The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

General TV Series
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Midline Shift

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How about THE KILLING? Haven't seen either.

I liked the Killing but I'm solidly in the minority. There were tons of complaints about it (especially the ending) and I agree with most of them, they just didn't bother me as much as they did everyone else. I thought it was well acted and had a good atmosphere. Then again, I'm a sucker for a show with a Big Reveal (even though they didn't actually reveal anything, the bastards).

Quote:
My next watch will probably be the Claire Danes showtime series HOMELAND

I fucking loved Homeland. Can't wait for the second season.

Simon
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note to self on summer shows debuts:

The Glades: Sun 6/3
Suits: Thu 6/14
White Collar: Tue 7/10
Leverage: Sun 7/15

Around the World in 80 Plates: Wed 5/9

That one looks like it might be replacing Top Chef Masters in the Bravo Food rotation.

John
tdcheetah

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/cbs-cancels-csi-miami-rob-unforgettable-gifted-man-184457568.html

CSI Miami: the first of the CSIs to be cancelled!

Somewhere, John will be dancing in the streets...

Lee
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo-hoo~!

'CSI: Miami' canceled by CBS: So long, Horatio Caine

Quote:
The network will apparently leave intact the original "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation," as well as the other spinoff, "CSI: NY." Still, the news marks the beginning of the end for one of TV's most successful franchises of the past decade. "CSI: Miami" had dealt with depressed ratings and sharply increased production costs in recent seasons.

Yeah, ratings down and costs are high. There were reports that either Miami or NY would get the bounce, and the odds slightly in favor of Miami staying... but those same authors didn't know the details on cost and how it's doing around the world.

Suspect NY will be gone next year.

CSI added Ted Danson and Elisabeth Shue this year (with Marg Helgenberger and Laurence Fishburne leaving). Marg was making good money, but also was willing to work a reduced schedule to help keep costs down. Ted has a track record of being one of the highest paid actors in TV: he was #1 in Cheers and they "lured" him back to TV in Becker with a big payday. But from TV guide indicated he's $225K to Fish's $350K per episode, that's $2.75M in savings. Marg was making a lot, somewhere up in the #375K an episode range. Shue is down from that. They have other actors in the "reduced schedule" like Jorja Fox, so they've actively tried to keep the cost down enough to keep it renewed. But it did drop from #12 in the ratings to #20 last year, and around the same range this season. It's likely that Danson was a "one last try" to keep things going. Since its ratings are higher than Miami, it was easy to keep it.

John
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts on the Russo-Reset of The Mentalist in the Season 3 Opener are back on page 3. The whole season has largely been a waste of time. It's still The Jane Show, with every cop on the show an idiot. We get to the end of Season 4 with another big tease of Red John, which is just a tease and gets Jane no closer to Red John. We'll go into next year with the Heel Female Red John Protege dragged along for a while, but really who cares at this point.

The subplot storylines where "eh" as well. Cho is the best non-Jane character in the series. We spent the season with his relationship with his loser CI, which really led nowhere. We spent a chunk of it with his growing painkiller addiction, but it was so tedious that I honestly don't remember/know how it was ever resolved or if it was. I spent a lot of episodes just using the show as background noise while doing other things.

Rigsby's girlfriend had the kid, and it was a completely useless plotline. We're suppose to see some growth on Rigsby, but it's tedious as well. The girlfriend has been boring from the start. It's added nothing to his interaction with Van Pelt.

In turn, Van Pelt's character was on cruise control this year with nothing interesting to do. Since her post-Rigsby boyfriends keep turning out to be Red John proteges, they've run that into the ground. There's almost a sense that Mentalist Creative realises that they went to the well way too early with Rigsby-Van Pelt, have nothing for the two sense then, and giving Rigsby a kid is the only way they can wedge them apart and... fuck it, that's putting too much thought into it. Just a total mess with those two characters.

The revolving door of the Supervising Agent continues with a younger guy this season: Wainwright. He added literally nothing to the season, largely because the writers gave him nothing of interest to do nor developed his character at all. He gets killed off in the season ended, and it's totally out of left field. I went back and re-watched from the last time we saw him until we saw him dead in the car, and for the life of me I just don't see any clues on how or why he ended up in there. It's a "shocker" that not only didn't mean a thing (since no one could possibly give a shit about him) and just seemed tossed out there. Russo anyone?

There are hints all around of Jane and Lisbon hooking up at some point, probably right before Jane kills off Red John. It's The Jane Show, so of course he's going to end up with the other lead in the show... add another non-original thing about the show.

This has to be the worst written show that I've ever invested 4 seasons in. As self contained throwaway episodes, they *might* be watchable for just The Jane Show if you truly don't give a crap about Lisbon (or anyone else) having a brain. I almost could put up with the annoyance that the Red John storyline won't be put to bed until the Series Finale, and that every character in the show is largely there as a prop... if Lisbon was actually smart and ahead of Jane on some things. Instead, the writers make her rather not bright, and not a good cop.

I've draw the contrast to Castle in the past. It's not like Castle is The Wire... but compared to The Mentalist, it really is. Beckett will stooge for Castle, and roll her eyes at him, and get annoyed with him. But the writers go out of their ways to try to get across that she's a good cop. Castle *helps* her, and to a degree brings out some good cop work from her by looking at things in a different way. But she's ahead of him often, she knocks down his goofy ideas that are going nowhere, and actually teaches him. In turn, even the sidekick detectives are given moments to look smart and like cops. We've also had a lot of effort into developing Beckett's character over the years, along with Castles. Neither is the same person they were at the begining, and having not seen the last 4 episodes of the season but having seen the promos, it's clear that they are going to be developed more.

I can excuse my Castle watching by saying it's light entertainment, professionally put together, with an extremely likeable cast, has a good number of laughs for me, will during a season tug my heart on occassion, and the writers have put some effort into developing folks. It ain't Deadwood, but not everything needs to be Deadwood and I'm at a stretch in my life where I like some light entertainment. Perhaps... just perhaps... the lighter stuff I seem to be watching in the past 4-5 years is filling up the space the pro wrestling once did on a weekly basis. After all, pro wrestling is a garbage form of entertainment, about as light as it comes, and even I don't think the 06/03/94 Misawa vs Kawada is Deadwood... though it might be the Deadwood of Pro Wrestling. ;)

I can't excuse my watching of The Mentalist. Season 2 was poor in terms of not developing folks, and Red John getting dragged out. Season 3 was more of the same, but with LaRoche as a clear heel within CBI and some promise of progress on Red John, it was just enough to keep me watching and hoping that we'd have a major break through at the end of the season. Bingo, we did... Red John is dead... extra bonus that it was West Wing Josh. Then the Russo Reset this season, and done right off the bat rather than even having it pop up in the Season Finale: we could have had a full season of Jane putting his life back together after his resolution with Red John... only to find out that he was completely wrong. Yes, that would have been a Russo Rest, but they could have dropped a couple of clues, perhaps even Lisbon picking up on them but shaking her head that it can't be... and then in the Season Finale drop it like a rock, devastating Jane's new life. That's some halfway decent writing.

Instead, it was the insta-Reset, followed by a useless season, capped by a useless Season Finale that leads into another long tease next year. Time to check out.

John
tomk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdw wrote:
Note to self on summer shows debuts:

Around the World in 80 Plates: Wed 5/9

That one looks like it might be replacing Top Chef Masters in the Bravo Food rotation.

John

It is an odd show.

1) The commericals for "Golden Corral brings you their favorite moments from Chopped"....I haven't watched Chopped in a long time...but if I were a fan of chopped, it is a show who's subtext is "never eat at golden corral".

2) Around the World in 80 Days has done a really good job of exposing the weaknesses of a bunch of contestants with overinflated senses of self worth. A big part of the pleasure of reality TV and cooking competition shows is screwing with guys with overinflated egos.

But you also have to demonstrate that these guys do have some cooking skills.

Around the World in 80 Plates is so focused on showing "these guys aren't as good as they think they are" that they have yet to show me if these guys have any talent at all.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn... I totally forgot that show was on. :)
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be interested if Simon and DalyCityTrain made it through Season 2 of The Killing. Season Finale (and probably Series Finale) aired, driving people nuts again:

Dead on Arrival: The Killing comes to a sodden, limp end

John
DalyCityTrain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only watched a few episodes of The Killing after souring on it last season. Interestingly a few critics thought it improved in Season Two. But as far as I could tell, that was mostly about it settling into a formula (each ep ends with a cliffhanger and/or new suspect which is deflated at the start of the next one) and writing for the main characters rather than pretending to be something more fresh or ambitious.

The final reveal was nothing that would make you say "Okay, I can see what they were doing" in hindsight. More like throw some darts at character names and there are your killers.
DalyCityTrain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a couple months late, but Kronos asked about The Good Wife. I wanted to say how much I love the show. It's like half network procedural in it's weekly format, but visually and in terms of having some intelligent continuity and a deep cast of characters it's more like an HBO or Showtime series.

I'd say it walks the same line as Justified between the two styles, except think glossy legal/political drama with a female lead. From what I've read here on TOA and people who enjoy some of the same stuff I do, I think The Good Wife would be very much in you guys' wheelhouse.

But I recommend starting with the S2 DVDs rather than S1. You can go either way, but S1 has some serious growing pains early on as the show fights becoming the usual CBS stuff and morphs into a quality program. S2 does a lot of the things S1 did over again and better. Also, Alan Cumming doesn't jump on board until the end of S1 and S2 has the election plot which is what made some critics overzealously compare it to The Wire (it's NOT that, but it is very good in it's own way).
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCT: thanks on the info on The Good Wife. Had been thinking about that one as well, and glad to see the thumbs up.

As someone who suffered through years of The Mentalist's nonsense, I'm guessing that I can make it through the first season's growing pains. I'm also a bit of a Noth fan from his Law & Order days, so I would guess that he and Margulies would help carry me through season 1. It's also cool to see a show that finds it's stride at a point, shifting from "watchable" to "hey, wait a minute... did this just get good on us"? :)

John
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just broke down and picked up Season 1 of Mad Men. Have until the 4th off, so a Friday Night through Wednesday Night fits in nicely for breaking in something new.

I know the hype and awards and raves. Also get the sense that Mad Men Creative thinks they're creating the greatest thing since sliced bread, which tends to annoy me. :)

Watched the first two episodes last night. Solid, well put together, strong acting, certainly stylish, and clearly gives off the "We Put A Lot Of Fucking Thinking Into This" vibe... to the point of it almost being an odor. :/ That was a reason that I never really got hooked by Lost when flipping over onto it: far too Russo/Heyman in "Look At What Fucking Super Geniuses We Are" hijinks, to the point of it looking like creative masturbation. I never got that sense from the Wire, though obviously the put a lot of thought into it... and Deadwood put an insane amount of thought into everything they did, but in turn it was so grounded and naturalist in how it came out that it never quite seemed like jerking off. Worry a bit.
Midline Shift

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Would be interested if Simon and DalyCityTrain made it through Season 2 of The Killing. Season Finale (and probably Series Finale) aired, driving people nuts again:

I agree with DCT that the ending was pretty lame. If felt like the writers thought the twist of Jamie being the killer wasn't enough so they threw in a second twist of Rosie's aunt being the one to actually finish her off. It was kind of dumb but not nearly as annoying as the Season One finale.

I thought this season was more of the same from last, both good and bad. In the end I would say I liked the show and certainly don't feel like I wasted my time (unlike a lot of other viewers) but at the start it seemed like The Killing might be up there with Breaking Bad and Man Men and it didn't come anywhere close.

Quote:
I just broke down and picked up Season 1 of Mad Men.

Do you love Joan and Roger like the rest of us? :P

Simon
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to see if I can put together a post about Mad Men when I finish Season 1. My reaction to it has been... odd. :/
Rian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It gets better. Wife and I thought it dragged a bit in spots when we got into it on Netflix, couple of story lines are pointless but it does it's job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: