The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

General TV Series
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like Justified, I recommend Chris Ryan's Season 3 recaps:

Grandtland: Justified

Go to the bottom, then one up for S3E1. The rest are further up the page in order, intermingled with a couple of other articles tagged with Justified.

He has a good feel for the show, has fun with it, isn't shy about poking it... but has a strong love for it in a fun way. Massive spoiler alert, so don't read any before you watch an episode.

John
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun Chris Ryan write up of S3E5 of Justified:

The Ugly Organ: Justified Season 3, Episode 5

John
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Very Angry Man: Justified Season 3, Episode 8
Kronos

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Mad Men season 5 premiere Reply with quote

Well, I thought Mad Men scored well tonight. Lots of humor and tension. Roger Sterling makes me so uncomfortable. And I hated Don's Megan - but I'm coming around.

The best moments were the Peggy and Pete scene as well as Joan's breakdown (and Lane handling her so perfectly). Christina kicked ass this ep, going from overwhelmed outsider to Queen of the Office in about 60 seconds.

As usual, Joan pwns.
Jeremy Billones

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Breakout Kings Reply with quote

I've been watching Breakout Kings Season One on Netflix. It's a pretty
generic procedural -- US Marshalls use team of cons (working off their
sentences) to catch escapees. It's competently done.

Though I fell out of my chair when epsiode 3 started and it was about
Theodore Bagwell breaking out of Fox River again. I looked it up and
yes, the executive producers of BK are the same guys who did Prison
Break so they didn't need to pay off any lawyers to write that particular
fanfic :)
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breakout Kings season 1 just came out on DVD and season 2 is just starting. Sounds like it might be worth checking out. :)

John
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Mad Men, one of these years I might need to get the dvds. Despite the hype, I haven't watched any of it yet.

John
Kronos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdw wrote:
On Mad Men, one of these years I might need to get the dvds. Despite the hype, I haven't watched any of it yet.

John

I think seasons 1-4 are on netflix, so it might be worth $8 if you don't have the service. Also, the seasons are only 13 eps, so you can make it through a season without too much time commitment.

One warning: The seasons have a tendency to lag a bit in the middle. It's a weird pattern where they start out strong, flounder a bit in the middle 4 or 6, and then go out with a bang. So if you find that happening -- especially in season 2 and 3 -- then be patient. The end is always worth it.
Kronos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last weekend, I watched all of GAME OF THRONES, and I was pleased to find that the new season starts very soon. Superb acting and writing all around.

While live tweeting the Mad Men Premiere last night, I saw some people talking about THE GOOD WIFE.

Any thoughts on that series? How about THE KILLING? Haven't seen either.

My next watch will probably be the Claire Danes showtime series HOMELAND, now that I have cable. It's all available ON-DEMAND, and it's only 12 eps.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to be a DVD buyer rather than a Netflixer. :)

On some of the other items...

Kronos wrote:
Last weekend, I watched all of GAME OF THRONES, and I was pleased to find that the new season starts very soon. Superb acting and writing all around.

This is one where I'd rather read the books first than see the TV first. And the books aren't on my radar to read anytime soon. I can take some comfort that the DVDs will be out there for years to come, and at decreasing prices by the time I get to them. :P

Quote:
While live tweeting the Mad Men Premiere last night, I saw some people talking about THE GOOD WIFE.

Any thoughts on that series?

Haven't watched it... have seen the good reviews over the years. Have some interest to eventually watch it.

Quote:
How about THE KILLING? Haven't seen either.

Haven't seen either. I think up the thread DalyCityTrain and Simon (Midline Shift) watched the US version and had some thoughts. Simon liked it more than DCT. The original might be a better offering.

John
Kronos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdw wrote:
I tend to be a DVD buyer rather than a Netflixer. :)

Understood. The discs do often come with extras, like deleted scenes and commentaries. And sometimes, like with the Smallville Complete Series box, you get really rare stuff. That box came with the pilot of the 1960's Superboy tv show. It's kind of crappy, but it's a neat and rare item.

Plus, I have a pattern of spending too much on things like DVDs and CDs and Books and Comics. Then when I need cash, I sell them off at a big loss. Converting to various forms of digital media has kept me from getting rid of stuff.

:)
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murder One - The Complete First Season

Watching Season 1 of this, and totally intend to skip Season 2. :)

If you can put your mindset into an 1980s / early-to-mid 90s pre-Sopranos / The Wire / Deadwood era, this is pretty damn enjoyable. It's a Steven Bochco creation, so stylistically it's going to have more 80s feel than say Homicide already debuting and being a strong forerunner of the Sopranos era. The positives:

* Season Long Murder Arc

It has a primary murder case that is the focus of the entire first season. That doesn't mean that there aren't some other side cases they're working on early in the season, but those are largely used to help us get to know some of the supporting characters: the other lawyers in the firm, the second investigator, etc. The primary focus is on the The Goldilocks Murder. Since it's 23 episodes in the season, you have roughly 16 hours to tell the story and these characters, less time off for those side stories... which do actually server a greater purpose towards the central storyline. That's a really nice amount of time to devote to it.

* Good Cast

Yes... it's 80s style acting, so you're going to get over the top stuff. The anchors are Daniel Benzali as the hot shot attorney and Stanley Tucci as the rich Los Angeles wheeler and dealer with all sorts of connections and frankly is up to no good.

Tucci eats up scenery, and if he isn't having fun doing it, *we* are having fun watching him do it. You're never quite sure (up to the point I'm at, 7 episodes in) whether Tucci is the Lead Heel, or if he's just a Heel who has gotten sucked into something Really Bad.

Benzali initially feels one-note, but you actually get a sense that it's how he's playing the character: a great lawyer who gives away *nothing* with his face and reactions so that others can't read him. When he does react, we're take not of it. The performance is a bit like Sir Alec playing Smiley in the various Smiley adaptations, where he goal was to play a master spy who eliminates almost all emotion because a player at the high stakes of a level can't give away *anything*. Benzali isn't quite the Full Sir Alec / Smiley Monty in this, but I'm really digging the performance.

Supporting them are all sorts of good actors, some passing through (like long time TV character actor Kevin Tighe) and some sticking around (Joe Spano from Hill Street Blues). My favorite is John Pleshette as a Hollywood movie producer who just drips with weaselliness that you can't wait to see just how deep he is into all the evil. :)

* Dark

Despite the mostly 80s-style production and writing, it does have a dark murder. 15 year old coke head hooker party girl traveling in the power circles of Los Angeles. You think they could devote 23 episodes to that in today's even edgier network shows without the some groups protesting like hell? :) There's all sorts of sleeze, back stabbing, we've already had another related double murder... while it ain't The Wire on a "social darkness" level, or the original Prime Suspect or Cracker on "this case makes my head hurt" level of darkness... for network level darkness, it's perfectly enjoyable compared to light entertainment. :)

* Quick watching

One of the nice things about having a 23 episode season like this is that you can knock off episodes here and there as you have time. 42 or so minutes a pop, if you've got two hours you can bang out 3 of them. If you've got a half hour to kill before going to bed, you can nail one of them and stay up and extra 15 minutes: no big deal. But at 23 episodes, it's not like you can knock them all off in one setting... unless you're really board and have nothing to do over a weekend. :) But even then it's nice: watch 4 hours worth (lets say 6 episodes), take a break for lunch and a walk... and then jump back into it. It's really flexible.

The difference between this and say (original) Prime Suspect is that series had 200 minute "series", sort of cut into two episodes/parts. The problem is that they tend to be so compelling that at the end of the first part, you need to watch the second part... another close to 2 hours of viewing. So you're sucked into a 3.45 hour watching. This is especially hard when you sit down to watch one at 11PM... and you're not done until 3AM. :P

Murder One is much easier. As much as you might want to watch the next episode, ever 40 or so minutes, you do have the ability to tap out and go to sleep, or head out to get a haircut, or take a break for lunch, or watch that Lakers game. It does make for easy watching.

I'd recommend this to anyone who enjoys 80s / early 90s style TV. I'd say that if you can slip into an 80s mindset to watch and enjoy the Sonny Steelgrave / Mel Profitt story arcs of Wiseguy, than you probably could slip into this with some ease. Not saying it's for every Wiseguy fan, since it's a different genre... but you need to be able to do the same thing of enjoying 20+ episodes of something made in an older style of writing/producing/acting. :)

John
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos wrote:
Understood. The discs do often come with extras, like deleted scenes and commentaries. And sometimes, like with the Smallville Complete Series box, you get really rare stuff. That box came with the pilot of the 1960's Superboy tv show. It's kind of crappy, but it's a neat and rare item.

Plus, I have a pattern of spending too much on things like DVDs and CDs and Books and Comics. Then when I need cash, I sell them off at a big loss. Converting to various forms of digital media has kept me from getting rid of stuff.

I buy a lot less than I once did, and tend to try to get stuff that I'm sure I'll re-watch at some point down the road. So I tend not to sell off / dump. :P

I've bought more in the past year or two than I have in the prior five. But my hold habit was buying too many movies as soon as the came out, often letting them sit around forever (and some still haven't been watched). Now it's TV shows, and I feel a lot better dropping $$$ on 13-24 episodes rather than a 90 minute movie. :)

John
Rian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad Men takes a bit to get into, before the first episode this season I didn't watch any of it on AMC at first. Went back via Netflix and watched all of it over the summer. It's good writing, but you can tell that some of the appeal is simply the clothing and the style.

Save the $$$ and get it via Netflix. Buying DVD's is so passť now.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything That Rises Must Converge: Justified, Season 3, Episode 12
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: