The OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum IndexThe OtherArena Forum Index The OtherArena
"Best not to think about it. I know that's a problem for you... not thinking. " -Steve Yohe

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2010 WWE General Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: 2010 WWE General Thread Reply with quote

Just some place to toss random, ongoing WWE bits.

John
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MITB PPV last night.

SD MITB: Kane wins in a match that Keller had a ****1/4 snowflakes and Dave had as "a great opener". 25+ minutes. Kane winning this isn't something that makes me want to tune in SD.

Raw MITB: Miz wins. Dave with a "really good match" and a "a hell of a show", while Wade went to ****.

Cena-Sheamus cage match: Wade had it at *** and "okay" for a cage match. Don't see Dave judging the match. Sounds bloodless given the new rules.

Sounds like both liked the card a fair amount.

John
kjh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some booking thoughts:

I see the usual conflicted messages by WWE on their conviction of pushing new talent.

It looks like old broken down Undertaker is picking up another lengthy pointless title run, similar to last year, as his reward for rushing back early from his broken orbital bone injury to wrestle at SummerSlam. It sucks to be Rey Mysterio who is clearly too small to ever get a proper title run. It also sucks to be the younger talent on the Smackdown brand, clearly none of whom they feel are ready to be elevated to a higher spot on the card.

Also, John Cena singlehandedly punked out three of the Nexus guys to close the show, ensuring that the Nexus angle continues to lose steam.

I suppose we should rejoice in The Miz deservedly winning the Raw Money In The Bank match, but if Jack Swagger’s botched push is anything to go by, having the briefcase may be a poisoned chalice for him. Feuding with Cena last year in the long run did him no favors. Being in the title mix, probably means rubbing shoulders with Randy Orton and Triple H too and I can’t see that going well either.
corrado

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its really sad to see how far Smackdown has fallen in a year's time. Back then they had Mysterio, Punk, a motivated Jeff Hardy, Edge, jericho. And lots of well-booked, long matches and angles.

Now we have Kane and the Big Show dominating Smackdown. Smackdown has rapidly detorated, and sadly its probably still better than RAW. Anyway, I'm really not enthused about a Kane title reign let alone Kane possibly feuding with the Undertaker again. Its sad to see Jack swagger shunted down now. Still him winning the MITB was one of the highlights of the WWE year because it was so unexpected that nobody saw it coming. And it worked. Till his title reign that is, that was so horribly booked.

Hopefully they learn their lesson with the Miz. I definately want to see the Miz become the WWE champion, but it'll probably be that the Miz will be the first one to unsuccessfully cash it in. Which is a shame for a lot of reasons. One of them being that a good title feud would've been Miz against Danielson. One thing's for certain, Miz has definately surged ahead of his former partner, John Morrison. Who has hit bottom with his awful face run.

Its really come to a point where there's very few positive things in the WWE now. For me its Jericho, Punk, Miz, Regal, Christian and some Swagger, and maybe Wade Barrett Many of those are booked very illogically. I dont think Christian has been booked well since his return. And I dont think the ECW title should count. But a lot of elements of the WWE strike me as stale. The presentation of the show. The setup of the ring. The announcers. Even Striker has fallen off now. They need a rapid overhaul of everything. But it wont happen.

And the Divas nowadays strike me as boring and very bland and no personality. The one exception being Maryse. But I guess that's PG for you. Imagine the PG era having Trish, Stacy Kiebler and Torrie Wilson. Their impact would've been a lot different with lots more boundaries and rules.
corrado

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Bret Hart is slated to return to the ring at Summerslam. Very odd move there. They were hinting on WOL that Ricky Steamboat was supposed to perhaps be part of that big tag match but I guess they scrapped it after his medical issues.

Now they better not turn Bret heel after all of this because a heel Bret in 2010 would be definately awful. Which means they'll probably do it. Part of me also thinks that danielson would've been perfect for the match, rather than say Kahli.

RAW actually wasnt that bad from what I saw. I liked what they did with Miz, and it should be noted he got some big face heat as well, even when R-Truth came out. I guess that says more for Sheamus' heel heat too.
Iron Chad

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAW was about as good as it can get for current WWE. Bret's return was kinda lame, but it's not like any of the workers I really dug (Austin, Rock, Benoit, Eddy) are walking through that door anytime soon, which is why I rarely care. I remember reading about a "surprise return" before I watched RAW on the DVR and racking my brain on who it could be and if I would care. I did not care about Bret. I liked him better when he was a bitter retired guy. I got my fill of Bret before this year's WM.

Sheamus is surprisingly not bad. Orton is OK, but guy is so injury prone, he dislocated his shoulder once while slapping the mat. I can kinda dig Miz with a MITB briefcase, but it will get old if they keep finding ways for him to "almost" cash in the briefcase. It worked last night. Is it a rule in wrestling that your opponent has to be conscious in order to start the match? It makes sense, but I don't recall it coming up before.
matt farmer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdw wrote:
MITB PPV last night.

SD MITB: Kane wins in a match that Keller had a ****1/4 snowflakes and Dave had as "a great opener". 25+ minutes. Kane winning this isn't something that makes me want to tune in SD.

Raw MITB: Miz wins. Dave with a "really good match" and a "a hell of a show", while Wade went to ****.

Cena-Sheamus cage match: Wade had it at *** and "okay" for a cage match. Don't see Dave judging the match. Sounds bloodless given the new rules.

John

Was watching the ppv, but fell asleep...yea and there was like 10 people in the room...THAT's how good the PPV was.
eron

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdw wrote:

It's an attempt to drum up interest when there is very little.

Raw specifically has been a fucking terrible product for the last two months. Smackdown! had a good card recently but otherwise it's been very boring. NXT is entertaining for reasons not associated with wrestling and Superstars is entertaining for reasons only associated with wrestling.

The Pay Per Views haven't been very good but MITB was much better than Fatal 4Way. Keller is being stupid with his snowflakes. There was some creative stuff but that's about it.

For all of the doom and gloom you hear over in TNA, they had been very good close to the last three months. There's always two enjoyable matches on Impact, storylines have at least made some sense and the only guy being misused right now is Desmond Wolfe, which makes people completely forget how well used Jay Lethal, Beer Money and many others are being used.
jdw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meltzer was with Wade on the snowflakes: a pair of **** in the MITB matches, and rated the Rey match higher. Not agreeing with either... just saying that they were on the same page, which isn't always the case.

John
kjh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

**** for a ladder match is a pretty average rating for that type of match.
corradopark

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw RAW last night and it was a pretty lackluster show.

They're making Team cena to be a bunch of goofs who cant get along. And based on next week's RAW Spoilers, two of the better members of that team are going to be written off of that match. Of course this will mean Bret Hart will probably turn heel which no one wants to see again.

Interesting that the Nexus has had very few chinks in the armor. The way they're booked is that they're very dominant. Of course that means they'll lose at Summerslam. But still its interesting to see the WWE book virtual unknowns in a dominating way compared to the WCW Invasion.

I'm still impressed with the Miz. His success story has to be up there in terms of people you would never expect to be in the main-event level. From his disasterous first couple of years, he has improved more than anyone the past few years.

And also the GM gimmick has to be one of the lamer ones. This year. From the lights flickering, to Cole announcing the matches that are made, to the catchphrases at the end. Just crap. better though than lame celebrity hosts.

As for Smackdown, its still medicore. Im not looking forward to another Mysterio/kane feud. I do like the progression of Cody Rhodes. His entrance and music are great. Hopefully he improves the rest of his game.
eron

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

corradopark wrote:
The way they're booked is that they're very dominant. Of course that means they'll lose at Summerslam. But still its interesting to see the WWE book virtual unknowns in a dominating way compared to the WCW Invasion.

I think they put back Survivor Series so they lose then.

corradopark wrote:
I'm still impressed with the Miz. His success story has to be up there in terms of people you would never expect to be in the main-event level. From his disasterous first couple of years, he has improved more than anyone the past few years.

I'm impressed too, but I don't think his promos have been as good as people have been making them out to be, and he really hasn't impressed me at all in the ring. I like his aggressive style but he doesn't really do anything with it.

corradopark wrote:
I do like the progression of Cody Rhodes. His entrance and music are great. Hopefully he improves the rest of his game.

I'd call Cody Rhodes the best bumper in the WWE right now. Probably the best seller as well. He just needs to add a lot more to his offence.
Iron Chad

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WWE's quarterly earnings report came out and it wasn't too hot. From Dave's blurb on Vince's conference call:

Quote:
Vince said it wa a lousy quarter, blaming the retirements of Shawn Michaels and Batista and injuries to Undertaker, Shawn Michaels and HHH, as well as the Icelandic volcano.

That damn volcano. I guess the oil spill will be responsible if WWE earnings are soft next quarter.
kjh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, PPV business is absolutely in the toilet:

Quote:
The PPV numbers were 197,000 for Over the Limit, 182,000 for Extreme Rules and 143,000 for Fatal Four Way. Fatal Four Way would be the lowest buy rate in company history except December to Dismember.

You'd have to go back to the dark days of the mid 90s to find a period where the company did three straight shows under 200,000 buys and that was a time when they didn't have the international PPV penetration that they do today. Not a good long term sign for the company.
kjh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iron Chad wrote:
WWE's quarterly earnings report came out and it wasn't too hot. From Dave's blurb on Vince's conference call:

Quote:
Vince said it wa a lousy quarter, blaming the retirements of Shawn Michaels and Batista and injuries to Undertaker, Shawn Michaels and HHH, as well as the Icelandic volcano.

That damn volcano. I guess the oil spill will be responsible if WWE earnings are soft next quarter.

Vince's comments aren't as stupid as Dave's summary makes them sound.

Quote:
"In the second quarter, our performance fell below management expectations as trends weakened in the latter part of the quarter. Although we believe the continued softness in the economy played a part in our results, recent changes in our talent base may have also impacted key operating metrics, particularly domestic pay-per-view buys and live event attendance," stated Vince McMahon, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. "In addition, our profitability was negatively affected by the reduction in revenue from high margin businesses and by the logistical costs related to the Icelandic volcano. We view some of these factors as temporary and, looking ahead, we remain confident in our ability to address these challenges by producing compelling content and cultivating consumer demand. On a positive note, the second quarter reflected improved results in our Home Video business and our continued success in managing our expenses."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The OtherArena Forum Index -> Wrestling All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: