The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

David Letterman to Retire in 2015

View previous topic :: View next topic  
corrado

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: David Letterman to Retire in 2015 Reply with quote

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/david-letterman-to-retire-from-cbs-in-2015-1201152380/

Rumor has it, Stephen Colbert is the favorite to land the 11:35 spot for CBS. That would be very big, considering he is the most buzzed about personality on late nights as of late.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a massive surprise: he's getting older, there isn't really a reason to hang on other than a paycheck (which he's had a lot of over the years), and Jay retiring kind of takes away his foil.

As far as Colbert... Stewart might be the more fitting one (and frankly successful one). He's not in "character", and can interview people straight. The Daily Show also has it's equivs of skits. It would be a good fit.

This would have been a lot easier in the days before Viacom split into CBS and Viacom: they could just have moved the show off of Comedy Central onto CBS. Now... it probably would be more complicated. I don't think the sides are enemies, and they probably could work something out.

John
corrado

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its official. Colbert is taking over next year.

A no-brainer.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a surprise, but still think Stewart / The Daily Show was a better fit.

John
Midline Shift

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly stupid question - will it be Colbert the character or Colbert the person hosting the show?

I love love love the Colbert Report and part of that is the in-character interviews, particularly the wonderful bumbling Better Know A District that makes Ali G interviewing Newt Gingrich look like Frost-Nixon.

Simon
Bob Morris

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read, Colbert is going to drop his Colbert Report personality when he takes over for Letterman.

Although one would suspect he would work "classic Colbert" segments into The Late Show somehow.
corrado

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/03/arts/television/david-letterman-reflects-on-33-years-in-late-night-television.html?src=twr&_r=0

The last interview before the final month of shows
Steve Yohe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen every show Letterman has done. He is my idol. I think he is a great man. But his interviews always suck. I don't think he understands himself. All the shows leading up to the final have been great with all his old people on and all the clips of everyone when they were young.. As for someone who just retired, I think you should stay until they fire you. I guess it helpd if your rich.--Yohe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: