The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lost

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremy Billones

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: Lost Reply with quote

I'm only 3 pages into the Television Without Pity thread for the finale, and
the only thing I'm certain of is that after Lost, there will never be another
TV series where the writers don't assume the viewers are idiots.

The majority of the posts are negative, and they are negative because
they misunderstood the ending -- interpreting it as meaning that
everyone (or just Jack) died in the plane crash and this is a redo of
Jacob's Ladder or St. Elsewhere.

There's one or two things I would have done differently, but I thought it
was a pretty good finale and probably deserves the nom for the Emmy
that they all-but-announced it was going to win.

And the Target ads were hillarious :)
CTC

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How, exactly, did the writers of Lost not assume we're idiots? And god-bothering idiots at that?

Sorry. I can deal with the good & evil allegories and the Lost-flavor of "supernatural" we've had throughout the series, but to boil it all down to "They're in Heaven Or Some Place Like It" is nearly the worst ending they could have had. The "it's all a dream sequence" thing worked for Jacob's Ladder and would have fallen miserably flat here. But this ending really isn't much better, and it's certainly no more original.

A satisfying conclusion would have been to see the sideways universe play out straight. "There is no Jacob, there is no smoke monster, there is no otherworldly force playing you for pawns: you're FREE to decide where your life goes, and that's BETTER than being watched over by anything or anyone. Now go live." And armed with the knowledge of how much worse things could have turned out if the plane had crashed, they would have done just that. Of course, this wasn't going to happen - it was telegraphed with the likes of Kate, Sayid, and Desmond getting boosted from jail.

Then again, if the current reactions are negative, I can only imagine the shitstorm that would ensue if the ending I would have preferred had actually been written. "But what does it all mean? What does it all mean?!?!" the rubes would have cried; it would have meant it's not all up to some invisible fairy to tell you what it means. Decide for yourself. There's power in that.

"Freedom of choice is what you got,
Freedom from choice is what you want." - DeVo
DalyCityTrain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPOILERS
+
RAMBLINGS

I caught up with S6 a week ago, and while I enjoyed parts of the season overall, I'm still feeling now that it was the worst of all possible endings.

For starters, it undermines or at least dodges the most apparent driving conflicts of the show's run. "Are the events of our lives significant links in a chain moving forward, or are we trapped in a futile circle? Hahahaha Neither!!!"

But even forgetting all that for a minute. Even for the specific choice made, the sequence in the church was as badly executed as I could imagine. As one critic put it, it looked like they filmed the cast wrap party and just showed that. Any speech by Jack or even just a feeling of subdued anticipation or mystery about the great unknown that lies ahead would've been less self-congratulatory.

It fell back on one of my least favorite storytelling mechanisms. The "pictures in a photo album" mentality...where the characters look back (with a distance and hindsight I'm denied as a viewer) and say "Everything that seemed so difficult at the time, we were actually just making wonderful memories." It's a failure of memory and imagination.

But it's doubled because it drew attention to itself *as* being the end of a show, and a counterpoint to the tone of the rest of the show, so it's supposed to be OUR goodbye as well. How much deeper into self-promoting TV can you get than to pretend as though the memories and experiences of the characters are the viewers' actual memories?! So I'm expected to say "All that time I was hooked in by cliffhangers and expecting bigger revelations, really I see now it was just about the time I got to spend..... watching a TV show..." (And Ben *sniff* Sweet Ben...I think I'll miss you most of all...)

Anyways, snark mode off. While the added layers and paradigm shifts and "worlds-within-worlds" from season to season were often the most exciting parts, I do think these levels of continuity, duration, and "maturity" in modern TV make for some diminishing returns. My basic example: Let's say a show starts with a major character trying to hunt down the men who killed his wife. It becomes increasingly difficult and twisted. These days, if that show makes it to a 4th season, he's going to eventually fall in love with someone else, and very reluctantly give up his chase, be forced to let go, and try to live a new life. This may be an interesting or more realistic choice, although no longer anything fresh. Then, in let's say the 5th season finale, he shockingly discovers his new GF/wife was involved in the killings of his original wife. On paper it seems like a jolt that could add resonance, but it's actually the original plot filtered thru years of anticlimax. That's what I feel like happened to most of the characters on LOST.
Jeremy Billones

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DalyCityTrain wrote:
For starters, it undermines or at least dodges the most apparent driving conflicts of the show's run. "Are the events of our lives significant links in a chain moving forward, or are we trapped in a futile circle? Hahahaha Neither!!!"

Seemed more like Both to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: