The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deadspin: Real Encounters With Wrestlers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Deadspin: Real Encounters With Wrestlers Reply with quote

Deadspin has a running feature called Virgilbag, in which they post tales of reader encounters with pro wrestlers.

The Aug. 1 entry tells the tale of RVD dropping a Whopper on the ground and eating it and a bunch of Ric Flair tales -- including one where he does the Flair Flop on the back seat of an SUV.

http://deadspin.com/5930653/rob-van-dam-ate-a-whopper-off-the-ground-more-wrestler-run+ins?tag=virgilbag

For the record, this entry is why it's called the Virgilbag:

http://deadspin.com/5915910/our-readers-run+ins-with-virgil-pro-wrestlings-saddest-man?tag=virgilbag
Kronos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Deadspin: Real Encounters With Wrestlers Reply with quote

Bob Morris wrote:
Deadspin has a running feature called Virgilbag, in which they post tales of reader encounters with pro wrestlers.

The Aug. 1 entry tells the tale of RVD dropping a Whopper on the ground and eating it and a bunch of Ric Flair tales -- including one where he does the Flair Flop on the back seat of an SUV.

http://deadspin.com/5930653/rob-van-dam-ate-a-whopper-off-the-ground-more-wrestler-run+ins?tag=virgilbag

For the record, this entry is why it's called the Virgilbag:

http://deadspin.com/5915910/our-readers-run+ins-with-virgil-pro-wrestlings-saddest-man?tag=virgilbag

I have sympathy for RVD and the burger. One night, I spent my only few bucks of cash on some Burger King. Walking the three blocks home, the bag tore. I didn't have any food at home and no more cash for another order. So I gathered everything up off the ground as best I could (mostly, it was fries that went everywhere), took it home the rest of the way, and ate it.

Thanks for this blog. I can't stop reading those vignettes. My favorite is the kids who were on a plane with Rick Rude. And Undertaker shopping at Home Depot.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Flair Flop is fucking great. :)
Kronos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I think I have read them all now. Great, great stories.

I am amazed at how well Hogan comes across in all the stories. I would have thought he'd be a real dick to everyone except maybe little kids.
Yakuza Rich

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read them as well and outside of the fanboy pieces, they've been really good. Although having met most and talked to most of the wrestlers mentioned (oddly enough, Virgil is not one of them), I buy into these stories knowing the wrestler's real life personalities. The Goldust one had me howling.

YR
Mike Campbell

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if they'll accept second hand stories? My father has a great story about briefly talking to Jeff Jarrett, and not even realizing who he was until about five minutes after he'd left. But it's not MY story, and I doubt if Dad even remembers it (he's getting up there in age, he has yet to call my youngest daughter by her correct name).
Scott

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was 1997 or 1998...there was a Peach State Wrestling show at a high school gym out in the middle of nowhere in a fairly rural county. There were two roads that crossed near the school. One went where we (and most other people) wanted to go, the other went out into the country.

The main event was Cactus Jack and Ron Simmons vs. The Steiners. After the show, it was pitch dark out, and the roads were not lighted at all once one got away from the school. We left, and went down the country road a few miles before we figured out it was the wrong way and went back to the school. While we were there and trying to figure out which road was the right one (it was that disorienting at night), a car pulled up next to us and rolled the window down. It was Rick Steiner and a lady friend. Rick asks us if we know the way to "Ellieville" (it's pronounced Ell-uh-ville, but I didn't correct him). I told him we were trying to figure that out ourselves. We eventually figured it out and got home.

Yeah, I know, Cool Story Bro. :P

Scott
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met Victor the Bear.--Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Wrestling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: