad paying dues doesn't pay bills. Oh well :)
Mike Campbell

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squared Circle Wrestling made its return to Binghamton, NY a couple of weeks back and I was lucky enough to attend. The two standout matches were Eddie Edwards vs. Brodie Lee and Slyck Wagner Brown vs. Davey Richards.

Ted DiBaise was the special commissioner for the night, and I posed to him the question of whether or not Jumbo Tsuruta is the greatest of all time (quite the hot topic on the interweb). Ted didn't think he was the GOAT, but said he was amongst the GOAT as far as strictly Japanese wrestlers go.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next PWG show, which looks like it's back on a Saturday night:

PWG_Silverback wrote:
Pro Wrestling Guerrilla's WINNING on April 9, 2011 in Reseda, CA
By Silverback, Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Staff Writer

East Ayrshire, CA - As Pro Wrestling Guerrilla moves further into 2011, it has become abundantly clear that we are in a serious need of a large financial influx if we have any hope of maintaining the lavish state of our offices. Gold Segway Personal Transport Systems (or "scooters," to the unwashed masses) are wonderful for zipping around to-and-fro, but the gold dents like you wouldn't believe. Especially during the weekly Segway polo matches at the warehouse. And no one quite realized just how difficult it would be to keep a quarter-operated gumball machine filled with Beluga caviar. Getting the caviar in isn't the problem, but installing an efficient refrigeration system in a century old antique is no small task.

It is because of these monetary setbacks that we are hoping to entice one of, nay, THE most charismatic former star of a truly unwatchable, yet somehow highly rated, network television comedy to our team of investors. Sure, spending $30,000 on a prostitute may lift your spirits for a single night, but imagine how much enjoyment could be derived from installing a pneumatic tube system in our office? Yes, we could easily send documents around at high speeds, but we could also stick sandwiches in there! Imagine that! All we would need to do would be to think of a sandwich, and then THWOOMP!, a cylinder with lunch in it would arrive! Thirsty for a Diet Coke? THWOOMP!

We feel that the pneumatic tube idea, along with naming our next event WINNING, is more than enough to convince any potential investor to come on board. So while we wait in the mailroom for the checks to come in, why don't you guys entertain yourselves with the lineup for WINNING, taking place on Saturday, April 9, 2011 at American Legion Post #308 in Reseda, CA. WINNING is scheduled to feature:

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Championship Title Match
Claudio Castagnoli (Champion) vs. Joey Ryan (Challenger)

-- The weekend that Claudio Castagnoli returned to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla in 2010 also happened to be one of the greatest weekends in the career of Joey Ryan. While Claudio was busy reminding fans of what they had missed during his absence, Joey Ryan was superkicking his way through the 2010 Battle of Los Angeles. In the Semi-Final round, Joey and Claudio's paths crossed, and it was there that Claudio's return was stopped short, as he was defeated by Joey Ryan. Joey would go on to win the tournament, but a month later, Claudio Castagnoli would go on to defeat Joey for the vacant Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Championship title. Not a bad tradeoff for Claudio.

However, that was the start of a waking… nightmare is too strong of a word. Annoyance, perhaps? The start of a waking annoyance for Claudio Castagnoli. After winning the title at The Curse of Guerrilla Island, Claudio began to receive crank phone calls at all hours of the night, unwanted pizzas delivered to his home, and strongly worded letters stuffed into his gym bag. While there is no direct evidence linking Joey Ryan to these infantile pranks, Joey was overheard bragging to the locker room at DDT4 that he is the psychological chessmaster of Pro Wrestling Guerrilla. When Claudio caught wind of this, he remarked "Joey? Chess? More like Candy Land."

While the games outside of the ring are meant to annoy Claudio, Joey's actions inside the ring are meant to intimidate the World Champion. Dubbing himself the "Hollywood Submission Machine," Joey Ryan has racked up victories over Brandon Gatson, "Supernatural" Shane Helms, and Candice LeRae in recent months using his bodylock kimura submission hold. Though he did not use the hold to defeat Claudio at the 2010 Battle of Los Angeles, Joey's ability to break down his opponents and effectively apply the submission maneuver must give the World Champion some cause for concern.

Will Joey Ryan's campaign of psychological warfare pay off and return the Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Championship to his possession, or will Claudio Castagnoli prove that his loss to Joey at the 2010 Battle of Los Angeles was an aberration, and that the Most Money Making Man in Professional Wrestling is also the Most WINNING?

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Tag Team Championship Title Match
El Generico & Ricochet (for Paul London - Champions) vs. The Young Bucks (Matt & Nick Jackson - Challengers)

-- When Matt and Nick Jackson, The Young Bucks, emerged as the overall winners at last Friday's DDT4 tournament, it seemed like history was repeating itself. After all, it was just under two years ago that The Young Bucks won the tournament for the first time, defending their World Tag Team Championship titles three times in the process. And it was just under a year ago that brought the titles to another DDT4 tournament, defending them twice in one night before ultimately being defeated by current champions El Generico and Paul London, ¡Peligro Abejas!

Now, as the only team to ever win DDT4 twice, The Young Bucks are prepared to cement their position at the top of the Pro Wrestling Guerrilla tag team rankings for good when they challenge for the World Tag Team Championship at WINNING on April 9.

While The Young Bucks are prepared for many things, a ruling by the Intergalactic Council of Planets certainly was not one of them. Delegates from all corners of the galaxy convened at the behest of Earth's representative, "Intrepid Traveler" Paul London. It seems that Representative London has been called away on space business for the Earth month of April, and wished to elect a suitable replacement for himself to defend the Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Tag Team Championship alongside El Generico. By an overwhelming 879-2 margin, the Intergalactic Council of Planets voted that Ricochet should replace Paul London at WINNING. The two votes against were from Querl Dox, of Colu, who predicted a catastrophic event for Earth were London not to team with El Generico, and Dejah Thoris, of Mars, who wished for a Barsoomian wrestler to take London's place.

Therefore, based on the precedent set at Life During Wartime, and the ruling by the Intergalactic Council of Planets (which supersedes the Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Board of Directors' authority), on Earthdate April 9, 2011, The Young Bucks, Matt and Nick Jackson, will challenge El Generico and Ricochet for the Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Tag Team Championship titles.

Singles Match
Low Ki vs. Roderick Strong

-- Making his long-awaited return to Pro Wrestling Guerrilla at Kurt Russellreunion 2: The Reunioning, Low Ki defeated the only other man currently in Pro Wrestling Guerrilla to have vacated the World Championship title and not receive a rematch, Davey Richards. With that victory over Richards, Low Ki finds himself back in the World Championship title picture, along with perennial contender Roderick Strong. Though Roderick has been near the top of the Championship mountain before, he has never been able to take that final step and secure the title. A victory at WINNING on April 9 will elevate the winner closer to the top of the rankings. Also, the Board of Directors is fairly confident that this match will be just as hard hitting and entertaining as their 2008 Battle of Los Angeles encounter, so why not have these guys brutalize each other again?

Tag Team Match
RockNES Monsters (Johnny Goodtime & Johnny Yuma) vs. "Mr. Wrestling" Kevin Steen & Akira Tozawa

-- At Kurt Russellreunion 2: The Reunioning, "Mr. Wrestling" Kevin Steen announced his plans to compete in 2011's DDT4 in a most dramatic way: by attempting to paralyze Johnny Goodtime and Johnny Yuma after they had just won a berth in that very tournament. Unfortunately for Steen (but fortunately for the RockNES Monsters), he was unsuccessful in both winning the tournament and paralyzing Goodtime and Yuma. Though they are usually quite reserved, the RockNES Monsters were quite perturbed at their treatment at the hands of Steen, and were hoping to gain some measure of revenge during DDT4. Again, it was just not meant to be, as the teams did not meet in the tournament. But at WINNING on April 9, a fresh and fiery Johnny Goodtime and Yuma will take on the men that reached the finals of the 2011 DDT4, but ultimately came up short: Kevin Steen and Akira Tozawa.

Singles Match
Willie Mack vs. Brian Cage-Taylor

Singles Match
"Pretty" Peter Avalon vs. Ryan Taylor

Singles Match
Candice LeRae vs. Portia Perez

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla's WINNING takes place Saturday, April 9, 2011, at 8:00 PM at American Legion Post #308 in Reseda, CA. American Legion Post #308 is located at 7338 Canby Ave., Reseda, CA 91335.

John
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little light in terms of depth.

Tag Title probably will change hands: Paul London is out, and Ricochet pinch hits for him with Generico. That said, we've had some luck with Ricochet matches.

Claudio-Joey is interesting simply to see if Claudio can end Joey's run of weak matches. Also if Joey wins, just how pissed off the fans will get.

Low Ki vs. Roderick Strong... I'm not Low Ki fan. And Strong is a face in PWG despite the heel run in ROH at the moment... will be interesting if he heels it up since the fans like Low Ki a lot.

SteenZawa were quite good at DDT4... actually, the RockNES have been a watchable tag team as well. But this is something of an odd match up: RockNES are face, and the fans faced up SteenZawa.

Not a great hook in the prelims. Wondering where Gaston is. Mack & Gaston vs Taylors would have been an interesting undercard match.

John
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we going April 9? No one has said anything yet.---Yohe
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was planning on skipping it. We have no tickets right now. :)

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Wrestling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: